- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Single Dose Toxicity of Chukyu (spine-healing) Pharmacopuncture Injection in the Muscle of Rats
- Jeong, Hohyun (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Cho, Seung-Hun (Department of Neuropsychiatry, Hospital of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University Medical center) ;
- Lee, Eun-Yong (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Semyung University Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Lee, Seung-Deok (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Dongguk University College of Korean Medicine) ;
- Ahn, Seong-Hun (Department of Meridian & Acupoint, Wonkwang University College of Korean Medicine) ;
- Kim, Sungchul (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital)
- Received : 2013.05.29
- Accepted : 2014.01.13
- Published : 2014.03.31
Objectives: This study was performed to analyze the single dose toxicity of Chukyu (spine-healing) pharmacopuncture. Methods: All experiments were conducted at the Biotoxtech, an institution authorized to perform non-clinical studies under the regulations of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) regulations. Sprague-Dawley rats were chosen for the pilot study. Doses of Chukyu (spine-healing) pharmacopuncture, 0.1, 0.5 and 1.0 mL, were administered to the experimental groups, and a dose of normal saline solution, 1.0 mL, was administered to the control group. This study was conducted under the approval of the Institutional Animal Ethic Committee. Results: No deaths or abnormalities occurred in any of the four groups. No significant changes in weight, hematological parameters or clinical chemistry between the control group and the experimental groups were observed. To check for abnormalities in organs and tissues, we used microscopy to examine representative histological sections of each specified organ; the results showed no significant differences in any of the organs or tissues except in one case, where interstitial infiltrating macrophages were found in one female rat in the 0.5-mL/animal experimental group. Conclusion: The above findings suggest that treatment with Chukyu (spine-healing) pharmacopuncture is relatively safe. Further studies on this subject are needed to yield more concrete evidence.
Supported by : Wonkwang university
- Korean pharmacopuncture institute. [Pharmacopuncture therapy guidelines]. Hansung printing. 1999:143. Korean.
- Joo HJ. [Researches on Pharmacopuncture]. Korea Institute of Oriental medicine. 1995;5:193-210. Korean.
- Yook TH. [Clinical observation about the extent of improvement of low back pain patient through medi-acupuncture therapy]. J Korean Oriental Med. 1995;16(1):184-97. Korean.
- Lee YH, Kim JH, Jeong JY, Lee KA, Kim CH, Jang KJ, et al. Clinical review of the effects of Chukyu (spine-healing) pharmacopuncture in the treatment of lumbago and skelalgia patients. Pharmacopuncture. 2012;15(3):39-44. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2012.15.006
- Park JH, Seo BI. [A philological study on poisoning of Angelicae Pubescentis Radix]. The Journal of Jehan Oriental Medical Academy. 2011;36(2):1-9. Korean.
- Koo JS, Lee SN, Seo BI. [A phiogical study on poisoning of herbal medicines used to activate blood flow and remove blood stasis]. Kor J Herbology. 2010;25(2):21-39. Korean.
- Rho SS, Seo BI. [A philological study on poisoning and side effects of Angelicae Sinensis Radix]. The Journal of Jehan Oriental Medical Academy. 2012;10(1):119-25. Korean.
- Choi MS, Kim CH, Kho HK. [Studies on the safety assessment of Astragali Radix Extract solution for herb-acupuncture]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 1995;12(1):179-87. Korean.
- Byun BH, Seo BI. [Safety study on general cell cytotoxicity effects of Cervi Pantotrichum Cornu herbal-acupuncture solution (CPCHA)]. Kor J Herbology. 2003;18(3):51-6. Korean.
- Lim SI, Kim SN, So KS, Choi HK, Lim JA, Lee SK, et al. [The study on safety of Scolopendrid Aqua-acupuncture]. Pharmacopuncture. 2004;7(1):37-51. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2004.7.1.037
- Kim JG, Kim KS. [Inhibitory effects of Cervi Pantotrichum Cornu herbal acupuncture on type 2 collagen-induced arthritis]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2002;19(6):155-70. Korean.
- Kim YJ, Park DS, Kang SK. [Studies on the analgesic effect of aqua-acupuncture with Cervus elaphus extract solution in mice]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society]. 1987;4(1):63-74. Korean.
- Jeong KY, Kim KS, Yun JH. [The effect of BUM aquaacupuncture on immune responses to LPS Induced arthritis in mice. The The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2001;18(1):113-28. Korean.
- Choi BG, Cho MR, Kim JH, Ryu CR. [Effects of Astragali Radix herbal-acupuncture at ST36 (Jok-samni) on collagen-induced arthritis in mice]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2008;25(1):25-55. Korean.
- Ryu MS, Yun YC, Kim JH. [The effect of Angelica gigas Nakai pharmacopuncture at ST36 and BL23 on Freund's adjuvant arthritis in rats]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2010;27(5):25-34. Korean.
- Hwang YJ, Yim YK, Lee H. [Effect of herbal-acupuncture with Cnidii Rhizoma solution at the Joksamni (ST36) of mice with collagen-induced arthritis]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2007;24(4):81-97. Korean.
- Yang GY, Kim YI, Lee H. [A study on the effect of herbal-acupuncture with Angelicae Pubescentis Radix solution at Joksamni (ST36) on collagen-induced arthritis]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2006;23(3):191-206. Korean.
- Park SY, Lee KY, Choe HG, So GS, Lee JD, Kim SC, et al. [Clinical study on trealment of HIVD of lumbar spine using Scolopendrid herbal acupuncture]. Pharmacopuncture. 2001;4(3):47-57. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2001.4.3.047
- Lee HY, Cho YH, You JS, Yook TH, Hong KE. [A clinical observation on the case of Cauda Equina syndrome using Scolopendrid pharmacopuncture]. Pharmacopuncture. 2008;11(2):117-24. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2008.11.2.117
- Won JK, Lee YK, Han SW, Seo JC. [Two cases on anti-inflammatory effect of Scolopendrid herbal-acupuncture]. Pharmacopuncture. 2004;7(3):109-14. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2004.7.3.109
- Kim YK. [The principle and test method. Toxicology]. Seoul: Donghwagisul; 1994. 15-8p. Korean.
- Kim YG. [Toxicology]. Seoul: Donghwagisul; 1984. 15-8p. Korean.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. [Korea Food & Drug Administration notification]. 2005; 60p. Korean.
- Single-dose Intravenous Toxicology Testing of Daebohwalryeok Pharmcopuncture in Sprague-Dawley Rats vol.18, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2015.18.014