- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Drought Effect on Groundwater System using Groundwater Level Data in Jeju Island
지하수위 자료를 이용한 제주도 지하수계의 가뭄 영향 평가
- Received : 2014.02.10
- Accepted : 2014.04.09
- Published : 2014.04.30
Quantitative assessment of groundwater level change under extreme event is important since groundwater system is directly affected by drought. Substantially, groundwater level fluctuation reveals to be delayed from several hours to few months after raining according to the aquifer characteristics. Groundwater system in Jeju Island would be also affected by drought and almost all regions were suffered from a severe drought during summer season (July to September) in 2013. To estimate the effect of precipitation to groundwater system, monthly mean groundwater levels in 2013 compared to those in the past from 48 monitoring wells belong to be largely affected by rainfall(Dr) over Jeju Island were analyzed. Mean groundwater levels during summer season recorded 100 mm lowered of precipitation compared to the past 30 years became decreased to range from 2.63 m to 5.42 m in southern region compared to the past and continued to December. These decreasing trends are also found in western(from -1.21 m to -4.06 m), eastern(-0.91 m to -3.24 m), and northern region(from 0.58 m to -4.02 m), respectively. Moreover, the response of groundwater level from drought turned out to be -3.80 m in August after delaying about one month. Therefore, severe drought in 2013 played an important role on groundwater system in Jeju Island and the effect of drought for groundwater level fluctuation was higher in southern region than other ones according to the regional difference of precipitation decrease.
Groundwater system;Drought;Variation type;Groundwater level
- Kim, S. S., Jang, S. M., Baek, H. J., Choi, H. Y., Kwon, W. T., 2006, Climatological variability of temperature and precipitation in Jeju, Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 27(2), 188-197.
- Freeze, R. A., Cherry, J. A., 1979, Groundwater. Prentice- Hall.
- Kim, G. B., Lee, S. H., 2012, Applicability of logistic regression model of groundwater levels to drought forecast, Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 48(3), 275-284.
- Kim, G. B., Yun, H. H., Kim, D. H., 2006, Relationship between standardized precipitation index and groundwater levels: a proposal for establishment of drought index wells, Journal of Soil and Groundwater Environment, 11(3), 31-42.
- McKee, T. B., Doesken, N. J., Kleist, J., 1993, The relationship of drought frequency and duration of time scales, 8th Conference on Applied Climatology, January, Aneheim, CA, 179-184.
- Segye Daily News, 2013, http://www.segye.com/content/html/2013/08/06/20130806003849.html
- Song, S. H., Yoo, S. H., Bae, S. J., 2013b, Regional drought assessment considering climate change and relationship with agricultural water in Jeju Island, Journal of Environmental Science International, 22(5), 625-638. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2013.22.5.625
- Sherif, M. M., Singh, V. P., 1999, Effect of climate change on sea water intrusion in coastal aquifer, Hydrological Processes, 13, 1277-1287. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1085(19990615)13:8<1277::AID-HYP765>3.0.CO;2-W
- Song, S. H., Choi, K. J., Kim, J. S., 2012, Correlation between groundwater level fluctuation and climate change with spring drought in 2012, Proceeding of workshop for 6th Jeju water resources management advancement, 47-68.
- Song, S. H., Choi, K. J., Kim, J. S. 2013a, Evaluation of regional characteristics using time-series data of groundwater level in Jeju Island, Journal of Environmental Science International, 22(5), 609-624. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2013.22.5.609
- Song, S. H., Zemansky, G., 2012, Vulnerability of groundwater systems with sea level rise in coastal aquifers, South Korea, Environmental Earth Sciences, 65(6), 1865-1876. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-011-1169-7
- Song, S. H., Zemansky, G., 2013, Groundwater level fluctuation in the Waimea Plains, New Zealand: changes in a coastal aquifer within the last 30 years, Environmental Earth Sciences, 70(5), 2167-2178. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-013-2359-2
- Todd, D. K., 1980, Groundwater hydrology, second edition. John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Yoo, S. H., 2009, Analyzing agricultural drought affected by climate change. Ph.D. thesis, Seoul National University, Korea.
- Groundwater Modeling for Estimating Water Balance over Pyosun Watershed in Jeju Island vol.24, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2015.24.4.495
- Analysis of Water Level Fluctuations according to Groundwater Development and Pumping Duration vol.25, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2016.25.1.135
Supported by : 국토해양부