- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Determinant Factors Affecting Economic Impact, Helpfulness, and Helpfulness Votes of Online
온라인 리뷰의 경제적 효과, 유용성과 유용성 투표수에 영향을 주는 결정요인
- Received : 2013.11.07
- Accepted : 2014.03.17
- Published : 2014.03.31
More and more people are gravitating to reading products reviews prior to making purchasing decisions. As a number of reviews that vary in usefulness are posted every day, much attention is being paid to measuring their helpfulness. The goal of this paper is to investigate firstly various determinants of the helpfulness of reviews, and intends to examine the moderating effect of product type, i.e., search or experience goods on the product sales, helpfulness and helpfulness votes of online reviews. The determinants include product data, review characteristics, and textual characteristics of reviews. The results indicate that the direct effect exists for the determinants of product sales, helpfulness, and helpfulness votes. Further, the moderating effects of product type exist for these determinants on three dependent variables. The results of study will identify helpful online review and design review sites effectively.
Supported by : 세종대학교
- Aciar, S., D. Zhang, S. Simoff, and J. Debenham, "Informed recommender : Ba sing recommendations on consumer product reviews", IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol.22(2007), pp.39-47. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIS.2007.55
- Aladag, C. H., E. Egrioglu, and S. Gunay, "A new architecture selection strategy in solving seasonal autoregressive time series by artificial neural networks", Hacettepe Journal of Mathematics and Statistics, Vol. 37, No.2(2008), pp.185-200.
- Baek, H., J. Ahn, and Y. Choi, "Helpfulness of online consumer reviews : readers' objectives and review cues", International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol.17, No.2(2012-2013), pp.99-126.
- Cao, Q., W. Duan, and Q. Gan, "Exploring determinants of voting for the 'helpfulness' of online user reviews : A text mining approach", Decision Support Systems, Vol.50, No.2(2011), pp.511-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2010.11.009
- Chevalier, J. A. and D. Mayzlin, "The effect of word of mouth on sales : online book reviews", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.43, No.3(2006), pp.345-354. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.43.3.345
- Chevalier, J. A. and A. Goolsbee, "Measuring prices and price competition online : Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble. com", Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Vol.1, No.2(2003), pp.203-222. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024634613982
- Clemons, E., G. Gao, and L. Hitt, "When online reviews meet hyperdifferentiation : A study of the craft beer industry", Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.23, No.2(2006), pp.149-171. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222230207
- Chung, W. and T.-L. Tseng, "Discovering business intelligence from online product reviews : A rule-induction framework", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.39, No.15(1, 2012), pp.11870-11879. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.02.059
- Duan, W., B. Gu, and A. B. Whinston, "The dynamics of online word-of-mouth and product sales : an empirical investigation of the movie industry", Journal of Retailing, Vol.84, No.2(2008), pp.233-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2008.04.005
- Forman, C., A. Ghose, and B. Wiesenfeld, "Examining the relationship between reviews and sales : the role of reviewer identity disclosure in electronic markets", Information Systems Research, Vol.19, No. 3(2008), pp.291-313. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1080.0193
- Ghose, A. and P. G. Ipeirotis, "Estimating the helpfulness and economic impact of product reviews : Mining text and reviewer characteristics", IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol.23, No.10(2011), pp.1498-1512. https://doi.org/10.1109/TKDE.2010.188
- Ghose A. and A. Sundararajan, "Evaluating pricing strategy using e-commerce data : Evidence and estimation challenges," Statistical Science, Vol.21, No.2(2006), pp. 131-142. https://doi.org/10.1214/088342306000000187
- Huang, P., N. H. Lurie, and S. Mitra, "Searching for experience on the Web : An empirical examination of consumer behavior for search and experience goods", Journal of Marketing, Vol.73, No.2(2009), pp.55-69. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.73.2.55
- Jiang, Z. and I. Benbasat, "Investigating the influence of the functional mechanisms of online product presentations", Information Systems Research, Vol.18, No.4(2007), pp.221-244.
- Khashei, M. and M. Bijari, "An artificial neural network(p, d, q) model for time series forecasting", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.37, No.1(2010), pp.479-489. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2009.05.044
- Leahy, P., G. Kiely, and G. Corcoran, "Structural optimisation and input selection of an artificial neural network for river level prediction", Journal of Hydrology, Vol.355 (2008), pp.192-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2008.03.017
- Liu, Y., "Word of mouth for movies : Its dynamics and impact on box office revenue", Journal of Marketing, Vol.70, No. 3(2006), pp.74-89. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.70.3.74
- Min, H.-J. and J. C. Park, "Identifying helpful reviews based on customer's mentions about experiences", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.39(2012), pp.11830-11838. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.01.116
- Mudambi, S. M. and D. Schuff, "What makes a helpful online review? A study of customer reviews on Amazon.com", MIS Quarterly, Vol.34, No.1(2010), pp.185-200. https://doi.org/10.2307/20721420
- Pan, Y. and, J. Q. Zhang, "Born Unequal : A Study of the Helpfulness of User-Generated Product Reviews", Journal of Retailing, Vol.87, No.4(2011), pp.598-612. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2011.05.002
- Park, D. H., J. Lee, and I. Han, "The effect of on-line consumer reviews on consumer purchasing intention : The moderating role of involvement", International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol.11, No.4(2007), pp.125-148. https://doi.org/10.2753/JEC1086-4415110405
- Pavlou, P., H. Liang, and Y. Xue, "Uncertainty and mitigating uncertainty in online exchange relationships : A principalagent perspective", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 31, No.1(2007), pp.105-131. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148783
- Reinstein, D. and C. M. Snyder, "The influence of expert reviews on consumer demand for experience goods : a case study of movie critics", Journal of Industrial Economics, Vol.53, No.1(2005), pp. 27-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-1821.2005.00244.x
- Weathers, D., S. Sharma, and S. L. Wood, "Effects of online communication practices on consumer perceptions of performance uncertainty for search and experience goods", Journal of Retailing, Vol.83, No.4(2007), pp.393-401. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2007.03.009
- West, D., S. Dellana, and J. Qian, "Neural network ensemble strategies for financial decision applications", Computers and Operations Research, Vol.32(2005), pp.2543-2559. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2004.03.017
- Yoon, Y., T. Guimaraes, and G. Swales, "Integrating artificial neural networks with rule-based expert systems", Decision Support Systems, Vol.11(1994), pp.497-507. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-9236(94)90021-3
- Yuen, C. W. M., W. K. Wong, S. Q. Qian, L. K. Chan, and E. H. K. Fung, "A hybrid model using genetic algorithm and neural network for classifying garment defects", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.36, No.2(2009), pp.2037-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2007.12.009
- Zhang, R. and T. Tran, "Helpful or unhelpful : a linear approach for ranking product reviews", Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Vol.11, No.3(2010), pp. 220-230.
- Zhang, Z., "Weighing stars : Aggregating online product reviews for intelligent ecommerce applications", IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol.23(2008), pp.42-49.