- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Determination of Nutrient Contents and In vitro Gas Production Values of Some Legume Forages Grown in the Harran Plain Saline Soils
- Boga, M. (Bor Vocational School, Nigde University) ;
- Yurtseven, S. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Harran University) ;
- Kilic, U. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Ondokuz Mayis University) ;
- Aydemir, S. (Department of Soil Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Harran University) ;
- Polat, T. (Department of Field Crops, Faculty of Agriculture, Harran University)
- Received : 2013.11.14
- Accepted : 2014.01.31
- Published : 2014.06.01
The aim of this study was to determine the nutritive value of some legume species in salt-affected soils of South-East Anatolian region using chemical composition and in vitro gas production kinetics. In this study, Lotus corniculatus, Trifolium alexandrinum, Medicago sativa were sown and tested in four different locations. A 3 by 4 factorial design with 3 legume species and 4 salt levels (non salty electrical conductivity (EC)<4 dS/m; low salt: 4 dS/m>EC<8 dS/m, medium saline: 8 dS/m>EC<16 dS/m and high salt: 16 dS/m>EC) was used in the study. Results indicated that salinity and plants had no significant effect on ash and ether extract. Dry matter (DM), acid detergent fiber, digestible dry matter, dry matter intake (DMI) were affected by plant, salinity and plant
In vitro Gas Production;Glycophyte Forages;Legume sp.;Relative Feed Value;Salt Stress
- Doane, P. H., P. Schofield, and A. N. Pell. 1997. Neutral detergent fiber disappearance and gas and volatile fatty acid production during the in vitro fermentation of six forages. J. Anim. Sci. 75:3342-3352.
- Aydemir, S., M. A. Cullu, T. Polat, O. Sonmez, M. Dikilitas, and H. Akil. 2008. Harran Plain soils facing salinity problems and their possible amelioration status. In: Proceedings of the Irrigation and Salinity Conference, 12-13 June 2008, Sanliurfa, Turkey, pp. 45-62.
- Aydemir, S., T. Polat, M. A. Cullu, C. Kaya, O. Sonmez, B. Hacikamiloglu, M. Dikilitas, S. Yurtseven, E. Dogn, A. Surucu, and S. Karakas. 2011 Adaptation of glycohyte and halophyte fodder crops to the Saline Soils of Harran Plain and their amendatory effects on physico-chemical characateristics of soil. Tubitak Project Report. Project No: 106 O 145.
- Bakir, O. 1985. Pasture Improvement Strategies. Ankara University, Ankara. p. 272.
- Brown, J. W. and H. E. Hayward, 1956. Salt tolerance of alfalfa varieties. Agron. J. 48:18-20. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1956.00021962004800010005x
- Chapman, H. D. and P. F. Pratt. 1982. Methods of analysis for soils, plants and water. Methods of Soil Analysis Part 1: Physical and Mineralogical Methods 2nd Edition. Agronomy Series No: 9. Am. Soc. Agronomy and Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Inc. Publisher, Madison, Wisconsin USA.
- El Shaer, H. M. 2010. Halophytes and salt-tolerant plants as potential forage for ruminants in the Near East region. Small Rumin. Res. 91:3-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2010.01.010
- Fougere, F., D. Le Rudulier, and G. John. 1991. Streeter effects of salt stress on amino acid, organic acid, and carbohydrate composition of roots, bacteroids, and cytosol of alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). Plant Physiol. 96:1228-1236. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.96.4.1228
- Abdulrazak, S. A., T. Fujihara, J. K. Ondilek, and E. R. Orskov. 2000. Nutritive evaluation of some Acacia tree leaves from Kenya. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 85:89-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(00)00133-4
- AOAC. 1998. Officinal Methods of Analysis. 16th Edition, AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- Getachew, G., P. H. Robinson, E. J. De Peters, and S. J. Taylor. 2004. Relationships between chemical composition, dry matter degradation and in vitro gas production of several ruminant feeds. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 111:57-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(03)00217-7
- Linn, J. G. and N. P. Martin. 1999. Forage quality tests and interpretations. University of Minnesota Extension Service, Minneapolis (1989) (MN AG-FO-02637).
- Jeranyama, P. and A. D. Garcia. 2004. Understanding relative feed value (RFV) and relative forage quality (RFQ). Cooperative Extension Service, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD, USA. http://pubstorage.sdstate.edu/AgBio_Publications/ articles/exex8149.pdf Accesed September 27, 2011.
- Jia, Y. X., L. Sun, F. He, L. Q. Wan, Q. H. Yuan, and X. L. Li. 2008. Analysis of effects of salt stress on absorption and accumulation of mineral elements in elymus spp. using atomic absorption spectrophotometer. Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi. 28:2984-2988.
- Lauchb, A. 1984. Salt exclusion: An adaptation of legume for crops and pastures under saline condition. In: Salinity Tolerance in Plants. Strategies for Crop Improvement (Eds. R. C. Stoples and G. H. Toenniessen). John Willey and Sons, Tolonto, Canada. pp. 171-187.
- Lutts, S., J. M. Kinet, and J. Bouharmont. 1996. Effects of salt stress on growth, mineral nutrition and proline accumulation in relation to osmotic adjustment in rice (Oryza sativa) cultivars differing in salinity resistance. Plant Growth Regul. 19:207-218. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00037793
- Mashhady, A. S., H. I. Sayed, and M. S. Heakal. 1982. Effect of soil salinity and water stresses on growth and content of nitrogen, chloride and phosphate of wheat and triticale. Plant Soil 68:207-216 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02373706
- Menke, K. H., L. Raab, A. Salewski, H. Steingass, D. Fritz, and W. Schneider. 1979. The estimation of the digestibility and metabolizable energy content of ruminant feedingstuffs from the gas production when they are incubated with rumen liquor in vitro. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 93:217-222. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600086305
- Menke, K. H. and H. Steingass. 1988. Estimation of the energetic feed value obtained from chemical analysis and in vitro gas production using rumen fluid. Anim. Res. Dev. 28:7-55.
- NRC. 1984. Nutrient Requiremets of Small Ruminants. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Munns, R. 1993. Physiological processes limiting plant growth in saline soils: Some dogmas and hypotheses. Plant Cell Environ.16:15-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3040.1993.tb00840.x
- Norman, H. C., D. G. Masters, R. A. Dynes, and D. A. Henry. 2002. Live weight change and wool growth in young sheep grazing a mixed saltbush and balansa clover pasture. Anim. Prod. Aust. 24: 334.
- NRC. 1981. Nutrient Requiremets of Domestic Animals N0.15. Nutrient Requirements of Goats. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- NRC. 1985. Nutrient Requiremets of Beef Cattle Ruminants. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Orskov, E. and I. Mcdonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 92: 499-503. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600063048
- Smith, S. E. 1998. Evaluating salt tolerance: some experiences with nondormant alfalfa. In: Proceedings of the 36th North American Alfalfa Improvement Conference. August 2-6, 1998; Bozeman, MT, USA. p. 24-25.
- SPSS, 2006. Windows Evaluation Version (Base 15.0). Chicago, IL, USA.
- Suyama, H., S. E. Benes, P. H. Robinson, G. Getachew, S. R. Grattan, and C. M. Grieve. 2007. Biomass yield and nutritional quality of forage species under long-term irrigation with saline-sodic drainage water: Field evaluation. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 135:329-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.08.010
- Taban, S. and V. Katkat. 2000. Effect of salt stress on growth and mineral elements concentrations in shoot and root of maize plant. J. Agric. Sci. 6:119-122.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Ward, R. 2008. Relative feed value (RFV) vs. relative forage quality (RFQ). http://www.foragelab.com/Media/RFV_vs_ RFQ-CVAS%20Perspective.pdf Accesed January 20, 2014.
- Effect of species on chemical composition, metabolizable energy, organic matter digestibility and methane production of some legume plants grown in Turkey vol.46, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2018.1480485
- Proteomics integrated with metabolomics: analysis of the internal causes of nutrient changes in alfalfa at different growth stages vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12870-018-1291-8