- Volume 17 Issue 2
Interdisciplinary Cooperation between Engineering Education and Science and Technology Studies (STS)
공학교육과 과학기술학(STS)의 학제적 협력 방안 탐색
- Han, Kyong-Hee (Engineering Education Innovation Center, Yonsei University)
- 한경희 (연세대학교 공학교육혁신센터)
- Received : 2013.11.21
- Accepted : 2014.02.11
- Published : 2014.03.31
This study reviews recently developed perspectives within Science and Technology Studies (STS) and engineering education including engineering ethics and engineering design, focusing on defining why interdisciplinary collaboration between those two areas is required and how it can be realized. The disconnection between those areas is closely related to the chronic diseases that has brought the mono-disciplinary, segmented educational system of 20th century: fragmented perception of reality and gradual loss of academic influence. This study consists of two sections: the first section reviews new movements among STS, engineering ethics and engineering design; the second section analyses how their combination is developing and what significance it represents. Recently, some scholars attach more importance to scalable scholarship of STS, that is, strategic expansion of the range of STS. This kind of attempts is gradually producing satisfactory results as it is combined with innovative efforts arising from the field of engineering education. This study emphasizes that, when STS and engineering education are combined and interact more with each other, it will broaden our prospects about engineering and society; it will, particularly, contribute to enhance our engineering education.
- Poel, I. and Goldberg, D. E.(eds.) (2010). Philosophy and Engineering: An Emerging Agenda. Springer.
- Rantanen, K. and Domb, E.(2007). 알기 쉬운 트리즈: 창의 적 문제해결이론. 김병재. 박성균 역. 도서출판 인터비젼.
- Reynolds, T. S.(eds.).(1991). The Engineer in America: A Historical Anthology from Technology and Culture. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press.
- Russell, S.(1986). The Social Construction of Artefacts: a response to Pinch and Bijker. Social Studies of Science, 16. London: SAGE.
- Vaughan, D.(1996). The Challenger Launch Decision: Risky Technology, Culture, and Deviance at NASA. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press.
- Vesilind, P. Aarne.(1995). Evolution of the American Society of Civil Engineers Code of Ethics. Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, 121: 4-10. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1052-3928(1995)121:1(4)
- Vincenti, W. G.(1990). What Engineers Know and How They Know It: Analytical Studies from Aeronautical History. Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkis University Press.
- Whalley, P.(1991). Negotiating the Boundaries of Engineering: Professionals, managers, and manual work, Research in the Sociology of Organizations 8: 191-215.
- Williams, R. & Edge, D.(1991). "The Social Shaping of Technology: a review of UK research concepts, findings, programmes, and centers." Edinburgh PICT Working Papers.
- Woolgar, S.(2004). What happened to Provocation in Science and Technology Studies?. History and Technology, 20(4): 339-349. https://doi.org/10.1080/0734151042000304321
- 송성수(2012). 통섭교육으로서 공학소양교육의 위상과 과제, 공학교육연구, 15(1): 18-25.
- 川田忠樹(2004). 근대 현수교의 역사. 박수영. 이명재. 양민수 역. 도서출판 과학기술.
- 한경희(2008). 공학학의 등장과 그 의미, 발전방향에 대한 탐색. 담론201, 11(1): 99-131.
- 홍성욱(1999). 생산력과 문화로서의 과학기술, 문학과 지성사.
- Bruno Latour(2010). 인간, 사물, 동맹, 이음.
- Coeckelbergh, M.(2006). Regulation or Responsibility? Autonomy, Moral Imagination, and Engineering, Science, Technology, & Human Values 31(3): 237-260. https://doi.org/10.1177/0162243905285839
- Downey, Gary.(2009). What is Engineering Studies For? Dominant Practices and Scalable Scholarship. Engineering Studies 1(1): 55-76. https://doi.org/10.1080/19378620902786499
- Cooke, Morris Llewellyn.(1922). Ethics and the Engineering Profession. Annals of the Association for Political and Social Science 101: 68-72. https://doi.org/10.1177/000271622210100110
- Downey, Gary.(2010). What is Global Engineering Education For?. 공학교육, 17(2): 16-18.
- Florman, C. S.(1987). The Civilized Engineer. St. Martin's Press.
- Herkert, Joseph R.(2001). Future Directions in Engineering Ethics Research: Microethics, Macroethics and the Role of Professional Societies. Science and Engineering Ethics, 7: 403-414. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-001-0062-2
- Jasanoff, S., Markle, G. E., Petersen, J. C. & Pinch, T. (1995). Handbook of Science and Technology Studies. Sage Publications.
- Johnson, D. G. & Wetmore, J. M.(2004). Engineering Ethics: Integrating STS and Practical Ethics. Annual Meeting of 4S. August.
- Kline, R.(1995). Construing Technology as Applied Science: Public Rhetoric of Scientists and Engineers in the United States, 1880-1945. ISIS, 86: 194-221. https://doi.org/10.1086/357153
- Kranakis, E.(1997). Constructing a Bridge: An Exploration of Engineering Culture, Design, and Research in Ninteenth Century France and America. The MIT Press.
- Law, John.(2004). Engineering Naturecultures: A Note from STS. http://www.lans.ac.uk/fass/sociology/papers/law-enacting-naturecultures.pdf.
- Lynch, W. T. & Kline, R.(2000). Engineering Practice and Engineering Ethics. Science, Technology, & Human Values, 25(2): 195-225. https://doi.org/10.1177/016224390002500203
- Martin, Mike and Roland Schinzinger.(1983). Ethics in Engineering. New York: McGraw-Hill. 3rd ed., 1996.
- Mehlik, M. M. and Gorman, M. E.(2006). A Framework for Strategic Network Design Assessment, Decision Making, and Moral Imagination. Science, Technology, & Human Values, 31(3): 289-308. https://doi.org/10.1177/0162243905285841
- Mitcham, Carl.(2009). A Historio-ethical Perspective on Engineering Education: from Use and Convenience to Policy Engagement. Engineering Studies, 1(1): 35-54. https://doi.org/10.1080/19378620902725166
- Nam Pyo Suh.(2002). 공리적 설계(I). 차성운. 박경진 역. 동 명사.
- National Academy of Engineering(2005). Educating the Engineer of 2020: Adapting Engineering Education to the New Century [국역: 주우석 외 옮김, 2020 엔지니어교육: 미래 공학교육에 대한 비전, 시그마프레스, 2009].
- Pinch, T. F. and Bijker, W. E.(1987). The Social Construction of Facts and Artifacts: Or How the Sociology of Science and the Sociology of Technology Might Benefit Each Other. W. E. Bijker and T. P. Hughes and T. F. Pinch(ed). The Social Construction of Technological Systems. The MIT Press.
- Poel, I. & Verbeek, P.(2006). Ethics and Engineering Design. Science, Technology, & Human Values, 31(3): 223-236. https://doi.org/10.1177/0162243905285838