- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Multi-scale Image Segmentation Using MSER and its Application
MSER을 이용한 다중 스케일 영상 분할과 응용
- Received : 2014.02.17
- Accepted : 2014.03.13
- Published : 2014.03.28
Multi-scale image segmentation is important in many applications such as image stylization and medical diagnosis. This paper proposes a novel segmentation algorithm based on MSER(maximally stable extremal region) which captures multi-scale structure and is stable and efficient. The algorithm collects MSERs and then partitions the image plane by redrawing MSERs in specific order. To denoise and smooth the region boundaries, hierarchical morphological operations are developed. To illustrate effectiveness of the algorithm's multi-scale structure, effects of various types of LOD control are shown for image stylization. The proposed technique achieves this without time-consuming multi-level Gaussian smoothing. The comparisons of segmentation quality and timing efficiency with mean shift-based Edison system are presented.
- M. Donoser and H. Bischof, "Efficient maximally stable extremal region (MSER) tracking," IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp.553-560, 2006.
- J. E. Kyprianidis, et al, "State of the art: a taxonomy of artistic stylization techniques for images and video," IEEE Tr. Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol.19, No.5, pp.866-885, 2012.
- C. M. Christoudias, B. Georgescu, and P. Meer, "Synergism in low level vision," International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Vol.4, pp.150-155, 2002.
- P. E. Forssen, "Maximally stable color regions for recognition and matching," IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp.1-8, 2007.
- E. Murphy-Chutorian and M. Trivedi, "N-tree disjoint-set forests for maximally stable extremal regions," British Machine Vision Conference, pp.739-748, 2006.
- F. J. Estrada and A. D. Jepson, "Benchmarking image segmentation algorithms," International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol.85, pp.167-181, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11263-009-0251-z
- D. DeCarlo and A. Santella, "Stylization and abstraction of photographs," SIGGRAPH, pp.769-776, 2002.
- T. Lindeberg, "Detecting salient blob-like image structures and their scales with a scale-space primal sketch: a method of focus-of-attention," International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol.11, No.3, pp.283-318, 1993.
- J. Matas et al. "Robust wide baseline stereo from maximally stable extremal regions," British Machine Vision Conference, pp.384-396, 2002.
- P. Arbelaez, "Contour detection and hierarchical image segmentation," IEEE Tr. PAMI, Vol.33, No.5, pp.898-916, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2010.161
- D. Martin, "A database of human segmented natural images and its application to evaluating segmentation algorithms and measuring ecological statistics," ICCV, pp.1-8, 2001.
- L. M. Lifshitz and S. M. Pizer, "A multiresolution hierarchical approach to image segmentation based on intensity extrema," IEEE Tr. PAMI, Vol.12, No.6, pp.529-540, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.56189
- A. Petrovic, "Multiresolution segmentation of natural images: from linear to nonlinear scale-space representations," IEEE Tr. Image Processing, Vol.13, No.8, pp.1104-1114, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2004.828431
- J. Chen, "Edge-guided multiscale segmentation of satellite multispectral imagery," IEEE Tr. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.50, No.11, pp.4513-4520, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2012.2194502
- K. Mikolajczyk,, "A comparison of affine region detectors," International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol.65, No.1/2, pp.43-72, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11263-005-3848-x
- M. Donoser, H. Bischof, and M. Wiltsche, "Color blob segmentation by MSER analysis," IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp.757-760, 2006.
- M. Donoser, H. Riemenschneider, and H. Bischof, "Linked edges as stable region boundaries," IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp.1665-1672, 2010.
- Y. Gui, X. Zhang, and Y. Shang, "SAR image segmentation using MSER and improved spectral clustering," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol.2012, No.1, pp.1-9, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1186/1687-6180-2012-1
- D. Nister and H. Stewenius, "Linear time maximally stable extremal regions," ECCV, pp.183-196, 2008.
- K. A. Tran and G. Lee, "Text segmentation from images with various light conditions based on Gaussian mixture model," International Journal of Contents, Vol.9, No.1, pp.1-5, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2013.9.1.001
- I. S. Na, K. H. Oh, and S. H. Kim, "Unconstrained object segmentation using GrabCut based on automatic generation of initial boundary," International Journal of Contents, Vol.9, No.1, pp.6-10, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2013.9.1.006
- J. J. Koenderink, "The structure of images," Biological Cybernetics, Vol.50, pp.363-370, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00336961
- A. P. Witkin, "Scale space filtering," IJCAI, pp.1019-1023, 1983.