- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Factors Associated with the Safety Depth of GV15 Yamen -Factors Associated with the Safety Depth of GV15-
- Park, Soo-Jung (Department of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, Wonkwang University Jeonju Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Jin, Ming (Department of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, Wonkwang University College of Korean Medicine) ;
- Joo, Jong-Cheon (Department of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, Wonkwang University Jeonju Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Kwon, Young-Mi (Department of Radiology, Wonkwang University College of Korean Medicine)
- Received : 2013.12.19
- Accepted : 2014.01.29
- Published : 2014.03.31
Objectives: Yamen is the fifteenth acupoint of the Governor Vessel Meridian (GV15). It is anatomically close to the medulla oblongata, so finding the safety depth of the acupoint is very important. However, few studies on the safety depth of GV15 have been done. Methods: This study tried to measure the safety depth of GV15 by using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans and to analyze the factors affecting the safety depth through multiple regression analyses. This study was carried out for patients who had a brain MRI scan while visiting Jeonju Wonkwang Hospital, Korea. The shortest distance between the glabella and the occipital protuberance (DGO), the horizontal distance between the glabella and the back of the head (DGB) and the dangerous depth (DD) were measured from the sagittal views of the MRI images. The DD is the horizontal distance from the skin's surface at GV15 to the spinal dura mater. Results: The model suggested that the safety depth (SD) was significantly associated with gender (
Supported by : Wonkwang University
- Rampes H, James R. Complications of acupuncture. Acupunct Med. 1995;13(1):26-33. https://doi.org/10.1136/aim.13.1.26
- Furnham A. Why do people choose and use complementary therapies? In Ernst E, ed. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann; 1996. Complementary Medicine: an Objective Appraisal; p. 71-88.
- White A. The safety of acupuncture - evidence from the UK. Acupunct Med. 2006;Suppl 53:24:53-7. https://doi.org/10.1136/aim.24.Suppl.53
- White A. A cumulative review of the range and incidence of significant adverse events associated with acupuncture. Acupunct Med. 2004;22(3):122-33. https://doi.org/10.1136/aim.22.3.122
- Kim HS. [Efficacy of drug acupuncture of Cervi Pantotrichum Cornu for headache]. J Korean Oriental Med. 1977;14(1):279-89. Korean.
- Chou PC, Chu HY, Lin JG. Safe needling depth of acupuncture points. J Altern Complement Med. 2011;17(3):199-206. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2010.0192
- Hua B. [Study on acupuncture security of Fengfu]. [master's thesis]. [Harbin]: Heilongjiang University of Chinese medicine. 2009:26-8. Chinese.
- Yin CS, Park HJ, Nam HJ. Acupuncture for refractory cases of sudden sensorineural hearing loss. J Altern Complement Med. 2010;16(9):973-8. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2009.0542
- Cho MR, Ahn YS, Park CH, , Yoon YC. [Extrimental effects of acupuncture on the regional cerebral blood flow and mean arterial blood pressure in rats]. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2001;18(5):147-54. Korean.
- Yan ZG, Zhang JH, Gu HC. [The study on the safe needling depth in the dangerous acupoints of head and neck]. Shanghai Journal of Acupuncture & Moxibustion. 1996;3:37-8. Chinese.
- Lin ZG. [Depth of getting qi on chest acupoints]. Chinese J Integrated Traditional and Medicine. 1991;11(10):628-30. Chinese.
- Lin ZG, Wang QF. [Study on Depth of Getting Qi in Clinical Practice]. Chinese J Integrated Traditional and Medicine. 1994;14(2):94-5. Chinese.
- Lin JG. Studies of needling depth in acupuncture treatment. Chin Med J. 1997;110(2):154-6.
- Whittle AT, Marshall I, Mortimore IL, Wraidth PK, Sellar RJ, Douglas NJ. Neck soft tissue and fat distribution: comparison between normal men and women by magnetic resonance imaging. Thorax. 1999;54(4):323-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.54.4.323
- Chen HN, Lin JG, Huang CT, Lin CH. The therapeutic depth of abdominal acupuncture points approaches the safe depth in overweight and in older children. J Altern Complement Med. 2009;15(9):1033-7. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2008.0582