- Volume 17 Issue 3
In distance education, use of proper software tools can greatly enhance student's attention and learning efficiency. In such software tools, offering diverse multimedia information is one of the most critical factors. However, integration and synchronization of the various media types has been relatively difficult parts of implementation. This paper proposes a prototype system that uses a metafile and event handling mechanism for the uniform treatment of various media types. This event-level integration and synchronization of multimedia makes the implementation relatively simple. With this approach, instructor's behaviors are automatically recorded, and the instructors can freely choose and show any type of multimedia contents while lecturing. Current commercial or non-commercial lecture management systems could incorporate this approach, so that the distance education market could be expanded with richer multimedia contents.
- J. Rosbottom, J. Crellin, and D. Fysh(2000). "A Generic Model for On-line Learning," ACM SIGCSE Bulletin, vol. 32, issue 3, pp.108-111. https://doi.org/10.1145/353519.343131
- L. Neal and D. Miller(2005). "The Basics of E-learning: an Excerpt from Handbook of Human Factors in Web Design," ACM eLearn Magn, vol. 2005, issue 8, p.2.
- T. Okamoto et al.(2000). "Towards Intelligent Media-oriented Distance Learning and Education Environments," 8th IEEE Conf. Computers in Education ICCE 2000, pp.21-24.
- A.W. Bates(2005). Technology, E-learning, and Distance Education, London U.K.: Routledge.
- A.W. Bate(2008). "Transforming Distance Education through New Technologies," in The International Handbook of Distance Education, T. Evans, M. Haughey, and D. Murphy, Ed. Bingley, UK: Emerald Press, pp.217-235.
- Microsoft Corporation(1999), Inside Windows Media, Que Publishing.
- D.P. Anderson, G. Homsy(1991). "A Continuous Media I/O Server and Its Synchronization Mechanism," IEEE Computer, vol. 24, no. 10, pp.51-57. https://doi.org/10.1109/2.97251
- W. Jou, et al.(2002). "Combining Hybrid Media Tools for Web-based Education," LNCS, vol. 2532, pp.540-547.
- Realtimetech Corporation, "MAXMEDIA Product Description," Available: http://maxmedia21.com.
- Xinics Corporation, "eStream Product Description," Available: heep://xinics.com.
- W3C, "Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language (SMIL 3.0)," Available: http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/RECSMIL3-20081201.
- J.V. Ossenburggen et al.(2001). "Towards Second and Third Generation Web-based Multimedia," Proc. 10th International World Wide Web Conf., pp.479-488.
- T.J. Bond, and M. Walpole(2006). "Streaming Audio with Synchronized Transcripts Utilizing SMIL," Library Hi Tech, vol. 23, no. 3, pp.452-462.
- M. Milrad et al.(2005). "Implementing an Educational Digital Video Library Using MPEG-4, SMIL, and Web Technologies," Educational Technology and Society, vol. 8, no. 4, pp.120-127.