- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Systematic Review on Effect of Mirror Therapy on Upper Extremity Function for Stroke Patients
뇌졸중 환자의 상지기능 향상을 위한 거울치료 효과에 관한 체계적 고찰
- Received : 2013.12.27
- Accepted : 2014.02.12
- Published : 2014.03.28
Recent years, mirror therapy or mirror neuron therapy has been used to improve neural damage of upper extremities among stroke patients. This systematic review was conducted to assess the clinical effect of mirror therapy used for the treatment of upper extremities for patients with stroke. After literature search, researchers selected for 9 randomized controlled clinical trial studies registered up to October 2013 based on PubMed database, using the following search terms: mirror therapy, mirror neuron, stroke, paresis, hemiplegia, upper extremity. There were significant improves of distal upper extremity function in the use of mirror therapy groups but the research using range of motion(ROM) as outcome measure. In conclusion, mirror therapy was more effective than conventional therapies or sham therapies for upper recovery of distal upper extremity function among stroke patients.
Stroke;Mirror Therapy;Mirror Neuron;Upper Extremity Function
- M. E. Michelsen, R. W. Selles, J. N. van der Geest, M. Eckhardt, G. Yavuzer, H. J. Stam, M. Smits, G. M. Ribbers, and J. B. Bussmann, "Motor recovery and cortical reorganization after mirror therapy in chronic stroke patients: a phase II randomized controlled trial," Neurorehabil Neural Repair, Vol.25, No.3, pp.223-233, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968310385127
- M. I. Garry, A. Lofus, and J. J. Summers, "Mirror, mirror on the wall: Viewing a mirror reflection of unilateral hand movements facilitates ipsilateral M1 excitability," Exp Brain Res, Vol.163, No.1, pp.118-122, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00221-005-2226-9
- R. J. Seitz, P. Hoflich, F. Binkofski, L. Tellmann, H. Herzog, and J. H. Freund, "Role of the premotor cortex in recovery from middle cerebral artery infarction," Arch Neurol, Vol.55, No.8, pp.1081-1088, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.55.8.1081
- G. J. Yun, M. H. Chun, J. Y. Park, and B. R. Kim, "The synergic effects of mirror therapy and neuromuscular electrical stimulation for hand function in stroke patients," Ann Rehabil Med, Vol.35, No.3, pp.316-321, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2011.35.3.316
- 방요순, 김희영, 이문규, "뇌졸중 환자의 상지기능에 영향을 미치는 요인", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제9권, 제2호, pp.202-210, 2009.
- H. Thieme, M. Bayn, M. Wurg, C. Zange, M. Pohl, and J. Behrens, "Mirror therapy for patients with severe arm paresis after stroke- a randomized controlled trial," Clin Rehabil, Vol.27, No.4, pp.314-324, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215512455651
- C. Dohle, J. Pullen, A. Nakaten, J. Kust, C. Rietz, and H. Karbe, "Mirror therapy promotes recovery from severe hemiparesis: a randomized controlled trial," Neurorehabil Neural Repair, Vol.23, No.3, pp.209-217, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968308324786
- M. Invernizzi, S. Negrini, S. Carda, L. Lanzotti, C. Cisari, and A. Baricich, "The value of adding mirror therapy for upper limb motor recovery of subacute stroke patients: a randomized controlled trial," Eur J. of Phys Rehabil Med, Vol.49, No.3, pp.311-317, 2013.
- M. M. Lee, H. Y. Cho, and C. H. Song, "The mirror therapy program enhances upper-limb motor recovery and motor function in acute stroke patients," Am J. of Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.91, No.8, pp.689-700, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1097/PHM.0b013e31824fa86d
- A. Radajewska, J. A. Opara, C. Kucio, M. Blaszczyszyn, K. Mehlich, and J. Szczyqiel, "The effects of mirror therapy on arm and hand function in subacute stroke in patients," Int J. of Rehabil Res., Vol.36, No.3, pp.268-274, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1097/MRR.0b013e3283606218
- K. Matthys, M. Smits, J. N. Van der Geest, A. Van der Lugt, R. Seurinck, H. J. Stam, and R. W. Selles, "Mirror-induced visual illusion of hand movement: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.90, No.4, pp.675-681, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2008.09.571
- M. Iacoboni, L. M. Koski, M. Brass, H. Bekkering, R. P. Woods, M. C. Dubeau, and G. Rizzolatti, "Reafferent copies of imitated actions in the right superior temporal cortex," Proc Natl Acad Sci, Vol.98, No.24, pp.13995-13999, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.241474598
- H. S. Hendriks, J. Van Limbeek, A. C. Geurts, and M. J. Zwarts, "Motor recovery after stroke: a systematic review of the literature," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.83, No.11, pp.1629-1637, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2002.35473
- S. J. Page, D. R. Gater, and P. Bach-Y-Rita, "Reconsidering the motor recovery plateau in stroke rehabilitation," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.85, No.8, pp.1377-1381, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2003.12.031
- B. Rosen and G. Lundborg, "Training with a mirror in rehabilitation of the hand," Scand J. of Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg, Vol.39, No.2, pp.104-108, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/02844310510006187
- A. Brodal, "Self-observations and neuroanatomical considerations after a stroke," Brain, Vol.96, No.4, pp.675-694, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/96.4.675
- 박상범, 김미현, "뇌졸중 환자의 재활을 위한 인지적 중재전략으로서의 운동심상과 활동관찰", 한국특수체육학회지, 제13권, 제2호, pp.109-120, 2005.
- J. A. Stevens and M. E. Stoykov, "Using motor imagery in the rehabilitation of hemiparesis," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.84, No.7, pp.1090-1092, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(03)00042-X
- E. L. Altschuler, S. B. Wisdom, L. Stone, C. Foster, D. Galasko, D. M. Llewellyn, and V. S. Ramachandran, "Rehabilitation of hemiparesis after stroke with a mirror," Lancet, Vol.353, No.9169, pp.2035-2036, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)00920-4
- K. Sathian, A. L. Greenspan, and S. L. Wolf, "Doing it with mirrors: a case study of a novel approach to neurorehabilitation," Neurorehabil Neural Repair, Vol.14, No.1, pp.73-76, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/154596830001400109
- S. Sutbeyaz, G. Yavuzer, N. Sezer, and B. F. Koseoglu, "Mirror therapy enhances lower-extremity motor recovery and motor functioning after stroke: a randomized controlled trial," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.88, No.5, pp.555-559, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2007.02.034
- 우희순, 장기연, 박우권, "거울치료가 만성 뇌졸중 환자의 손 기능 회복에 미치는 영향", 대한작업치료학회지, 제19권, 제1호, pp.93-103, 2011.
- 유수전, 황기철, 김희정, 권혁철, "거울매개치료가 뇌졸중 후 편마비 환자의 상지기능과 일상생활활동에 미치는 영향", 대한작업치료학회지, 제19권, 제2호, pp.25-37, 2011.
- 박주형, 강신욱, "국내 뇌졸중 환자들 대상으로한 거울치료 중재 적용 연구에 대한 체계적 고찰", 한국고령친화건강정책학회지, 제4권, 제2호, pp.15-22, 2012.
- Physiotherapy Evidence Database. Pedro scale. Retrieved from http://www.pedro.org.au/english/downloads/pedro-scale
- G. Yavuzer, R. Selles N. Sezer, S. Sutbeyaz, J. B. Bussmann, F. Koseoglu, M. B. Atay, and H. J. Stam, "Mirror therapy improves hand function in subacute stroke: a randomized controlled trial," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.89, No.3, pp.393-398, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2007.08.162
- C. Y. Wu, P. C. Huang, Y. T. Chen, K. C. Lin, and H. W. Yang, "Effect of mirror therapy on motor and sensory recovery in chronic stroke: a randomized controlled trial," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.94, No.6, pp.1023-1030, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2013.02.007
- T. Platz, C. Eickhof, S. Van-Kaick, U. Engel, C. Pinkowaki, S. Kalok, and M. Pause, "Impairment-oriented training or Bobath therapy for severe arm paresis after stroke: A single-blind, multicentre randomized controlled trial," Clin Rehabil, Vol.19, No.7, pp.714-721, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215505cr904oa
- World Health Organization, Stroke, cerebrovascular accident. Geneva (Switzerland): WHO, 2010.
- C. Luke, K. J. Dodd, and K. Brock, "Outcomes of the Bobath concept on upper limb recovery following stroke," Clin Rehabil, Vol.18, No.8, pp.888-898, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215504cr793oa
- S. L. Wolf, D. E. LeCraw, and L. A. Barton, "Comparison of motor copy and targeted biofeedback training techniques for restitution of upper extremity function among subjects with neurologic disorders," Phys Ther, Vol.69, No.9, pp.719-735, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/69.9.719
- A. Richardson, "Mental practice: A review and discussion part 1," The Research quarterly of the AAHPER, Vol.38, No.1, pp.95-107, 1967.
- E. Taub, N. E. Miler, T. A. Novack, E. W. Cook, W. C. Fleming, C. S. Nepomuceno, J. S. Connell, and J. E. Crago, "Technique to improve chronic motor deficit after stroke," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.74, No.4, pp.347-354, 1993.
- X. L. Hu, K. Y. Tong, R. Song, X. J. Zheng, and W. W. Leung, "A comparison between electromyography-driven robot and passive motion device on wrist rehabilitation for chronic stroke," Neurorehabil Neural Repair, Vol.23, No.8, pp.837-846, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968309338191