- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factor Analysis of Linear Type Traits and Their Relation with Longevity in Brazilian Holstein Cattle
- Kern, Elisandra Lurdes (Department of Animal Science, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul) ;
- Cobuci, Jaime Araujo (Department of Animal Science, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul) ;
- Costa, Claudio Napolis (Embrapa Gado de Leite) ;
- Pimentel, Concepta Margaret McManus (Department of Animal Science, University of Brasilia, Campus Darcy Ribeiro)
- Received : 2013.12.14
- Accepted : 2014.02.24
- Published : 2014.06.01
In this study we aimed to evaluate the reduction in dimensionality of 20 linear type traits and more final score in 14,943 Holstein cows in Brazil using factor analysis, and indicate their relationship with longevity and 305 d first lactation milk production. Low partial correlations (-0.19 to 0.38), the medium to high Kaiser sampling mean (0.79) and the significance of the Bartlett sphericity test (p<0.001), indicated correlations between type traits and the suitability of these data for a factor analysis, after the elimination of seven traits. Two factors had autovalues greater than one. The first included width and height of posterior udder, udder texture, udder cleft, loin strength, bone quality and final score. The second included stature, top line, chest width, body depth, fore udder attachment, angularity and final score. The linear regression of the factors on several measures of longevity and 305 d milk production showed that selection considering only the first factor should lead to improvements in longevity and 305 milk production.
- Caraviello, D. Z., K. A. Weigel, and D. Gianola. 2003. Analysis of the relationship between type traits, inbreeding, and functional survival in Jersey Cattle using a Weibull Proportional Hazards Model. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2984-2989. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73896-X
- Caetano, S. L., G. J. M. Rosa, R. P. Savegnago, S. B. Ramos, L. A. F. Bezerra, R. B. Lobo, C. C. P. De Paz, and D. P. Munari. 2012. Characterization of the variable cow's age at last calving as a measurement of longevity by using the Kaplan?Meier estimator and the Cox model. Animal 7:540-546.
- Campos, R. V. 2012. Genetic Parameters for Linear Type and Yield Traits in Holstein Cows in Brazil. Ph.D. Thesis, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre.
- Campos, R. V., J. A. Cobuci, C. N. Costa, and J. B. Neto. 2012. Genetic parameters for type traits in Holstein cows in Brazil. R. Bras. Zootec. 41:2150-2161. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982012001000003
- Cattell, R. B. 1966. The scree test for the number of factors. Multivariate Behav. Res. 1: 245-276. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327906mbr0102_10
- Chu, M. X. and S. K. Shi. 2002. Phenotypic factor analysis for linear type traits in Beijing Holstein cows. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1527-1530. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1527
- Corrales, J. A., M. Ceron-Munoz, J. A. Canas, C. R. Herrera, and S. C. Calvo. 2011. Relationship between type traits and milk production in Holstein cows from Antioquia, Colombia. Rev. MVZ Cordoba 16:2507-2513.
- Cruickshank, J., K. A. Weigel, M. R. Dentine, and B. W. Kirkpatrick. 2002. Indirect prediction of herd life in guernsey dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 85:1307-1313. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74195-7
- Cruz, C. D. and A. J. Regazzi. 1997. Biometric Models Applied to Genetic Improvement. 2nd. ed. Vicosa, Federal University of Vicosa, p. 390.
- Mantovani, R., I. Cerchiaro, and B. Contiero. 2005. Factor analysis for genetic evaluation of linear type traits in dual purpose breeds. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 4:31-33.
- Esteves, A. M., J. A. G. Bergmann, M. C. Duraes, C. N. Costa, and H. M. Silva. 2004. Genetic and phenotypic correlations between type traits and milk production in Holstein cattle. Arq. Bras. Med. Vet. Zootec. 56:529-535.
- Hair, J. R. J. F. 2009. Multivariate data analysis. 6th ed. Bookman, Porto Alegre, p. 679.
- Lagrotta, M. R., R. F. Euclydes, R. S. Verneque, M. L. Santana Junior, R. J. Pereira, and R. A. Torres. 2010. Relationship between morphological traits and milk yield in Gir breed cows. Pesq. Agropec. Bras. 45:423-429. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-204X2010000400011
- Miglior, F., B. L. Muir, and J. Van Doormaal. 2005. Selection Indices in Holstein cattle of various countries. J. Dairy Sci. 88: 1255-1263. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72792-2
- Morek-Kopec, M. and A. Zarnecki. 2012. Relationship between conformation traits and longevity in Polish Holstein Friesian cattle. Livest. Sci. 149:53-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.06.022
- Perez-Cabal, M. A., C. Garcia, O. Gonzalez-Recio, and R. Alenda. 2006. Genetic and phenotypic relationships among locomotion type traits, profit, production, longevity, and fertility in Spanish dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 89:1776-1783. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72246-9
- Posadas, M. V., H. H. M. Valdenegro, and F. J. R. Lopez, 2008. Genetic parameters for conformation traits, stayability and milk yield for Holstein dairy cattle in Mexico. Tec. Pecu. Mex. 46:235-248.
- Pundir, R. K., P. K. Singh, K. P. Singh, and P. S. Dangi. 2011. Factor analysis of biometric traits of Kankrej cows to explain body conformation. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 24:449-456. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.10341
- Renno, F. P., C. V. Araujo, J. C. Pereira, M. S. Freitas, R. A. Torres, L. N. Renno, J. A. G. Azevedo, and F. R. Kaiser. 2003. Genetic and phenotypic correlations among type traits and milk yield of Brown Swiss cattle in Brazil. R. Bras. Zootec. 32:1419-1430. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982003000600017
- Schneider, M. P., J. W. Durr, R. I. Cue, and H. G. Monardes. 2003. Impact of type traits on functional herd life of Quebec Holsteins assessed by survival analysis. J. Dairy Sci. 86:4083-4089. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)74021-1
- SAS Institute Inc. 2010. SAS/STAT User's Guide: ver. 9.22. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Samore, A. B., R. Rizzi, A. Rossoni, and A. Bagnato. 2010. Genetic parameters for functional longevity, type traits, somatic cell scores, milk flow and production in the Italian Brown Swiss. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 9:145-152.
- Sewalem, A., G. J. Kistemaker, F. Miglior, and B. J. Van Doormaal. 2004. Analysis of the relationship between type traits and functional survival in Canadian Holsteins using a Weibull Proportional Hazards Model. J. Dairy Sci. 87:3938-3946. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73533-X
- Vanraden, P. M. 2004. Invited review: Selection on net merit to improve lifetime profit. J. Dairy Sci. 87:3125-3131. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73447-5
- Visscher, P. M. 1995. Bias in multiple genetic correlation from halfsib design. Genet. Sel. Evol. 27:335-345. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-27-4-335
- Vukasinovic, N., J. Moll, and N. Kunzi. 1997. Factor analysis for evaluating relationships between herd life and type traits in Swiss Brown cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 49: 227-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(97)00014-6
- Zavadilova, L. and M. Stipkova. 2012. Genetic correlations between longevity and conformation traits in the Czech Holstein population. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 57:125-136.
- Genetic Parameters for Linear Type Traits and Milk, Fat, and Protein Production in Holstein Cows in Brazil vol.28, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0288
- Genome-wide association and pathway-based analysis using latent variables related to milk protein composition and cheesemaking traits in dairy cattle vol.100, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-13219
- Genetic association between stayability, and productive and reproductive traits in Holstein cows vol.58, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN16563
- ) vol.46, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2018.1502669