- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Serum Biochemical, Histopathology and SEM Analyses of the Effects of the Indian Traditional Herb Wattakaka Volubilis Leaf Extract on Wistar Male Rats
- Gopal, Velmani (Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy Research Laboratory, Division of Pharmacognosy, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University) ;
- Mandal, Vivekananda (Institute of Pharmacy, Guru Ghasidas Central University) ;
- Tangjang, Sumpam (Department of Botany, Rajiv Gandhi University) ;
- Mandal, Subhash C. (Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy Research Laboratory, Division of Pharmacognosy, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University)
- Received : 2013.07.18
- Accepted : 2013.12.03
- Published : 2014.03.31
Objectives: The present study investigated the protective effect of Wattakaka (W.) volubilis leaf extract against streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetes in rats. Methods: Male Wistar rats were divided into five groups (with six rats in each group) and were fed ad libitum. The rats were fasted for sixteen hours before diabetes was induced by injecting a single dose of 90 mg/kg body weight of STZ in 0.9-percent normal saline through an intraperitoneal route. The five groups were as follows: Group 1: normal control (saline-treated), Group 2: untreated diabetic rats, Groups 3 and 4: diabetic rats treated orally with petroleum ether cold maceration extract (PEME) of W. volubilis (50 and 100 mg/kg body weight), and Group 5: diabetic rats treated orally with metformin (250 mg/kg body weight). All rats received treatment for 21 days. For the STZ-induced diabetic rats, the blood-glucose,
- Eidi A, Eidi M. Antidiabetic effects of sage (Salvia officinalis L.) leaves in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Diabetes Met SynClin Res Rev. 2009;3(1):40-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsx.2008.10.007
- Andallu B,Varadacharyulu NC. Control of hyperglycemic and retardation of cataract by mulberry (Morusindica. L) leaves in streptozotocin diabetic rats. Ind J Exp Biol. 2002;40(7):791-5.
- Wild SG, Roglic G, Green A, Sicree R, King H. Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projection for 2030. Diabetes Care. 2004;27(5):1047-53. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.5.1047
- Kumar S, Malhotra R, Kumar D. Antidiabetic and free-radical scavenging potential of Euphorbia hirta flower extract. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2010;72(4):531-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0250-474X.73923
- Kumar S, Rashmi Kumar D. Evaluation of antidiabetic activity of Euphorbia hirta Linn. In streptozotocin induced diabetic mice. Indian J Nat Prod Resour. 2010;1(2):200-3.
- Panda N, Banerjee S, Mandal NB, Sahu NP. Pregnane Glycosides. Nat Prod Comm. 2006; 665-69.
- Pandit R, Phadke A, Jagtap A. Antidiabetic effect of Ficus religiosa extract in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010;128(2):462-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.01.025
- Tripathi AK, Bhoyar PK, Baheti JR, Biyani DM, Khalique M, Kothmire MS. Herbal antidiabetics: A review. Int J Res Pharm Sci. 2011;2(1):30-7.
- Ramachandran V, Mandal D, Payyavala U, Sangai PD, Muthureddy NS, Shanish A. Hypoglycemic, antioxidant and hypolipidemic activity of Asparagus racemosuson streptozotocin induced diabetes in rats. AdvApplSci Res. 2011;2(3):179-85.
- Ayyanar M, SankaraSivaraman K, Ignacimuthu S. Traditional herbal medicines used for the treatment of diabetes among two major tribal groups in South Tamil, Nadu, India. Ethnobotanical Leaflets. 2008;12:276-80.
- Kumarappan CT, Thilagam E, Vijayakumar M, Mandal SC. Modulatory effect of polyphenolic extracts of Ichnocarpus frutescens on oxidative stress in rats with experimentally induced diabetes. Indian J Med Res. 2012;136(5):815-21.
- Trinder P. Determination of blood glucose using an oxidase-peroxidase system with a non-carginogenic chemogen. J Clin Pathol. 1969;22(2):158-61. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.22.2.158
- Tarling CA, Woods K, Zhang R, Brastianos HC, Brayer GD, Andersen RJ. The search for novel human pancreatic alpha-amylase inhibitors: high-throughput screening of terrestrial and marine natural product extracts. Chem Bio Chem. 2008;9(3):433-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbic.200700470
- Vincent AM, Russell JW, Low P, Feldman EL. Oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of diabetic neuropathy. Endocr Rev. 2004;25(4):612-28. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2003-0019
- Mauer SM, Steffes MW, Brown DM. The kidney in diabetes. Am J Med. 1981;70 (3):603-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(81)90582-9
- Almdal JP, Vilstrup H. Strict insulin therapy normalizes organ nitrogen contents and capacity of urea nitrogen synthesis in experimental diabetes in rats. Diabetolgia. 1988;31(2):114-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00395558
- Agbaje EO, Adeneye AA, Daramola AO. Biochemical and toxicological studies of aqueous extract of syzigium aromaticum (L.) merr. & perry (myrtaceae) in rodent. Aft J Tradit Complement Alter Med. 2009;6(3):241-54.
- Davern TJ, Scharschmidt BF. Biochemical liver tests. In: Feldman M, Friedman LS, Sleisenger MH. Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and liver disease: pathophysiology, diagnosis, management. 7th ed. Philadelphia: W B Saunders Co.;2002. 1227-8 p.