- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Hydraulic Characteristics and Prediction of Groundwater Level in the Eastern Coastal Aquifer of Jeju Island
제주도 동부 해안대수층의 수리특성 산정과 지하수위 예측
Jo, Si-Beom;Jeon, Byung-Chil;Park, Eun-Gyu;Choi, Kwang-Jun;Song, Sung-Ho;Kim, Gi-Pyo
- Received : 2014.01.21
- Accepted : 2014.04.09
- Published : 2014.04.30
Due to tidal force, it is very difficult to estimate the hydraulic parameters of high permeable aquifer near coastal area in Jeju Island. Therefore, to eliminate the impact of tidal force from groundwater level and estimate the hydraulic properties, tidal response technique has been mainly studied. In this study we have extracted 38 tidal constituents from groundwater level and harmonic constants including frequency, amplitude, and phase of each constituent using T_TIDE subroutine which is used to estimate oceanic tidal constituents, and then we have estimated hydraulic diffusivity associated with amplitude attenuation factor(that is the ratio of groundwater level amplitude to sea level amplitude for each tidal constituent) and phase lag(that is phase difference between groundwater level and sea level for each constituent). Also using harmonic constants for each constituent, we made the sinusoidal wave and then we constructed the synthesized wave which linearly combined sinusoidal wave. Finally, we could get residuals(net groundwater level) which was excluded most of tidal influences by eliminating synthesized wave from raw groundwater level. As a result of comparing statistics for synthesized level and net groundwater level, we found that the statistics for net groundwater level was more insignificant than those of synthesized wave. Moreover, in case of coastal aquifer which the impact of tidal force is even more than those of other environmental factors such as rainfall and groundwater yield, it is possible to predict groundwater level using synthesized wave and regression analysis of residuals.
Coastal aquifer;Harmonic constants;Tidal constituents;Hydraulic diffusivity;T_TIDE
- Ferris, J. G., 1951, Cyclic fluctuatons of water level as a basis for determining aquifer transmissibility, Int. Assoc. Sci. Hydrol., 33, 148-155.
- Choi, B. S, 1999, Determination of aquifer characteristics from specific capacity data of wells in Cheju Island, J. Groundwater Env., 6(4), 180-187.
- Erskine, A. D., 1991, The effect of tidal fluctuation on a coastal aquifer in the U.K, Ground Water, 29(4), 556-562. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6584.1991.tb00547.x
- Hamm, S. Y., Cheong, J. Y., Jang, S., Jung, C. Y., Kim, B. S., 2005, Relationship between transmissivity and specific capacity in the volcanic aquifers of Jeju Island, Korea, J. Hydrol., 310, 111-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2004.12.006
- Hsieh, P. A., Bredehoeft, J. D., Farr, J. M., 1987, Determination of aquifer transmissivity from Earth Tide analysis, Water Res. Res., 23(10), 1824-1832. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR023i010p01824
- Jacob, C. E., 1950, Flow of groundwater, In Engineering Hydraulics, ed. H. Rouse. Hoboken, New Jersey, John Wiley, 321-386.
- Jha, M. K., Kamii, Y., Chikamori, K., 2003, On the estimation of phreatic aquifer parameters by the tidal response technique, Water Res. Manage., 17, 69-88. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023018107685
- Jiao, J. J., Tang, Z., 1999, An analytical solution of groundwater response to tidal fluctuation in a leaky confined layer, Water Res. Res., 35(3), 747-751. https://doi.org/10.1029/1998WR900075
- Kim, K. Y., Shim, B. O., Park, K. H., Kim, T. H., Seong, H. J., Park, Y. S., Koh, G. W., Woo, N. C., 2005, Analysis of hydraulic gradient at coastal aquifers in eastern part of Jeju Island, Econ. Env., 38(1), 79-89.
- Lee, B. J., Koo, M. H., Park, Y. S., Koh, G. W., Park, K. H., 2006, Hydraulic diffusivity and possibility of conduit-flow of groundwater in eastern part of Jeju island, J. Geol. Soc. Korea, 42(3), 439-454.
- Millham, N. P., Howes, B. L. 1995, A comparison of methods to determine K in a shallow coastal aquifer, Ground Water, 33, 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6584.1995.tb00262.x
- Pawlowicz, R., Beardsley, B., Lentz, S., 2002, Classical tidal harmonic analysis including error estimates in MATLAB using T_Tide, Comp. Geos., 28, 927-937.
- Rotzoll K., 2007, Hydraulic parameter estimation using aquifer test, specific capacity, ocean tide and wave setup for Hawaii aquifers, Ph. D. Dissertation, Hawaii University, Hawaii, USA.
- Serfes, M. E., 1991, Determining the mean hydraulic gradient of ground water affected by tidal fluctuations, Ground water, 29(4), 549-555. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6584.1991.tb00546.x
- Shim, B. Y., Chung, S. Y., 2004, Hydrogeological parameter estimation by using tidal method in a fractured rockaquifer, J. Soil and Groundwater Env., 9(3), 27-32.
- Smith, S. W., 1997, The scientist and engineer's guide to digital signal processing, California technical publishing, San Diego, California, 98p.
- Townley, L. R., 1995, The response of aquifers to periodic forcing, Adv. Water Res., 18(3), 125-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1708(95)00008-7
- Werner, P. W., Noren, D., 1951, Progressive waves in non-artesian aquifer, Ame. Geophys. Union Trans., 32(2), 238-244. https://doi.org/10.1029/TR032i002p00238
- Xun, Z., Chuanxia, R., Yanyan, Y., Bin, F., Yecheng, O., 2006, Tidal effects of groundwater levels in the coastal aquifers near Beihai, China, Environ. Geol., 51, 517-525. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00254-006-0348-4
Supported by : 국토해양부