- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Seasonal Variations in Voluntary Intake and Apparent Digestibility of Forages in Goats Grazing on Introduced Leymus chinensis Pasture
- Sun, Zewei (Institute of Animal Science and Technology, Jilin Agricultural University) ;
- Wang, Zaisen (American Institute for Goat Research, Langston University) ;
- Zhong, Qingzhen (Institute of Animal Science and Technology, Jilin Agricultural University) ;
- Zhou, Daowei (Northeast Institute of Geography and Agroecology, Chinese Academy of Science)
- 투고 : 2013.09.04
- 심사 : 2014.01.24
- 발행 : 2014.06.01
The nutrient composition of pasture, voluntary intake and digestibility of diet ingested by goats grazing on an introduced Leymus chinensis pasture were measured across spring (May), summer (July), autumn (October) and winter (March). In each season, 12 Inner Mongolian Cashmere goats (6 wethers and 6 does with an average live weight of
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 16th ed. Washington, DC, USA.
- Allden, W. G. and I. A. Whittaker. 1970. The determinations of herbage intake by grazing sheep: The interrelationships of factors influencing herbage intake and availability. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 21:755-766. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9700755
- Cole, M. L., J. A. W. Smith, C. A. Cole, and D. A. Henry. 1996. An improved harness to collect faeces from sheep. Proc. Aust. Soc. Anim. Prod. 21:476.
- Corbett, J. L. 1969. The nutritional value of grassland herbage. In: International Encyclopaedia of Food and Nutrition (Ed. D. P. Cuthbertson) Pergamon Press, Oxford. pp. 593-644.
- Dove, H. and R. Mayes. 2005. Using n-alkanes and other plant wax components to estimate intake, digestibility and diet composition of grazing browsing sheep and goats. Small Rumin. Res. 59:123-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.05.016
- Huang, Z. H., J. M. Zhu, X. J. Mu, and J. X. Lin. 2002. Advances on the mechanism of low sexual reproductivity of Leymus chinensis. Grassland China 24:55-60.
- Dove, H. and R. W. Mayes. 1991. The use of plant wax alkanes as markers substances in studies of the nutrition of herbivores: A review. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 42:913-952. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9910913
- Ferreira, L. M. M., M. Oliva, U. Garcia, M. A. M, Rodrigues, and K. Osoro. 2005. Validation of the alkane technique to estimate diet selection of goats grazing heather-gorse vegetation communities. J. Sci. Food Agric. 85:1636-1646. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2162
- Ferreira, L. M. M., M. Oliván, R. Celaya, U. Garcia, M. A. M. Rodrigues, and K. Osoro. 2007. The use of n-alkanes to estimate diet composition of ruminants grazing on species diverse plant communities -Effect of feeding selectivity on diet composition estimates. Livest. Sci. 111:114-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.12.008
- Kababya, D., A. Perevolotsky, I. Bruckental, and S. Landau. 1998. Selec-tion of diets by dual-purpose Mamber goats in Mediterranean woodland. J. Agric. Sci. (Cambridge) 131:221-228.
- Liu, H. L. and Y. J. Lou. 2006. Study on degradation character of Leymus chinensis and alfalfa products in the cow rumen. Chinese J. Grassl. 28:47-51.
- Lou, Y. J., K. P. Wang, W. G. Cheng, and J. Z. Wang. 2006. Evaluation of Nutritional value for Leymus chinensis cv.Jisheng. Chinese J. Anim. Sci. 42:48-49.
- Mayes, R. W., C. S. Lamb, and P. M. Colgrove. 1986. The use of dosed and herbage n-alkanes as markers for the determination of herbage intake. J. Agric. Sci. 107:161-170. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600066910
- NRC. 1981. Nutrient Requirements of Goat. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Raghavendra, B., A. K. Shinde, S. K. Sankhyan, and D. L. Verma. 2002. Nutrition of range goats in a shrubland of western India. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1719-1724. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1719
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fibre and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Sun, H. X. and D. W. Zhou. 2007. Seasonal changes in voluntary intake and digestibility by sheep grazing introduced Leymus chinensis pasture. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 20:872-879. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.872
- Sun, Z., D. W. Zhou, L. M. M. Ferreira, Q. Zhong, and Y. Lou. 2008. Diet composition, herbage intake and digestibility in Inner Mongolian Cashmere goats grazing on native leymus chinensis plant communities. Livest. Sci. 116:146-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.09.018
- Sun, Z. W., D. W. Zhou, and Y. J. Lou. 2011. Study on grazing behavior of cashmere goat on artificial Leymus chinensis grassland in Songnen plain. Chinese J. Grassl. 5:74-78.
- Wang, K. P., Y. J. Lou, G. W. Chen, and J. Z. Wang. 2005. Study on the dynamic variation rule of nutritive substance for leymus chinensis cv, Jisheng. Pratacult. Sci. 22:24-27.
- Wang, L. J. 2013. Evaluation of Origin and Impurity Content on Nutritional Value of Leylus Chinensis. Northeast Agricultural University, Haerbin.
- Wang, R. Z. and A. R. Earle. 1997. Effects of grazing on a Leymus chinensis grassland on the Songnen plain of north-eastern China. J. Arid. Environ. 36:307-318. https://doi.org/10.1006/jare.1996.0214
- Zai, J. K., S. H. Wang, G. J. Song, and W. Zhen. 1994. Report on digestibility of leymus chinensis hay. Heilongjiang Anim Sci. Vet. Med. 4:12-13.
- Zhao, H. 2008. The Study of Nutrition Value of the Leymus Chinensis for Dairy Cattle and Associative Effects of Feeds. Heilongjiang Bayi Agricultural University, Daqing.
- Genetic potential of wild birdsfoot trefoil (Lotus corniculatus L.) seeds collected from different geographical locations regarding to nutrient composition and nutritive value vol.89, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10457-015-9828-4