- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Efficiency Analysis and Strategic Portfolio Model of National Health Technology R&D Program Using DEA : Focused on Translational Research
DEA를 이용한 보건의료기술 R&D 사업의 효율성 분석과 전략적 포트폴리오 모형 : 중개연구를 중심으로
- Lee, Cheolhaeng (Bureau of Health Technology R&D Planning and Budget Management, Korea Health Industry Development Institute) ;
- Cho, Keuntae (Department of Systems Management Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2013.11.14
- Accepted : 2014.02.04
- Published : 2014.04.15
This paper measures and compares the efficiency of national health technology R&D programs focused on translational research program increasing importance using data envelopment analysis (DEA). Three input variables and three output variables are selected for DEA. Inputs are funds, researchers, and project period and outputs are SCI (E) papers, applied and granted patents, and impact factor. This study uses a three-stage approach. In the first stage, output-based DEA model is applied to evaluate the efficiency of decision making unit (DMU). In the second stage, based on efficiency scores of target diseases high-efficiency group and low-efficiency group are classified. And then strategic portfolio matrix of translational research program is composed of four dimensions combining research types. Mann-Whitney U test is then run to compare average efficiency scores among four groups. In the final stage, Tobit regression model is used to estimate factors likely to influence the efficiency. The results are expected to provide policy implications for effectively establishing investment strategy and managing performance of R&D program.
- Bae, J. H. (2013), Efficiency Comparison and Performance Targets for Academic Departments in the Local Private College Using DEA, Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, 39(4), 298-312. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2013.39.4.298
- Baek, C. W. and Lee, S. B. (2010), A study on R&D efficiency with the consideration of qualitative performance, Productivity Review, 24(4), 251-274. https://doi.org/10.15843/kpapr.24.4.201012.251
- Banker, R. D., Charnes, A., and Cooper, W. W. (1984), Some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis, Management Science, 30(9), 1078-1092. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.30.9.1078
- Byun, S. K. and Han, J. H. (2009), Efficiency estimations for the government driven R&D projects in IT industries, Hannam Journal of Law and Technology, 15(2), 179-206.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W. W., and Rodes, E. (1978), Measuring the efficiency of decision making units, European Journal of Operational Research, 2(6), 429-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8
- Cho, K. T. and Kim, S. M. (2003), Selecting medical devices and materials for development in Korea: the analytic hierarchy process approach, International Journal of Health Planning and Management, 18(2), 161-174. https://doi.org/10.1002/hpm.703
- Choi, J. Y., Kim, K. S., and Kim, D. H. (2010), Productive Efficiency of the Coastal Fishing Business : A Comparison of Data Envelopment Analysis and Stochastic Frontier Analysis, Journal of the Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society, 35(3), 59-68.
- Chun, H. and Lee, H. Y. (2013), A DEA-Based Portfolio Model for Performance Management of Online Games, Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, 39(4), 260-270. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2013.39.4.260
- Cooper W. W., Park, K., and Pastor, J. T. (1999), RAM : A Range Adjusted Measure of Inefficiency for use with Additive Model, and Relations to Other Models and Measures in DEA, Journal of Productivity Analysis, 11(1), 5-42. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007701304281
- Ernst, H. (1995), Patenting strategies in the German mechanical engineering industry and their relationship to firm performance, Technovation, 15(4), 225-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-4972(95)96605-S
- Fare, R. (1988), Fundamentals of Production Theory, Springer Verlag, Heidelberg.
- Fare, R., Grosskopf, S., and Lovell, C. A. K. (1994), Production Frontiers, Cambridge University Press, New York.
- Farrell, M. J. (1957), The Measurement of Productivity Efficiency, Journal of Royal Statistical Society, 120(3), 253-267. https://doi.org/10.2307/2343100
- Fontanarosa, P. B. and DeAngelis, C. D. (2002), Basic Science and Translational Research in JAMA, Journal of the American Medical Association, 287(13), 1728. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.287.13.1728
- Han, D. S. and Shin, M. C. (2010), Efficiency Evaluation of Academic Research Support Program, Research of Governmental Studies, 16(3), 185-215.
- Hsu, F. M. and Hsueh, C. C. (2009), Measuring relative efficiency of government-sponsored R&D projects : A three-stage approach, Evaluation and Program Planning, 32(2), 178-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2008.10.005
- Hwang, S. W. et al. (2009), Efficiency of National R&D Investment, STEPI, Seoul, Korea.
- Jeon, S. J. and Lee, C. U. (2011), Measure the Productivity of Airports in Korea Considering Environment Factor: An Application of DEA, Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, 37(4), 370-357. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2011.37.4.350
- Kim, J. H., Kim, H. S., Leem, B. N., and Yoon, J. H. (2012), Analyzing the National Medical Service Efficiency of OECD Countries Using DEA and Malmquist Productivity Index, Journal of the Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society, 37(4), 125-138. https://doi.org/10.7737/JKORMS.2012.37.4.125
- Kim, J. H. and Park, S. B. (2004), Comparative Analysis of R&D Efficiency of National Research Laboratory by Technology areas and Research groups, Science and Technology Policy, 14(2), 21-36.
- Kim, S. K., Ahn, D. H., Kim, H. J., and Shin, K. S. (2012), How to Make Healthcare industry More Competitive Through Innovation, Science and Technology Policy Institute, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, T. H., Kim, I. H., Ahn, S. B., and Lee, K. S. (2009), A Way to Enhance Efficiency of Nuclear Program in Korean R&D Program by Data Envelopment Analysis, Journal of Korea technology innovation society, 12(1), 70-87.
- Lee, H. Y. and Park, Y. T. (2005), An international comparison of R&D efficiency : DEA approach, Asian Journal of Technology Innovation, 13(2), 207-222. https://doi.org/10.1080/19761597.2005.9668614
- Lee, H. Y., Park, Y. T., and Choi, H. O. (2009), Comparative evaluation of performance of national R&D programs with heterogeneous objectives : A DEA approach, European Journal of Operational Research, 196(3), 847-855. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2008.06.016
- Lee, J. D. and Oh, D. H. (2012), Theory of efficiency analysis : Data Envelopment Analysis, JIPHIL Media, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, S. H., Kim, S. Y., and Lee, S. J. (2011), Ripple Effect Analysis of Regional Industry Technology Development Using DEA, The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 9(6), 1-10.
- Lee, S. Y. et al. (2013), 2012 Survey and Analysis Report of National R&D Programs, Korea Institute of S&T Evaluation and Planning, Seoul, Korea.
- McGlyn, E. A. et al. (2003), The Quality of Health Care Delivered to Adults in the United States, New England Journal of Medicine, 348(26), 2635-2645. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa022615
- Minna, J. D. and Gazdar, A. F. (1996), Translational research comes of age, Nature Medicine, 2, 974-975. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm0996-974
- OECD (2001), OECD Science, Technology, and Industry Scoreboard, OECD, Paris.
- Park, S. D. and Hong, S. K. (2003), A Cross-Country Analysis of the Efficiency and Productivity of R&D System Using Non-parametric Methods, Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 11(2), 151-173.
- Park, S. J., Kim, K. H., and Jeong, S. K. (2011), The Study on the Analysis of Efficiency of Governmental R&D Programs Regarding to the S&T Outcomes, Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 14(2), 205-222.
- Rustgi, A. K. (1999), Translational Research: What is It?, Gastroenterology, 116, 1285. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(99)70488-9
- Shephard, R. W. (1970), Theory of Cost and production functions, Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- Sim, G. S. and Kim, J. Y. (2009), DEA-AR/AHP Model Design for Efficiency Evaluation of Metropolitan Rapid Transit, Journal of the Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society, 34(3), 105-124.
- Wang, E. C. and Huang, W. (2007), Relative efficiency of R&D activities: A cross-country study accounting for environmental factors in the DEA approach, Research Policy, 36(2), 260-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2006.11.004
- Yu, S. J. et al. (2009), 2009 In-depth Evaluation Report of National Health Technology R&D Programs, Korea Institute of S&T Evaluation and Planning, Seoul, Korea.
- Zerhouni, E. (2005a), US Biomedical Research: Basic, Translational, and Clinical Sciences, Journal of the American Medical Association, 294(11), 1352-1358. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.11.1352
- Zerhouni, E. (2005b), Translational and Clinical Science-Time for a New Vision, New England Journal of Medicine, 353(15), 1621-1623. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsb053723
- Zerhouni, E. and Alving, B. (2006), Clinical and Translational Science Awards: a Framework for a National Research Agenda, Translational Research, 148, 4-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lab.2006.05.001
- The Framework for the Strategy of Research & Business Development vol.44, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7469/JKSQM.2016.44.4.785