- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Stud and Puzzle-Strip Shear Connector for Composite Beam of UHPC Deck and Inverted-T Steel Girder
초고성능 콘크리트 바닥판과 역T형 강거더의 합성보를 위한 스터드 및 퍼즐스트립 전단연결재에 관한 연구
- Lee, Kyoung-Chan (High-Speed Railroad System Research Center, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Joh, Changbin (Structural Engineering Research Division, Korea Institute of Construction Technology) ;
- Choi, Eun-Suk (Structural Engineering Research Division, Korea Institute of Construction Technology) ;
- Kim, Jee-Sang (Dept. of Civil & Architectural Engineering, Seokyeong University)
- 이경찬 (한국철도기술연구원 고속철도연구본부) ;
- 조창빈 (한국건설기술연구원 인프라구조연구실) ;
- 최은석 (한국건설기술연구원 인프라구조연구실) ;
- 김지상 (서경대학교 토목건축공학과)
- Received : 2013.09.13
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2014.04.30
Since recently developed Ultra-High-Performance-Concrete (UHPC) provides very high strength, stiffness, and durability, many studies have been made on the application of the UHPC to bridge decks. Due to high strength and stiffness of UHPC bridge deck, the structural contribution of top flange of steel girder composite to UHPC deck would be much lower than that of conventional concrete deck. At this point of view, this study proposes a inverted-T shaped steel girder composite to UHPC deck. This girder requires a new type of shear connector because conventional shear connectors are welded on top flange. This study also proposes three different types of shear connectors, and evaluate their ultimate strength via push-out static test. The first one is a stud shear connector welded directly to the web of the girder in the transverse direction. The second one is a puzzle-strip type shear connector developed by the European Commission, and the last one is the combination of the stud and the puzzle-strip shear connectors. Experimental results showed that the ultimate strength of the transverse stud was 26% larger than that given in the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, but a splitting crack observed in the UHPC deck was so severe that another measure needs to be developed to prevent the splitting crack. The ultimate strength of the puzzle-strip specimen was 40% larger than that evaluated by the equation of European Commission. The specimens combined with stud and puzzle-strip shear connectors provided less strength than arithmetical sum of those. Based on the experimental observations, there appears to be no advantage of combining transverse stud and puzzle-strip shear connectors.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)
- John, H. and George, S., The Implementation of Full Depth UHPC Waffle Bridge Deck Panels, Federal Highway Administration Highways for LIFE Technology Partnerships Program, 2010.
- Harris, D. K. and Roberts-Wollmann, C. L., Characterization of the Punching Shear Capacity of Thin Ultra-High Performance Concrete Slabs, Final Report, Virginia Transportation Research Council, Charlottesville, VA, 2005.
- Naaman, A. E. and Chandrangsu, K., "Innovative Bridge Deck System Using High-Performance Fiber-Reinforced Cement Composites," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 101, No. 1, 2004, pp. 57-64. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.14359/12998) https://doi.org/10.14359/12998
- Naaman, A. E., Likhitruangsilp, V., and Parra-Montesinos, G., "Punching Shear Response of High-Performance Fiber-Reinforced Cementitious Composite Slabs," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 104, No. 2, 2007, pp. 170-179. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.14359/18529) https://doi.org/10.14359/18529
- Toutlemonde, F., "Fatigue Performance of UHPFRC Ribbed Slab Applied as a Road Bridge Deck Verified According to the Eurocodes," Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Concrete under Severe Conditions, Tours, France, 2007, pp. 1191-1200.
- Feldman, M., Hechler O., Hegger, J., and Rauscher S., "Fatigue Behavior of Shear Connectors in High Performance Concrete," International Conference on Composite Construction in Steel and Concrete VI, 2008, pp. 78-91.
- European Commission, EUR 25321-Prefabricated Enduring Composite Beams Based on Innovative Shear Transmission (Preco-Beam), RFSR-CT-2006- 00030, Final Report, 2009.
- Hegger, J., Feldmann, M., Rauscher, S., and Hechler, O., "Load-Deformation Behavior of Shear Connectors in High Strength Concrete Subjected to Static and Fatigue Loading," IABSE Symposium Report Budapest 2006: Responding to Tomorrow's Challenge in Structural Engineering, IABSE, 2006, pp. 17-24.
- Hechler, O., Berthellemy, J., Lorenc, W., Seidl, G., and Viefhues, E., "Continuous Shear Connectors in Bridge Construction," International Conference on Composite Construction in Steel and Concrete VI, 2008, pp. 78-91.
- Dudzinski, W., Pekalski, G., Harnatkiewicz, P., Kopczynski, A., Lorenc, W., Kozuch, M., and Rowinski, S., "Study on Fatigue Cracks in Steel-Concrete Shear Connection with Composite Dowels," Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 4, 2011, pp. 839-858. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1644-9665(12)60081-8
- Korea Institute of Construction Technology (KICT), Development of Design and Construction System Technology for Hybrid Cable Stayed Bridge, KICT 2011-076, KICT, Korea, 2011 (in Korean).
- Korea Concrete Institute, Design Recommendations for Ultra-High Performance Concrete K-UHPC, KCI-M-12-003, Korea, 2012 (in Korean).
- Yang, I. H., Joh, C., Lee, J. W., and Kim, B. S., "Torsional Behavior of Ultra-High Performance Concrete Squared Beams," Engineering Structures, Vol. 56, 2013, pp. 372-383. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.027) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.027
- Park, J. S., Kim, Y. J., Cho, J. R., and Jeon, S. J., "Characteristics of Strength Development of Ultra-High Performance Concrete according to Curing Condition," Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 25, No. 3, 2013, pp. 295-304 (in Korean). (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2013.25.3.295) https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2013.25.3.295
- CEN, 1994-4-4 Eurocode 4: Design of Composite Steel and Concrete Structures, Part 1-1: General Rules and Rules for Buildings, 2004.
- CEN. 1994-2 Eurocode 4: Design of Composite Steel and Concrete Structures, Part 2: General Rules and Rules for Bridges, 2005.
- AASHTO, AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, 4th Edition, Washington, D.C., 2007.
- Analysis of Flexural Behavior of Composite Beam with Steel Fiber Reinforced Ultra High Performance Concrete Deck and Inverted-T Shaped Steel with Tension Softening Behavior vol.27, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2015.27.2.185
- A Study on the Experiment of Flexural Behavior of Composite Beam with Steel Fiber Reinforced UHPC and Inverted-T Steel Considering Compressive Strength Level vol.27, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2015.27.6.677
- Experiment of Flexural Behavior of Composite Beam with Steel Fiber Reinforced Ultra High Performance Concrete Deck and Inverted-T Steel Girder vol.26, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2014.26.6.761