- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Tourism Experience on the Quality of Life of the Elderly
노인의 관광경험이 삶의 질에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Hyelin (Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University) ;
- Hyun, Insook ;
- Woo, Eunjoo (Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University)
- Received : 2013.06.13
- Accepted : 2014.12.19
- Published : 2014.03.28
The study aimed to explore the association between tourism experience and the quality of life among the elderly over aged 65. Using a sample from Jeju, this study clarifies tourism experiences of the elderly and examines the relationship among tourism experience, six different life domains, and overall quality of life by generating theoretical and practical implications. Structural Equation Modeling approach was used to identify the relationships among the constructs. The results revealed that travel experience positively influences satisfaction with family, social, material, psychological, health, and leisure life domain. However, not all life domain satisfaction affects overall quality of life. Satisfaction with family, leisure, health, psychological well-being life domains was linked to overall life satisfaction among the elderly.
Elderly;Travel Experience;Life Domain Satisfaction;Overall Quality Of Life
- M. Uysal and L. A. R. Hagan, Motivation of Pleasure Travel and Tourism, In M. A. Khan, M. D. Olsen & T. Var (Eds.), VNR' s Encyclopedia of Hospitality and Tourism, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, pp.798-810, 1993.
- N. Kelley-Gillespie, "An Integrated Conceptual Model of Quality of Life for Older Adults Based on a Synthesis of the Literature," Applied Research in Quality of life, Vol.4, No.3, pp.259-282, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11482-009-9075-9
- J. Brown, A. Blowling, and T. N. Flynn, "T. N, Models of quality of life: A taxonomy and systematic review of the literature review," Sheffield, UK: Report Commissioned by the Europrean Forum on Population Ageing Research/Quality of Life, 2004.
- E. Diener, R A. Emmons, R. J. Larsen, and S. Griffin, "The Satisfaction With Life Scale," Journal of Personality Assessment, Vol.49, No.1, pp.71-75, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13
- S. Grzeskowiak, M. J. Sirgy, D. Lee, and C. B. Claiborne, "Housing Well-Being: Developing and Validating a Measure," Social Indicators Research, Vol.79, No.3, pp.503-541, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-005-5667-4
- L. Halvorsrud, and M. Kalfoss, "The conceptualization and measurement of quality of life in older adults: a review of empirical studies published during 1994-2006," European Journal of Ageing, Vol.4, No.4, pp.229-246, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10433-007-0063-3
- K. A. Bollen, Structural equations with latent variables, John Wiley& Sons, New York, 1989.
- J. Hair, W. Black, B. Babin, R. Anderson, and R. Tatham, Multivariate data analysis, Pearson Education, New Jersy, 2010.
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.1, pp.39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- M. J. Sirgy and T. Cornwell, "Further Validation of the Sirgy et al.'s Measure of Community Quality of Life," Social Indicators Research, Vol.56, No.2, pp.125-143, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012254826324
- N. Leiper, Tourism Management, RMIT Press, Melbourne, 1995.
- H. E. A. Tinsley and R. A. Kass, "The latent structure of the need satisfying properties of leisure activities," Journal of Leisure Research, Vol.11, No.4, pp.278-291, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222216.1979.11969406
- J. D. Neal, M. J. Sirgy, and M. Uysal, "The Role of Satisfaction with Leisure Travel/Tourism Services and Experience in Satisfaction with Leisure Life and Overall Life," Journal of Business Research, Vol.44, No.3, pp.153-163, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(97)00197-5
- D. Gilbert and J. J. Abdullah, "Holiday taking and the sense of well-being," Annals of Tourism Research, Vol.31, No.1, pp.103-121, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2003.06.001
- M. London, R. Crandall, and G. Seals, "The contribution of job and leisure satisfaction to quality of life," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.62, No.3, pp.328-334, 1997.
- R. J. Havighurst, "Successful aging," The Gerontologist, Vol.1, No.1, pp.8-13, 1961. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/1.1.8
- B. W. Lemon, V. L. Bengtson, and J. A. Peterson, "An exploration of the Activity Theory of Aging: activity types and life satisfaction among in-movers to a retirement community," Journal of Gerontology, Vol.27, No.4, pp.511-523, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/27.4.511
- E. M. Cumming and W. Henry, Growing, Basic Books, New York, 1961.
- M. J. Sirgy and D. Lee, "Macro Measures of Consumer well-being: A critical Analysis and Research Agenda," Journal of Macromarketing, Vol.26, No.1, pp.27-44, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/0276146705285669
- M. J. Sirgy, R. Widgery, D. J. Lee, and G. Yu, "Life Domains," Social Indicators Research, Vol.96, No.2, pp.295-31, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-009-9479-9
- M. J. Sirgy, J. Hansen, and J. E. Littlefiend, "Does Hospital Satisfaction Affect Life Satisfaction?," Journal of Macromarketing, Vol.14, Fall, pp.36-46, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/027614679401400204
- M. J. Sirgy, P. S. Kruger, D-J. Lee, and G. Yu, "How Does a Travel Trip Affect Tourists' Life Satisfaction?," Journal of Travel Research, Vol.50, No.3, pp.261-275, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287510362784
- P. S. Kruger, "Perceptions of Tourism Impacts and Satisfaction with Particular Life Domains," Handbook of Tourism and Quality-of-Life Research, pp.279-292, 2012.
- Bureau of the Census, 65+ in the United States: 2005 current population reports, Accessed April 1, 2013, 2006.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Investigation of the aged, 2012.
- S. Gee and J. Baillie, "Happily Ever After? An Exploration of Retirement Expectations," Educational Gerontology, Vol.25, No.1, pp.109-128, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/036012799267909
- G. Nimrod, "Retirement and tourism Themes in retirees' narratives," Annals of Tourism Research, Vol.35, No.4, pp.859-878, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2008.06.001
- G. Nimrod and H. Adoni, "Leisure-style and life satisfaction among recent retirees in Israel," Aging and Society, Vol.28, No.4, pp.607-630, 2006.
- M. Janke, A. Davey, and D. Kleiber, "Modeling Change in Older Adults' Leisure Activities," Leisure Sciences, Vol.28, No.3, pp.285-303, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/01490400600598145
- M. Silverstein and M. G. Parker, "Leisure Activities and Quality of Life among the Oldest Old in Sweden," Research on Aging, Vol.24, No.5, pp.528-547, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/0164027502245003