- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Relative Apoptosis-inducing Potential of Homeopathic Condurango 6C and 30C in H460 Lung Cancer Cells In vitro -Apoptosis-induction by homeopathic Condurango in H460 cells-
- Sikdar, Sourav (Cytogenetics and Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Kalyani) ;
- Saha, Santu Kumar (Cytogenetics and Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Kalyani) ;
- Khuda-Bukhsh, Anisur Rahman (Cytogenetics and Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Kalyani)
- Received : 2013.11.07
- Accepted : 2014.01.08
- Published : 2014.03.31
Objectives: In homeopathy, it is claimed that more homeopathically-diluted potencies render more protective/curative effects against any disease condition. Potentized forms of Condurango are used successfully to treat digestive problems, as well as esophageal and stomach cancers. However, the comparative efficacies of Condurango 6C and 30C, one diluted below and one above Avogadro's limit (lacking original drug molecule), respectively, have not been critically analyzed for their cell-killing (apoptosis) efficacy against lung cancer cells in vitro, and signalling cascades have not been studied. Hence, the present study was undertaken. Methods: 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) assays were conducted on H460-non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) cells by using a succussed ethyl alcohol vehicle (placebo) as a control. Studies on cellular morphology, cell cycle regulation, generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), changes in mitochondrial membrane potential (MMP), and DNA-damage were made, and expressions of related signaling markers were studied. The observations were done in a "blinded" manner. Results: Both Condurango 6C and 30C induced apoptosis via cell cycle arrest at subG0/G1 and altered expressions of certain apoptotic markers significantly in H460 cells. The drugs induced oxidative stress through ROS elevation and MMP depolarization at 18-24 hours. These events presumably activated a caspase-3-mediated signalling cascade, as evidenced by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), western blot and immunofluorescence studies at a late phase (48 hours) in which cells were pushed towards apoptosis. Conclusion: Condurango 30C had greater apoptotic effect than Condurango 6C as claimed in the homeopathic doctrine.
- Boericke W. New manual of homoeopathic materia medica & repertory (with relationship of remedies). 3rd ed. B Jain Pub Pvt Ltd; 2007. 1196 p.
- Jonas WB. The homeopathy debate. J Altern Complement Med. 2000;6(3):213-5. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2000.6.213
- Geddes N, Lockie A. The complete guide to homeopathy: the principles & practice of treatment.2nd ed. DK ADULT; 2000. 240p.
- Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Towards understanding molecular mechanisms of action of homeopathic drugs: an overview. Mol Cell Biochem. 2003;253(1-2):339-45. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026048907739
- Chikramane PS, Suresh AK, Bellare JR, Kane SG. Extreme homeopathic dilutions retain starting materials: a nanoparticulate perspective. Homeopathy. 2010;99(4):231-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.homp.2010.05.006
- Bell IR, Koithan M. A model for homeopathic remedy effects: low dose nanoparticles, allostatic cross-adaptation, and time-dependent sensitization in a complex adaptive system. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012;12:191. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-12-191
- Ji BC, Hsu WH, Yang JS, Hsia TC, Lu CC, Chiang JH, et al. Gallic acid induces apoptosis via caspase-3 and mitochondrion-dependent pathways in vitro and suppresses lung xenograft tumor growth in vivo. J Agric Food Chem. 2009;57(16):7596-604. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf901308p
- Dreij K, Rhrissorrakrai K, Gunsalus KC, Geacintov NE, Scicchitano DA. Benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide stimulates an inflammatory response in normal human lung fibroblasts through a p53 and JNK mediated pathway. Carcinogenesis. 2010;31(6):1149-57. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgq073
- Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods. 1983;65(1-2):55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Morales J, Alpaugh ML. Gain in cellular organization of inflammatory breast cancer: A 3D in vitro model that mimics the in vivo metastasis. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:462. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-462
- Sikdar S, Mukherjee A, Boujedaini N, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Ethanolic extract of Condurango (Marsdenia condurango) used in traditional systems of medicine including homeopathy against cancer can induce DNA damage and apoptosis in non small lung cancer cells, A549 and H522, in vitro. TANG. 2013;3(1):43-52.
- Ling YH, Liebes L, Zou Y, Perez-Soler R. Reactive oxygen species generation and mitochondrial dysfunction in the apoptotic response to bortezomib, a novel proteasome inhibitor, in human H460 non-small cell lung cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278(36): 33714-23. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M302559200
- Denning MF, Wang Y, Tibudan S, Alkan S, Nickoloff BJ, Qin JZ. Caspase activation and disruption of mitochondrial membrane potential during UV radiation-induced apoptosis of human keratinocytes requires activation of protein kinase C. Cell Death Differ. 2002;9(1):40-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.cdd.4400929
- Chen Y, McMillan-Ward E, Kong J, Israels SJ, Gibson SB. Mitochondrial electron-transport-chain inhibitors of complexes I and II induce autophagic cell death mediated by reactive oxygen species. J Cell Sci. 2007; 120(Pt 23):4155-66. https://doi.org/10.1242/jcs.011163
- Darzynkiewicz Z, Galkowski D, Zhao H. Analysis of apoptosis by cytometry using TUNEL assay. Methods. 2008;44(3):250-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymeth.2007.11.008
- Gao N, Flynn DC, Zhang Z, Zhong XS, Walker V, Liu KJ, et al. G1 cell cycle progression and the expression of G1 cyclins are regulated by PI3K/AKT/mTOR/p70S6K1 signaling in human ovarian cancer cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;287(2):C281-91.
- Sikdar S, Mukherjee A, Bishayee K, Paul A , Saha SK, Ghosh S, et al. Post-cancer treatment with Condurango 30C shows amelioration of benzo[a]pyrene-induced lung cancer of rats through caspase-3 mediated apoptosis induction. Pharmacopuncture, 2013;16(3):11-22. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2013.16.021
- Hsu HF, Huang KH, Lu KJ, Chiou SJ, Yen JH, Chang CC, et al. Typhonium blumei extract inhibits proliferation of human lung adenocarcinoma A549 cells via induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;135(2):492-500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.03.048
- Banerji P, Campbell DR, Banerji P. Cancer patients treated with the Banerji protocols utilising homoeopathic medicine: A best case series program of the National Cancer Institute USA. Oncol Rep. 2008;20(1):69-74.
- Wang Y, Yang H, Liu H, Huang J, Song X. Effect of staurosporine on the mobility and invasiveness of lung adenocarcinoma A549 cells: an in vitro study. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:174. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-174
- Jonas WB , Gaddipati JP, Rajeshkumar NV, Sharma A, Thangapazham RL, Warren J, et al. Can homeopathic treatment slow prostate cancer growth? Integr Cancer Ther. 2006;5(4):343-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735406294225
- Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Laboratory research in homeopathy: pro. Integr Cancer Ther. 2006;5(4):320-32. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735406294794
- Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Potentized homeopathic drugs act through regulation of gene expression: a hypothesis to explain their mechanism and pathways of action in vivo. Complement Ther Med. 1997;5(1):43-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-2299(97)80090-8
- Berger S, Junior P, Kopanski L. Structural revision of pregnane ester glycosides from Condurango cortex and new compounds. Phytochemistry. 1988;27(5):1451-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(88)80214-0
- Chikramane PS, Kalita D, Suresh AK, Kane SG, Bellare JR. Why extreme dilutions reach non-zero asymptotes: a nanoparticulate hypothesis based on froth flotation. Langmuir. 2012;28(45):15864-75. https://doi.org/10.1021/la303477s
- Bhattacharyya SS, Paul S, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Encapsulated plant extract (Gelsemium semipervirens) poly (lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles enhance cellular uptake and increases bioactivity in vitro. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2010;235(6):678-88. https://doi.org/10.1258/ebm.2010.009338
- Sulphur alters NFκB-p300 cross-talk in favour of p53–p300 to induce apoptosis in non-small cell lung carcinoma vol.47, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2015.3061
- Current trends in high dilution research with particular reference to gene regulatory hypothesis vol.57, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13237-014-0105-0
- An Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura Patient Treated With Homeopathy: A Case Report vol.1, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.20286/hpr-010271
- Unexpected effect of the vehicle (grain ethanol) of homeopathic FSH on thein vitrosurvival and development of isolated ovine preantral follicles vol.80, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jemt.22810
- Oncología integrativa: el aporte de la homeopatía vol.9, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.homeo.2016.07.006
- Ultra-highly diluted plant extracts of Hydrastis canadensis and Marsdenia condurango induce epigenetic modifications and alter gene expression profiles in HeLa cells in vitro vol.13, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/S2095-4964(15)60201-1
- Republished: Sulphur alters NFκB-p300 cross-talk in favour of p53-p300 to induce apoptosis in non-small cell lung carcinoma vol.9, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-7168.172876
- UTILIZAÇÃO DO CULTIVO IN VITRO DE FOLÍCULOS PRÉ-ANTRAIS SUÍNOS INCLUSOS EM TECIDO OVARIANO (IN SITU) COMO MODELO DE AVALIAÇÃO DA EFICIÊNCIA DE MEDICAMENTOS HOMEOPÁTICOS NA FOLICULOGÊNESE INICIAL vol.19, pp.0, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1809-6891v19e-48658