- Volume 17 Issue 3
Critical Factors for Adoption of PSM Program of Korea
국내 PSM 프로그램 도입의 성공요인에 관한 연구
- Shin, Pan-Seok (Graduate School of Smart City Science Management, Hongik University) ;
- Lee, Myung-Moo (Graduate School of Smart City Science Management, Hongik University) ;
- Kim, Yun-Ho (Department of International Management, Woosong University)
- Received : 2014.03.03
- Accepted : 2014.05.22
- Published : 2014.05.31
Quality assurance in high level education is one of the most important problems in Korea, and around the world. Many studies have examined means of assuring the quality of education, mostly focusing on what type of graduate we should launch into the real world. However, it has been realized only in technical fields, such as Engineering, Medicine, etc. Here, we discuss the problems of Korean high level education in scientific fields, and present some answers from American innovation policies. The USA has changed the idea about how to innovate, and in recent years has developed the Professional Science Master's(PSM) degree, which is now awarded by over 100 American universities. PSM programs have produced graduates who can innovate in scientific fields, e.g., in biology, environmental science, and statistics. The degree is highly praised by the Council On Competitiveness, which consists of CEOs of major corporations, university presidents, and heads of labor organizations. The PSM seems to meet their expectations. Interestingly, many research universities have established PSM programs. We examined the reasons why many American universities have accepted the PSM despite their daily duties for research and doctoral education. Finally, we discuss the possibility that programs such as the PSM can succeed in Korean universities.
PSM;Professional Science Master's;Korea;Improvement
Supported by : 연구개발특구진흥재단
- 교육과학기술부 국제과학비즈니스벨트기획단(2012), 과학-비즈니스 융합 전문가(PSM) 양성 추진계획(안).
- King, D.(2012), Developing Professional Science Master's Degree Programs, PSM Pre-Conference Workshop, Council of Graduate Schools Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
Rosenbloom, J.(2010), A Master's for Science Professionals Sweeps U.S. Schools, the New York Times, December 26th.
- Takai Toshitsugu(2006), "MOT, PSM and Agenda of Knowledge Management : Innovation, Paradox of Cluster, Storytelling", Office automation, 26(4), 52-63.
- 鈴木市郎․ 岡崎慎司․ 小泉淳一(2008), "理系大学院における実務者教育 : 米国Professional Science Master's (PSM)と横浜国立大学大学院工学府PEDプログラム", 生物工学 86(3), 生物工学学会 128-130.
- 松下博宣(2008), Professional Science Master 急増中の米国から見るニッポンMOT http://blog.goo.ne.jp/humanservice/e/327925d32f86977dd0f7edc42b41d613
- CGS http://www.cgsnet.org/ [접속일 : 2013-11-25]
- NPSMA http://www.npsma.org/ [접속일 : 2013-11-25]
- PSM http://www.sciencemasters.com/ [접속일 : 2013-11]