- Volume 9 Issue 3
Polymers are the most commonly used di-electrics because of their reliability, availability, ease of fabrication and cost. The commercial and industrial demand for advanced polymeric materials which are capable of being used in harsh environment is need of the hour. The study of the effect of electron beam irradiation on polymeric materials is an area of rapidly increasing interest. This paper discusses the resultant beneficial effects of electron beam irradiation on the SiR-EPDM blend having 50:50 composition. The changes in mechanical and electrical properties of SiR-EPDM blend which are exposed to three different doses of electron beam radiation namely 5 Mrad, 15 Mrad and 25 Mrad are presented. The irradiated blends are analyzed for their electro-mechanical and physico chemical properties. The electrical changes induced by irradiation are investigated by arc resistance, surface resistivity and volume resistivity measurements as per ASTM standards. The mechanical changes are observed by the measurement of tensile strength and elongation at break. Physico chemical investigation has been done using the FTIR, in order to investigate the irradiation induced chemical changes.
Silicone Rubber (SiR);Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM);Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR);E-beam irradiation;Cross-linking;Chain scission
- V. Rajini., K. Udayakumar, "Degradation in Silicone Rubber under AC or DC Voltages in radiation environment" IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation. Vol. 16, Issue 3, pp. 834-841, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2009.5128524
- V. Rajini, K.Udayakumar, "Resistance to tracking of EPDM aged by Gamma irradiation under AC and DC voltages", International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems. Vol. 8, Issue 3. pp.1-20, 2007.
- M. Brown, "Compounding of Ethylene Propylene Polymers for electrical applications", IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, Vol. 13, Issue 1, pp. 16-22, 1994.
- S. Kole, K. Tripathy, "Morphology and ageing behaviour of Silicon-EPDM blends", Journal of Material Science, pp. 2451-2455, 1994.
- R. Raja Prabhu, S. Usa. K. Udhyakumar, "Electrical Insulation Characteristics of Silicone and EPDM blends". IEEE Transactions on Di-electrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 14, Issue 5, pp.1207-1214, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2007.4339481
- Deepalaxmi. R., Balaji. M., Rajini. V, "Particle SwarmOptimization Based selection of Optimal Polymeric Blend", IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 20, No.3, 922-931, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2013.6518961
- M. Ehsani, H. Borsi, E. Gockenbach, G. R. Bakhshandeh I. J. Morshedian, I. N. Abedi, "Study of Electrical, Dynamic Mechanical and Surface Properties of Silicone-EPDM Blends", International Conference on Solid Dielectrics, Toilouse, France. pp. 1-4, 2004.
- R. Javid Laghari, Ahmad N. Hammoud, "A brief survey of radiation effects on polymer di-electrics", IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 37, Issue 2, pp.1076-1083, 1990 https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.1990.574201
- R. M. Bhat, "Dosimetry in Industrial radiation processing", IANCAS Bulletin. pp. 107-119, 2005.
- A. Bhowmick, Vijayabaskar. "Electron beam curing of elastomers", IANCAS Bulletin., pp. 81-90, 2005.
- Mahmood Borhani, Ghazanfar Mirjalili, Farhood Ziaie and Mohammad A. Bolorizadeh. "Electrical properties of EVA/LDPE blends irradiated by high energy electron beam", Nuleeonika, Vol. 52, Issue 2, pp. 77-81, 2007.
- K. Shinyama, M. Baba, S. Fujita, "Di-electric properties of electron beam irradiated polymer insulating material", Proceedings of Instrumentation Symposium on Electrical Insulation Materials, Toyobaih, Japan, pp. 387-391, 1996.
- L. Elvado, Rossini, Holio Wiebeck, Leonardo. G and Andraade Silva, "Study of E beam irradiation effects on morphological properties of PET/PP/PE/EVA blends", International Nuclear Atlantic Conference, Brazil, pp.1-10, 2009.
- Gamma and electron beam irradiation effects on SiR-EPDM blends vol.7, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.984
- Effect of electron beam irradiation on thermal and crystallization behavior of PP/EPDM blend vol.141, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.984
- Correlation between viscoelastic behavior and morphology of nanocomposites based on SR/EPDM blends compatibilized by maleic anhydride vol.113, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.984
- Performance evaluation of electron beam irradiated SIR-EPDM blends vol.22, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.984