- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Single Intramuscular-dose Toxicity of Water soluble Carthmi-Flos herbal acupuncture (WCF) in Sprague-Dawley Rats
- Lee, Hyung-Geol (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Woosuk University Hospital of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Kim, Sungchul (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Oriental Medical Hospital) ;
- Jung, Da-Jung (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Woosuk University Hospital of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Choi, Yoo-Min (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Woosuk University Hospital of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Sin, Min-Seop (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Woosuk University Hospital of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Choi, Seok-Woo (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Woosuk University Hospital of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Song, Beom-Yong (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Woosuk University Hospital of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Kim, Jong-Uk (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Woosuk University Hospital of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Hong, Seung-Won (MyungGa Oriental Medical Clinic) ;
- Yook, Tae-Han (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Woosuk University Hospital of Oriental Medicine)
- Received : 2013.08.29
- Accepted : 2013.11.08
- Published : 2014.03.31
Objectives: This experiment was conducted to examine the toxicity of Water soluble Carthmi-Flos herbal acupuncture (WCF) by administering a single intramuscular dose of WCF in 6-week-old, male and female Sprague-Dawley rats and to find the lethality dose for WCF. Methods: The experiment was conducted at Biotoxtech according to Good Laboratory Practices under a request by the Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. This experiment was performed based on the testing standards of "Toxicity Test Standards for Drugs" by the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Subjects were divided into 4 groups: 1 control group in which normal saline was administered and 3 test groups in which 0.1, 0.5 or 1.0 mL of WCF was administered; a single intramuscular dose was injected into 5 males and 5 females in each group. General symptoms and body weights were observed/measured for 14 days after injection. At the end of the observation period, hematological and clinical chemistry tests were performed, followed by necropsy and histopathological examinations of the injected sections. Results: No mortalities were observed in any group. Also, symptoms, body weight, hematology, clinical chemistry and necropsy were not affected. However, histopathological examination of the injected part in one female in the 1.0-mL group showed infiltration of mononuclear cells and a multi-nucleated giant cell around eosinophilic material. Conclusion: Administration of single intramuscular doses of WCF in 3 groups of rats showed that the approximate lethal dose of WCF for all rats was in excess of 1.0 mL, as no mortalities were observed for injections up to and including 1.0 mL.
Supported by : Woosuk University
- Yoon MY, Cho NG, Hur TY, Cho EH, Lee OJ, Kim KS. [Clinical study on effect of Carthmi - Flos herbal acupuncture therapy on osteoarthritis in knee joint]. The Acupuncture. 2002;19(2):189-200. Korean.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. [Pharmacopuncturology]. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2008. Chapter 3, Chapter Types of Pharmacopuncture; p. 21-3. Korean.
- Yook TH, Song BY, Sin MS, Kim BH, Park JJ, Yun JH. [Effects on the local thermal change following herbal acupuncture on D.I.T.I.]. The Acupuncture. 2000;17(3):57-68. Korean.
- Kang KS, Lee JS, Kwon GR. [Clinical studies on the cases of side effect of CF herbal acupuncture treatment]. Pharmacopuncture. 2001;4(2):65-71. Korean.
- Lee HT, Lee HI. [Effect of Cathami Flos aqua-acupuncture on arthritis induced by injecting Freund's complete adjuvant]. The Journal of East-West Medicine. 1998;23(3):6-20.Korean.
- Kim KW, Lee MK, Lim SC, Jung TY, Han SW, Seo JC. [A case of alopecia areata treated with bee venom and Carthami Flos herbal acupuncture]. Pharmacopuncture. 2004;7(2):91-6. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2004.7.2.091
- Cho TS, Son IS, Kwon HY, Youn HM, Jang KJ, Song CH, et al. [The effect of CF herbal acupuncture by oswestry disability index]. Pharmacopuncture. 2002;4(3):15-20. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2001.4.3.015
- Oh CS, Lee H, Yim YK, Seong NK. [Influence on the anti-cancer and immune response improvement of herbal-acupuncture with Carthami Flos infusion solution into Chung-wan (CV12)]. The Acupuncture. 2004;21(5):205-18. Korean.
- Kim YT, Han SW. [The effects of aqua-acupuncture with Hirudo nipponica Whitman and Carthamus tinctorius L. on the intravascular coagulation induced by endotoxin in rats]. The Acupuncture. 1997;14(1):464-77. Korean.
- Kim KS, Yang SI. [A clinical study of two patient with oligomenorrhea treated Carthami Flos of aqua-acupuncture]. Pharmacopuncture. 2005;8(3):107-13. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2005.8.3.107
- Lim SBN, Kang DC. [The study of irritation and toxicity of Carthami oil aquapuncture solution applied topically to the skin and the eye mucous membrane]. Pharmacopuncture. 2000;3(1):53-63. Korean https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2000.3.1.053
- An CS, Kwon KR, Lee SG. [The study on acute and subacute toxicity and sarcoma-180 anti-cancer effects of carthami tinctor-fructus herbal-acupuncture (CF)]. Pharmacopuncture. 2002;5(1):7-26. Korean https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2002.5.1.007
- Choi SW, Park PB, Oh SJ. [A case report of carpal tunnel syndrome with raynaud's phenomenon treated by bee venom and Carthami Flos pharmacopuncture]. Pharmacopuncture. 2009;12(1):103-8. Korean
- Kim SW, Jeong HW, Wei TS, Cho MR, Yun YC. [Experimental effects of aqua-acupuncture of Carthami Flos on the regional cerebral blood flow and mean arterial blood pressure in rats]. The Acupuncture. 2004;21(2):167-82. Korean
- Woo DS, Lee KM, Lee BH, Lim SC, Jung TY, Seo JC. [The scavenging effect on nitric oxide in Carthami Flos herbal-acupunture solution]. Pharmacopuncture. 2007;10(2):25-30. Korean https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2007.10.2.025
- Lee JY, Kang HM, Lim CS, Kwon KR. [Report on the side-effects of pharmacopuncture lubricants (CF, JsD)]. Pharmacopuncture. 2007;10(3):137-142. Korean https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2007.10.3.137
- Kim BW, Kwon KR. [The side effect of lubricants pharmacopuncture in rat tissues]. 2010;13(1):87-92. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2010.13.1.087
- Single Intravenous-dose Toxicity of Water-soluble Carthami-flos Pharmacopuncture (WCF) in Rats vol.17, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2014.17.024