- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Properties of Hanji with natural pigment dyeing for use as a fashion material
천연 황색안료 염색한지의 패션소재 적용 가능성 평가에 관한 연구
- Kim, Kihoon (Dept. of Fashion Design, Sejong University) ;
- Lim, Hyuna (Hanji Industry Support Center)
- Received : 2014.04.01
- Accepted : 2014.04.23
- Published : 2014.04.30
This study analyzes and compares Hanji made with loess to Hanji made with kaolin, two yellow-based inorganic pigments, in terms of its physical properties, optical properties, and color fastness to light with the aim of using it as a fashion material. Hanji made by adding inorganic pigments showed an approximately 20% retention ratio on average. This figure was similar to those of loess and kaolin. Physical properties were analyzed, with the following results. A higher amount of additives lowered the apparent density and increased thickness and bulk. In general, inorganic pigment-added Hanji had lower tensile strength, bursting strength, and folding endurance compared to non-additive Hanji. The analysis of optical properties showed a lower brightness index for Hanji made with inorganic pigments compared to non-additive Hanji. When comparing the two inorganic pigments, the brightness of Hanji made with kaolin was higher. Regarding color fastness to light, loess showed level 4 and kaolin showed level 5 when 25% inorganic pigments on pulp were added to Hanji. Thus, Hanji made by adding inorganic pigments during the manufacturing process may perform well as materials for fashion because the additives enhanced both the color fastness to light and the bulk while maintaining the strength. In addition, Hanji dyed with inorganic pigments may have the potential to serve as materials for the fashion industry while still retaining the characteristics of Hanji.
- Jeon, C.(2011). A study on origin and differentiation of Korean paper art. Journal of Korea TAPPI, 43(4), 11-22.
- Jeon, Y. B., & Geum, K. S.(2011). Study on the current situation of shroud design, and direction for the development of Hanji shroud designs. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 61(4), 92-102.
- Kang, J. Y., & Shon, Y. M.(2008). A study on the design of Korean paper dress. The Korean Society of Fashion Design, 8(3), 41-58.
- Lee, S. H., Yoo, S. I., & Choi, T. H.(2009). Natural dyeing characteristics of Korean traditional paper with smoke tree(Continus coggygria Scop). Journal of Korea TAPPI, 41(2), 40-46.
- Na, Y. J., & Lee, H. K.(2013). An exploration according to clothing category for increasing the sustainability of fashion and textiles. Fashion & Text. Res. J., 15(2), 294-301. https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.2.294
- Park, J. J.(2009). A study on material and image trends in contemporary fashion. The Korean Society of Fashion Design, 9(1), 47-60.
- Park, M. O., & Yoon, S. L.(2010). Properties of natural dyeing of bast fiber(Part 2) - Pre mordanting dyeing of sappan wood, gardenia and gallut -. Journal of Korea TAPPI, 42(4), 1-14.