- Volume 5 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of The Home Physical Therapy on Recovery of Muscle Strength and Gait for Discharged Patients Who Underwent Total Knee Replacement
Jang, Yong Su;Kim, Moo Ki;Kim, Ji Sung;Koo, Ja Pung;Park, Si Eun;Choi, Wan Suk;Kim, Bo Kyoung;Kim, Yong Youn;Kim, Soon Hee
- 투고 : 2014.05.06
- 심사 : 2014.09.20
- 발행 : 2014.10.31
This study aims to identify the effect of home physical therapy on patients who left the hospital after total knee arthroplasty, compared to the Daily living group, when it was applied to them, under the guidance of physical therapists. As research subjects, 20 patients that were scheduled to leave the hospital after unilateral total knee arthroplasty, were chosen, and they were randomly divided into a home physical therapy group(10 patients) and an Daily living group(10 patients) in order to conduct an experiment. During the 4-week research, home physical therapy was offered for 40 mins once for 5 days a week, and muscular strength, gait components were measured. For muscular strength, quadriceps muscle strength, hamstring muscle strength were measured, and as gait components, endurance, speed, step time, single-limb support were analysed. For this experiment, pre- and post-measurement were performed, and collected data were analyzed using SPSS ver. 18.0 statistical program. From the analysis of data, the following study results were obtained. Home physical therapy group and Daily living group both showed significant improvements in quadriceps muscle strength, hamstring muscle strength, and quadriceps muscle strength, hamstring muscle strength of home physical therapy group more significantly improved than Daily living group's. In relation to gait components, gait endurance, gait speed, step time significantly improved in both of home physical therapy group and Daily living group, whereas home physical therapy group only showed significant improvements in single-limp support. According to the comparison between two groups, gait speed, single-limp support and step time improved more significantly in the home physical therapy group than in the Daily living group. In conclusion, positive results were revealed in both home physical therapy group and Daily living group, with regard to muscular recovery of lower limbs of patients discharged from the hospital after total knee arthroplasty and walking, but considering the comparison results between two groups, it seems that applying home physical therapy is more effective than maintaining a daily life.
Total Knee Replacement(TKR);home physical therapy;gait
- Cao ZB, Maeda A, Shima N, Kurata H, Nishizono H. The effect of a 12-week combined exercise intervention program on physical perforance and gait kinematics in community-dwelling elderly women. J Physiol anthropol 2007; 26(3): 325-332. https://doi.org/10.2114/jpa2.26.325
- Buchner DM, Cress ME, de Later BJ, Esselman PC, Margherita A J, Price R. The effect of strength and endurance training on gait balance, fall risk, and health services use in communityliving older adults. journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 1997; 52(4): 218-224.
- Bohannon RW, Leary KM. Standing balance and function over the course of acute rehabilitation. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 1995; 76(11): 994-996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(95)81035-8
- Oliveria SA, Felson D.T, Reed JI, Ciril PA, Walker AM. Incidence of symptomatic hand, hip, and knee osteoarthritis among patients in a health maintenance organization. Arthritis Rheum 1995; 38(8): 1134-1141. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780380817
- Korea National Statistical Office 2010.
- Cho HJ, Chang CB, Jung JW, Seong SC, Kim TK. Prevalence of Radiographic Knee Osteoarthritis in Elderly Koreans. J Korean Knee Soc 2009; 21(4): 223-231.
- Hwang BG, Kim BJ, Bae SS. Study on the Gait Characteristics in Knee Osteoarthritis Patients with GAITRite System Analysis. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy 2004; 16(1): 113-124.
- Kim MH. A comparatice study of TKR Patient's performance of Activities of Daily Living and Quality of Life. The Gradute School of Education Kyung Hee University. Masters Thesis 2004.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service 2011.
- Mizner RL, Peterson SC, Stevens J.E., Vandenborne K, Snyder-Mackler L .Early quadriceps strength loss after total knee arthroplasty. The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery 2005; 87(5).
- Cho WH, Ahn HS, Kim MY, Seol ES, Lee SW, Choi JW. Pain after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal Of The Korea Orthopaedic Association 2006; 41(1): 129-133. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2006.41.1.129
- Stevens-Lapsley JE, Balter JE, Kohrt WM, Eckhof EG. Quadriceps and hamstrings muscle dysfunction after total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010; 468(9): 2460-2468. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-009-1219-6
- Yoo MC. Latest Tendency Of Osteoarthritis Treatment. Journal of muscle and joint health 1995; 2(2): 227-229.
- Sharma L, Dunlop DD, Cahue S, Song J, Hayes KW. Quadriceps strength and osteoarthritis progression in malaligned and lax knees. Ann Intern Med 2003; 138(8): 613-619. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-138-8-200304150-00006
- Phillip-Page TS, Ellenbecker. The Scientific and Clinical Application of Elastic Resistance. Human Kinetics Publishers 2004.
- Bae SS, Nam KW, Lee KH. Isokinetic Effect of the Extensors and Flexors in Total Knee Replacement Patients. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy 2001; 13(1): 19-31.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service 2012.
- Choi YS, Baek SJ, Lim ES, Lee HY, Jang HJ. 2009 Health Insurance Survey of patient medical fee. National Health Insurance Health Insurance Institute 2010.
- Park HJ. Progressive resistance exercise using elastic band of elderly diabetics blood sugar, blood lipids, effect on muscle strength and endurance. Korea University Masters thesis 2001.
- Kim HK. The Effect of Knee Muscle Power Strengthening using Thera Band on the Balance Control Ability in the Elderly. Dankook University Masters thesis 2003.
- Heo JJ. Effects of Muscle Strengthening Exercise Using Thera Band on Limb Function of hemiplegic Stroke Patients. The graduate school of administration Kyunghee University Masters thesis 2006.
- Yun MN. A Study on the Effects of Exercise Program for Total Knee Arthroplasty Patients. The graduate school of administration Kyunghee University Masters thesis 2008.
- Jeong GR, Kim SY, Park KD, Ju SB. Effects of improvement of muscle strength on exercise intensity of 1RM and RPE during muscular resistance training in the elderly women. Korean journal of physical eduaction 2010; 49(1): 535-541.
- Kim SH. Effects of Elastic-band Exercise on Physical Fitness for Activities of Daily Living, Muscle Mass and Pain in Elderly Women. Journal of coaching development 2012; 14(1): 67-77.
- Reese NB. Muscle and sensory testing 2nd ed. New York : Elsevier Inc 2005.
- Nelson AJ, Zwick D, Brody S. The validity of the gaitrite and the functional ambulation performance scoring system in the analysis of parkinson gait. Neuro Rehabil 2002; 12(1): 70-76.
- Bautmans I, Lambert M, Mets T. The six-minute walk test in community dwel ing elderly: influence of health status. BMC Geriatr 2004; 4: 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2318-4-6
- Han JH. Effectiveness of 8 weeks of application of aqua complexed exercise on lower limbs muscular strength, pain relief and balance after total knee arthroplasty. Korea University Masters thesis 2009.
- Kim JH. Effect of Quadriceps Setting Exercise after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Department of Physical Therapy Graduate School of Life Sciences Gatholic University of Pusan 2011.
- Liu MQ, Anderson FC, Schwartz MH, Delp SL. Muscle contributions to support and progression over a range of walking speeds. J Biomech 2008; 41(15): 3243-3252. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2008.07.031
- Benedetti MG, Catani F, Bilotta T W, Marcacci M, Mariani E, Giannini S. Muscle activation pattern and gait biomechanics after total knee replacement. Clin Biomech(Bristol, Avon) 2003; 18(9): 871-876. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(03)00146-3
- Lee YN. Biomechanical Effects of Kinesio Taping apply changes while walking TKA patients. Sam Yuk University Masters thesis 2011.
- Cromwell RL, Newton RA, Forrest G. Influence of vision on head stabilization strategies in older adults during walking. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2002; 57(7): 442-448. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/57.7.M442
- Skelton DA, Beyer N. Exercise and injury prevention in older people. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports 2003; 13(1): 77-85. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0838.2003.00300.x
- Judge JO, King MB, Whipple R, Clive J, Wolfson LI. Dynamic balance in older person: effects of reduced visual and proprioceptive input. J. of Gerontolohy 1993; 50(5): 363-370.
- Yu JH. The influences of gait time and balance index to balance training in total knee replacement patients. Nam Bu University Masters thesis 2007.
- Oh BS. The possibility of the elastic resistance exercise in knee joint rehabilitation of elders. Journal of coaching development 2006; 8(2): 3-12.
- Tomas VS, Hageman PA. Can neuromuscular strength and function in people with dementia be rehabilitated using resistance exercise training. J. Gerontol. A. Biol. Sci. Med. Sci 2003; 58(8): 746-751. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/58.8.M746