- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Supplementation with Garlic Extract on Immune Responses and Diseases Resistance of Olive Flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus
사료 내 마늘 추출액 첨가가 넙치(Paralichthys olivaceus)의 비특이적 면역반응 및 질병저항성에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Seung Min (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University) ;
- Jun, Lyu Jin (Marine and Environmental Research Institute, Jeju National University) ;
- Yeo, In-Kyu (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University) ;
- Jeon, You-Jin (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University) ;
- Lee, Kyeong-Jun (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University) ;
- Jeong, Hyun Do (Department of Aquatic Life Medicine, Pukyong National University) ;
- Jeong, Joon Bum (Faculty of Marine Biomedical Science, Jeju National University)
- 김승민 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 전려진 (제주대학교 해양과환경연구소) ;
- 여인규 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 전유진 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 이경준 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 정현도 (부경대학교 수산생명의학과) ;
- 정준범 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부)
- Received : 2013.10.11
- Accepted : 2014.03.25
- Published : 2014.04.30
In this study, we investigated the effects of dietary 1% garlic extract on nonspecific immune responses and fish diseases (Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus, Vibrio anguillarum, Streptococcus iniae and Edwardsiella tarda) resistance in olive flounder Paralichthys olivaceus. Fish were fed a commercial diets supplemented with 1% garlic extract for 4 weeks. After the 4 weeks feeding experiment, the artificial infection was made by V. anguillarum, S. iniae, E. tarda and VHSV. And the cumulative mortality was monitored for 2 weeks after artificial infection. The cumulative mortalities decreased in all experiments except for group of E. tarda compared to control group. We observed significantly higher levels of the hematocrit, glucose, total protein, lysozyme activity and the macrophage activity in the experimental group compared to the control group. In the experiments of drug sensitivity and MIC using the three bacteria (V. anguillarum, S. iniae and E. tarda), 1% garlic extract was more effective than the previously reported fermented garlic powder. These results suggested that garlic extract can increase the disease resistance of olive flounder against V. anguillarum, S. iniae and VHSV and the ability of nonspecific immune responses.
Supported by : 제주대학교
- Casillas, E., Ames, W.: Serum chemistry of diseased English sole, Parophrys vetulus Girard, from polluted areas of Puget Sound, Washington. Joumal of Fish Diseases 8: 437-449, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2761.1985.tb01277.x
- Cavallito, C.J., Bailey, J.H.: Allicin, the antibacterial principle of Allium sativum. II. Determination of the chemical structure. Joumal of American. Chemical. Society 66: 1950-1951, 1944. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01239a048
- Chang, Y.J., Park, M.R., Kang, D.Y., Lee, B.K.: Physiological responses of cultured olive flounder (Paralichthysolivaceus) on series of lowering seawatertemperature sharply and continuously. Jourmal-Korean Fisheries Society 32: 601-606, 1999.
- Chen, D., Ainsworth, A.J.: Glucan admonistration potentiates immune defense mechanism of channel catfish, Ictaluruspunatatus Rafinesque. Joumal of Fish Disseases 15: 295-304, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2761.1992.tb00667.x
- Choi, M.S., Park, S.W., Park, K.H.: Effect of red ginseong extract on immune function of israeli carp, Cyprinuscarpio.Journal of Korea Fish Pathology18: 277-285, 2005.
- Chrisybapita, D., Divyagnaneswari, M., Dinakaran, M.R.: Oral administration of Ecliptaalba leaf aqueous extract enhances the non-specific immune responses and disease resistance of Oreochromis mossambicus. Fish & Shellfish Immunology 23: 840-852, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsi.2007.03.010
- Chun, H.J., Lee, S.W.: Studies on antioxidative action of garlic components isolated from garlic (Allium sativum. L). Part 1. Effects of garlic components on electron donating ability and inhibitory effect of lipoperoxide formation. Journal of Korea Home Economics Association 24: 43-51, 1984.
- Chung, J.Y., Kim, C.S.: Antioxidant activities of domestic garlic (AlliumsativumL.)stems from different areas. Journal of the Korea Society Food Science and Nutrnition 37: 972-978, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.8.972
- Davis., K.B., Parker, N.C.: Physiological stress in striped bass: Effect of acclimation temperature. Aquaculture 91: 349-358, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(90)90199-W
- Engstad, R.E., Robertson, B., Frivold, E.: Yeast glucan induce increase in activity of lysozyme and complement-mediated haemolytic activity in Atlantic salmon blood. Fish & Shellfish Immunology 2(4): 287-297, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-4648(06)80033-1
- Gordon, R.B.: Distribution of transaminases (Aminotransferases) in the tissue of the Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus) with emphasis on the properties and diagnostic use of glutamic oxaloacetictransaminase. Joumal of the Fisheries Board of Canada 25: 1247-1268, 1968. https://doi.org/10.1139/f68-108
- Hong, Y.S., Ham, Y.A., Choi, J.H., Kim, J.: Effects of allylsulfur compounds and garlic extract on the expression of Bcl-2, Bax, and p53 in non small cell lung cancer cell lines. Experimental and Molecular Medicine 32: 127-134, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1038/emm.2000.22
- Hur, J.W.: Physiological responses of fishes to the artificial stresses in the process of aquaculture. A Doctor's Thesis, Pukyong National University, Busan, 2002.
- Jorgensen, J.B., Lunde, H., Robertsen, B.: Peritoneal and head kidney cell response to intraperitoneally injected yeast glucan in At-lantic salmon, Salmosalar L. J Fish Dis 16: 313-325, 1993a https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2761.1993.tb00865.x
- Jorgensen, N., Glwercman, A., Muller, J.: Immunohistochemical markers of carcinoma of the testis also expressed in normal infantile germ cells. Histopathology 4: 373-378, 1993b.
- Jung, S.H., Lee, J.S., Han, H.K., Jun, C.Y., Lee, H.Y.: Effects of medical herb extract on non specific immune response, haematology and disease resistance on Olive flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus by oral administration. Journal of Korea Fish Pathology 15: 25-35, 2002.
- Kajita, Y., Sakai, M., Kobayashi, M., Kawaushi, H.: Enhancement of non-specific cytotoxic activity of leucocytes in rainbow trout Oncorhynchusmykiss injected with growth hormone. Fish&Shellfish Immumol 2: 155-157, 1991.
- Kang, J.C., Jee, J.H., Song, S.Y., Moon, S.W.: Effects of oral administration with fermented product from sewage in land-based seawater fish farm on haematological factors of olive flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus. Journal of Korea Fish Pathology 17: 57-66, 2004.
- Katsuzi, N., Park, M.H., Ha, S.D., Kim, G.H..: Effects of Garlic Extract for Protecting the Infection of Influenza Virus. Journal of Korean Society Food Science and Nutrition 29: 128-133, 2000.
- Kim, J.D., Kim, Y.C., Kim, K.S., Woo, S.H., Park, S.W.: The effect of omae Prunus mume extract on the immune response and growth rate of Japanese eel Anguilla japonica. Journal of Korea Fish Pathology. 367-374, 2009.
- Kim, K.J., Do, J.R., Kim, H.K.: Antimicrobial, antihypertensive and anticancer activities of garlic extracts. Journal of Korea Food Science and Technology 37: 228-232, 2005.
- Kim, S.S., Galaz, G.B., Lee, Y.D.: Effects of dietary supplementation of spirulina and as taxanthin for juvenile olive flounder, Paralichthy soliveaceus in low temperature seaseon. Journal of Aquaculture 19, 57-63, 2006.
- Kim, Y.C.: The dietary supplementing effects of Kugija, Lycium chinense, on immune responses of Nile tilapia , Oreochromis niloticus, to Edwardsiella tarda. Pukyong university Journal of Korea Fish pathology 12: 73-81, 1999.
- Kim, Y.D,, Kim, K.M., Hur, C.K., Kim, E.S., Cho, I.K., Kim, K.: Antimicrobial activity of garlic extracts according to different cooking methods. Journal of Korea Food Preservation. 11, 400-404, 2004.
- Kumari, J., Sahoo, P.K.: Seasonal variation in the innate immune parameters of the Asian catfish Clariasbatrachus. Aquaculture 252: 121-127, 2005.
- Mok, J.S., Song, K.C., Choi, N.J., Yang, H.S.: Antibacterial Activity of Ethanol Extract of Root bark of Morus alba against Selected Fish pathogenic Bacteria. 12: 211-226, 2001.
- Mun, H.Y., Lee, H.S., Park, J.H., Kim, D.H., Lee, S.Y., Seong, N.S., Bang, J.K., Jung, H.G., Lee, H.Y.: Enhancement of immune activities of Ganoderma lucidum mycelium cultured with garlic enriched mudium. Journal of Korea Medicinal Crop. Science 12: 24-30, 2004.
- Nakagawa, H., Tsuta, K., Kiuchi, K., Senzaki, H., Tanaka, K., and Hioki, A.: Growth inhibitory effects of dially1 disulfide on human breast cancer cell lines. Carcinogenesis 22: 891-897, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/22.6.891
- Park, K.Y., Lee, S.J., Lee, K.I., Rhee, S.H.: The antitumor effect in Sarcoma-180 tumor cell of mice administered with Japanese apricot, garlic or ginger Doenjang. Journal of Korea Food Cookery Science 21: 599-606, 2005.
- Rao, P.P., Joseph, K.V., Rao, K.J.: Histopathological and biochemical change in the liver of a fresh water fish exposed to heptachlor. Joumal of Naturalist Conserv 2: 33-137, 1990.
- Rivlin, R.S.: Historical perspective on the use of garlic. Joumal of nutrition 131: 951-954, 2001.
- Sharma, K.K., Sharma, A.L., Dwivedi, K.K., Sharma, P.K.: Effect of raw and boiled garlic on blood cholesterol in butter fat lipidemia. The Ind. Joumal of Nutr ration Dieter 13: 7-11, 1976.
- Shin, J.H., Jung, K.M., Lee, S.J., Yang, S.M., Rue, G.H., Sung, N.J.: Biological activities of dried garlic, red ginseng and their mixture. Journal of Korea Society Food Science Nutrition 38: 1633-1639, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1633
- Shon, H.E., Lee, J.Y., Kim, D.C., Hwang, W.I.: Enhancement of anticancer activity bycombination of Shon HE, Lee JY, Kim DC and Hwang WI. 2001. Enhancement of anticancer activity by combination of 38: 1633-1639, 2001.
- Takahashi, Y., Itami, T., Konegawa, K.: Enzymatic properties of partially lysozyme from the skin mucus of carp. Bulletin of the Japanese Society Fisheries 52: 1209-1214, 1986. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.52.1209
- Wi, S.U.: Isolation of allicin in garlic and its quantitative determination by high performance liquid chromatography and studies on the antimicrobial effects of allicin and ethanol extracts from korean garlic (Alliiumsativum L.) Journal of Korean Society Food Science Nutrition 16: 296-302, 2003.
- Wu, C.C., Chung, J.G., Tsai, S.J., Yang, J.H., Sheen, L.Y.: Differential effects of ally1 sulfides from garlic essential oil on cell cycle regulation in human liver tumor cells. Food and Chemical toxicology: an intermational Joumal published for the British Industrial Biological Research Association 42: 1937, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2004.07.008
- Yeh, SP., Chang, C.A., Chang, C.Y., Liu, C.H., Cheng, W.: Dietary sodium alginate administration affects fingerling growth and resistance to Streptococcussp. and iridovirus, and juvenile non-specific immune responses of the orange-spotted grouper, Epinepheluscocioides. Fish&Shell fish Immunol 25: 19-27, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsi.2007.11.011
- Yoon, I.S.: Sensitivity Test on the Food Poisoning Bacteria of the Garlic Extract. Journal of Korea Contents Association 2: 339-349, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.2.339
- Antibacterial activity of isothiocyanates from cruciferous vegetables against pathogenic bacteria in olive flounder vol.22, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.6.886
- Determination of Mass Culture Method of Marine-derived Micro Organism, Bacillus sp. 2-4 (KCCMI 11107P) with Antimicrobial Acitivity vol.30, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.02.30.1.123