- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Towards Conservation of Omani Local Chicken: Phenotypic Characteristics, Management Practices and Performance Traits
- Al-Qamashoui, B. (Animal Husbandry in the Tropics and Subtropics, University of Kassel and Georg-August-Universitat Gottingen) ;
- Mahgoub, O. (Sultan Qaboos University, College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences, Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences) ;
- Kadim, I. (Sultan Qaboos University, College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences, Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences) ;
- Schlecht, E. (Animal Husbandry in the Tropics and Subtropics, University of Kassel and Georg-August-Universitat Gottingen)
- Received : 2013.09.02
- Accepted : 2013.12.17
- Published : 2014.06.01
Characterizing local chicken types and their mostly rural production systems is prerequisite for designing and implementing development and conservation programs. This study evaluated the management practices of small-scale chicken keepers and the phenotypic and production traits of their chickens in Oman, where conservation programs for local livestock breeds have currently started. Free-range scavenging was the dominant production system, and logistic regression analysis showed that socio-economic factors such as training in poultry keeping, household income, income from farming and gender of chicken owners influenced feeding, housing, and health care practices (p<0.05). A large variation in plumage and shank colors, comb types and other phenotypic traits within and between Omani chicken populations were observed. Male and female body weight differed (p<0.05), being
Animal Genetic Resources;Egg Production;Rural Smallholders;Scavenging System;Task Division
- Adebayo, O. and R. Adeola. 2005. Socio-economic factors affecting poultry farmers in Ejigbo local government area of Osun State. J. Hum. Ecol. 18:39-41.
- Al-Qamashoui, B., H. Simianer, I. Kadim, and S. Weigend. 2014a. Assessment of genetic diversity and conservation priority of Omani local chickens using microsatellite markers. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. (In press)
- Al-Qamashoui, B., A. Al-Ansari, H. Simianer, S. Weigend, O. Mahgoub, V. Costa, A. Weigend, N. Al-Araimi, and A. Beja-Pereira. 2014b. From India to Africa across Arabia: An mtDNA assessment of the origins and dispersal of chicken around the Indian Ocean Rim. BMC Genetics (Submitted in Feb. 2014).
- Abdelqader, A., C. B. Wollny, and M. Gauly. 2007. Characterization of local chicken production systems and their potential under different levels of management practices in Jordan. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 39:155-164. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-007-9000-x
- Aini, I. 1990. Indigenous chicken production in South-East Asia. World Poult. Sci. J. 46:51-57. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19900010
- Archer, K. J. and S. Lemeshow. 2006. Goodness-of-fit test for a logistic regression model fitted using survey sample data. Stata J. 6:97-105.
- Badubi, S. S., M. Rakereng, and M. Marumo. 2006. Morphological characteristics and feed resources available for indigenous chickens in Botswana. Livest. Res. Rural Dev. 18(3). http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd18/1/badu18003.htm. Accessed Mar. 2012.
- Daikwo, I., A. Okpe, and J. Ocheja. 2011. Phenotypic characterization of local chicken in Dekina. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 10:444-447. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2011.444.447
- Barua, A. and Y. Yoshimur. 1997. Rural poultry keeping in Bangladesh. World Poult. Sci. J. 53:387-394. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19970031
- Biagi, P. 2006. The shell-middens of the Arabian Sea and Persian Gulf: Maritime connections in the 7th Millennium BP. Adumatu 14:7-16.
- Boivin, N. and D.Q. Fuller. 2009. Shell middens, ships and seeds: Exploring coastal subsistence, maritime trade and the dispersal of domesticates in and around the ancient Arabian Peninsula. J. World Prehistory 22:113-180. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10963-009-9018-2
- Dessie, T. and B. Ogle. 2001. Village poultry production systems in the Central Highlands of Ethiopia. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 33:521-537. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012740832558
- Egahi, J., N. Dim, O. Momoh, and D. Gwaza. 2010. Variations in qualitative traits in the Nigerian local chicken. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 10: 978-979.
- Fisseha, M. 2009. Studies on Production and Marketing Systems of Local Chicken Ecotypes in Bure Woreda, North-west Amhara Regional State, Ethiopia. MSc thesis, Hawassa University, Ethiopia.
- Gondwe, T. 2004. Characterization of Local Chicken in Low Input-low Output Production Systems: Is There Scope for Appropriate Production and Breeding Strategies in Malawi? PhD thesis, Georg-August-Universitat Gottingen, Germany.
- Gueye, E. 2000. Women and family poultry production in Africa. Dev. Pract. 10: 98-102. https://doi.org/10.1080/09614520052565
- Hair, J. F., B. Black, B. Babin, R. E. Anderson, and R. L. Tatham. 2006. Multivariate Data Analysis, 6th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ USA, Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Hall, H. T. B. 1986. Diseases and Parasites of Livestock in the Tropics. 2nd ed. 328 p. Longman Group Ltd., Harlow, Essex, UK.
- Jens, R., P. Anders, V. Charlotte, M. Ainsh, and F. Lone. 2004. Keeping Village Poultry: A Technical Manual for Small-scale Poultry Production. Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Mapiye, C., M. Mwale, J. Mupangwa, M. Chimonyo, R. Foti, and M. Mutenje. 2008. A research review of village chicken production constraints and opportunities in Zimbabwe. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 21:1680-1688.
- Jugessur, V., M. Pillay, R. Ramnauth, and M. Allas. 2006. The socio-economic importance of family poultry production in the republic of Mauritius. In: Improving Farmyard Poultry Production in Africa: Interventions and Their Economic Assessment, pp. 164-178. Vienna, IAEA-TECDOC-1489.
- Kondombo, S., A. Nianogo, R. Kwakkel, H. Udo, and M. Slingerland. 2003. Comparative analysis of village chicken production in two farming systems in Burkina Faso. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 35:563-574. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1027336610764
- Mandleni, B. and F. Anim. 2012. Climate change and adaptation of small-scale cattle and sheep farmers. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 7: 2639-2646.
- Mcainsh, C., J. Kusina, J. Madsen, and O. Nyoni. 2004. Traditional chicken production in Zimbabwe. World Poult. Sci. J. 60:233-246. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS20040018
- Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MOAF). 2008. Agricultural Annual Report. Muscat, Oman.
- Ministry of National Economy (MONE). 2010. Data and indicators of the population. Muscat, Oman.
- Mwalusanya, N., A. Katule, S. Mutayoba, M. Mtambo, J. Olsenand, and U. Minga. 2002. Productivity of local chicken under village management conditions. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 34:405-416. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020048327158
- Petrus, N., I. Mpofu, and E. Lutaaya. 2011. The care and management of indigenous chicken in Northern communal areas of Namibia. Livest. Res. Rural Dev. 23(12). http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd23/12/petr23253.htm. Accessed Mar. 2012.
- Ramlah, A. 1996. Performance of village fowl in Malaysia. World Poult Sci. J. 52:76-79.
- Sainsbury, D. 1992. Poultry health and management - chicken, turkeys, ducks, geese, quail. 3rd ed. 216 p. Blackwell Scientific Ltd, Oxford, UK.
- Ssewannyana, E., A. Ssali, T. Kasadha, M. Dhikusooka, P. Kasoma, J. Kalema, B. Kwatotyo, and L. Aziku. 2008. On-farm characterization of indigenous chicken in Uganda. J. Anim Plant Sci. 1:33-37.
- Van Kampen, M. 1974. Physical factors affecting energy expenditure. In: Energy Requirements of Poultry (Eds. T. R. Morris and B. M. Freeman). pp. 47-59. Longman Group Ltd., Edinburgh, UK.
- Yakubu, A., D. Kuje, and M. Okpeku. 2009. Principal components as measures of size and shape in Nigerian indigenous chicken. Thai J. Agric. Sci. 42:167-176.