- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Generalized Lateral Load-Displacement Relationship of Reinforced Concrete Shear Walls
철근콘크리트 전단벽의 횡하중-횡변위 관계의 일반화
- Mun, Ju-Hyun (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Kyonggi University Graduate School) ;
- Yang, Keun-Hyeok (Dept. of Plant.Architectural Engineering, Kyonggi University)
- Received : 2013.09.24
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2014.04.30
This study generalizes the lateral load-displacement relationship of reinforced concrete shear walls from the section analysis for moment-curvature response to straightforwardly evaluate the flexural capacity and ductility of such members. Moment and curvature at different selected points including the first flexural crack, yielding of tensile reinforcing bar, maximum strength, 80% of the maximum strength at descending branch, and fracture of tensile reinforcing bar are calculated based on the strain compatibility and equilibrium of internal forces. The strain at extreme compressive fiber to determine the curvature at the descending branch is formulated as a function of reduction factor of maximum stress of concrete and volumetric index of lateral reinforcement using the stress-strain model of confined concrete proposed by Razvi and Saatcioglu. The moment prediction models are simply formulated as a function of tensile reinforcement index, vertical reinforcement index, and axial load index from an extensive parametric study. Lateral displacement is calculated by using the moment area method of idealized curvature distribution along the wall height. The generalized lateral load-displacement relationship is in good agreement with test result, even at the descending branch after ultimate strength of shear walls.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP), 한국 연구재단
- Park, R. and Paulay, T., Reinforced Concrete Structures, Wiley Interscience Publication, New Jersey, USA, 1933, 769 pp.
- ACI Committee 318, Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318M-11) and Commentary, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA, 2011, 503 pp.
- European Standard EN 1992-1-1:2004, Eurocode 2 : Design of Concrete Structures, British Standard, Brussels, Belgium, 2004, 225 pp.
- Wallace, J. W. and Thomsen IV, J. H., "Seismic Design of RC Structural Walls. Part II: Application," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 121, No. 1, 1995, pp. 88-101. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:1(88)
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M. J. N., Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, Wiley Interscience Publication, New Jersey, USA, 1992, 768 pp.
- Kang, S. M. and Park, H. G., "Ductility Confinement of RC Rectangular Shear Wall," Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 14, No. 4, 2002, pp. 530-539. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2002.14.4.530
- Razvi, S. and Saatcioglu, M., "Confinement Model for High-Strength Concrete," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 125, No. 3, 1999, pp. 281-289. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:3(281)
- Ali, A. and Wight, J. K., "RC Structural Walls with Staggered Door Openings," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 117, No. 5, 1991, pp. 1514-1531. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1991)117:5(1514)
- Thomsen, IV. J. H. and Wallace, J. H., "Displacement-Based Design of Slender Reinforced Concrete Structural Walls-Experimental Verification," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 130, No. 4, 2004, pp. 618-630. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:4(618)
- Kim, L. B., "Seismic Performance of Free-Edge Wall-Ends with Interlocking Spiral Reinforcement," M. S. Thesis, Department of Architecture, Seoul National University, South Korea, 2001, 88 pp.
- Yang, K. H., "Development of Performance-Based Design Guideline for High-Density Concrete Walls," Technical Report (2nd. year), Kyonggi University, 2013, 115 pp.
- Cardenas, A. E. and Magura, D. D., "Strength of High-Rise Shear Walls-Rectangular Cross Section," ACI Special Publication, Vol. 36, 1972, pp. 119-150.
- Kang, S. M. and Park, H. G., "Moment-Curvature Relationship of Structural Walls with Confined Boundary Element," Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 15, No. 2, 2003, pp. 323-334. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2003.15.2.323
- Yang, K. H., Mun, J. H., and Kim, G. H., "Complete Stress-Strain Model of Unconfined Concrete Generalized by Compressive Strength and Unit Weight," ACI Material Journal, Accepted, 2013.
- Sawyer, H. A., "Design of Concrete Frames for Two Failure Stages," Proceedings of the International Symposium on Flexural Mechanics of Reinforced Concrete, ASCE-ACI, MI, 1964, pp. 405-431.
- Mattock, A. H., "Discussion of 'Rotational Capacity of Reinforced Concrete Beams' by W. G. Corley," Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, Vol. 93, No. ST2, 1967, pp. 519-522.
- Bohl, A. and Adebar, P., "Plastic Hinge Lengths in High-Rise Concrete Shear Walls," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 108, No. 2, 2011, pp. 148-157.
- Simplified Moment-Curvature Relationship Model of Reinforced Concrete Columns Considering Confinement Effect vol.28, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2016.28.3.279