- Volume 17 Issue 6
Various Perspectives on the Concept of Failure and its Implication in Engineering Education
실패에 관한 다양한 관점과 공학교육에서의 함의
- Han, Kyonghee (Engineering Education Innovation Center, Yonsei University) ;
- Yun, Ilgu (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Lee, Kangtaek (Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Taeyeon (Department of Architectural Engineering, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2014.08.22
- Accepted : 2014.11.05
- Published : 2014.11.27
Failure is an important part of engineering practice. Engineers utilize all of their competences and resources in order for their products or processes to meet the initial intention and purpose, and not to fail. However, the technological products sometimes end up with failure. The failure, in many cases, is related to non-technological factors or systems, not just limited to technological factors. Moreover, the evaluation of failure is performed by a variety of agents, including consumers, civic groups, government as well as professional groups. Thus, this study raises an issue that the existing concept of failure, which focuses on the operation of function, is not sufficient enough to properly cover the success or failure of technology required by the modern society. In the recent trends of engineering, new concepts and methods have been developed by expanding the traditional concept or introducing a new perspective of failure, so that engineering failure can be better understood in the mutual relationship between technology and society. This research attempts to suggest a methodology of how the failure of engineering can be utilized and properly combined in the major education, design education and engineering ethics education. Also, it aims to contribute to the quality improvement of engineering education to train engineers who can lead the society with responsibility as well as professional competence.
Engineering Education;Failure;Life Cycle Assessment;Integrated Design Process;Engineering Ethics
- 강윤재(2012). 원전사고와 위험커뮤니케이션, 전문성의 정치. 공학교육연구, 15(1): 35-44.
- 김영욱(2008). 위험, 위기 그리고 커뮤니케이션. 이화여자대학교출판부.
- 김정태.김주현.정인애.하재웅.한재윤(2012). 인간 중심의 기술 적정기술과의 만남. 에이지21.
- 미래창조과학부(2013). 국가연구개발제도 개선방안.
- 배정익.신재원.권오경(2006). 설계 관리 모델 개발을 위한 프로세스 개선 방향 제시. 한국건설관리학회논문집. 7(6): 90-98.
- 연합뉴스(2014). 57억 들인 4대강 로봇물고기 개발목표 미달 불량품. 2014년 7월 30일.
- 이미홍(1998). LCA (Life Cycle Assessment)의 소개와 사례. 녹색소비자연대 주최 "쓰레기 감량화 촉진"을 위한 제 1회 연구세미나 발표자료 4월.
- 이장규.홍성욱(2006). 공학기술과 사회. 지호.
- 한경희(2014). 공학교육과 과학기술학(STS)의 학제적 협력 방 안 탐색. 공학교육연구, 17(2): 50-58.
- 한경희.허준행.윤일구.이강택.강호정(2012). 공학 분야의 윤리 적 문제해결방법: 매트릭스 가이드. 공학교육연구. 15(1): 61-71.
- 허탁(1996). LCA 개념 및 국내외 현황. 건국대학교 산업기술연구소.
- Brown, T.(2009). Change by Design: How Design Thinking can Transform Organizations and Inspire Innovation. New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers. 고성연 역(2010). 디자 인에 집중하라. 김영사.
- Chillarege, R.(1996). What is Software Failure?. IEEE Transactions on Reliability 45(3).
- Chiles, J. R.(2001). Inviting Disasters: Lessons from the Edge of Technology. Collins Business.
- Coombs, T.(1999). Ongoing Crisis Communication: Planning, Managing, and Responding. Sage Publication. 이현우 역 (2003). 위기관리 커뮤니케이션. 커뮤니케이션북스.
- Doing, P. A.(2012). Appling Ethnographic Insight to Engineering Ethics: Epistemography and Accountability in the Space Shuttle Challenger Failure and the Macondo Well Blowout. Engineering Studies 4(3): 233-248. https://doi.org/10.1080/19378629.2012.686501
- Downey, G. L.(2005). Keynote Address: Are Engineers Losing Control of Technology?: From Problem Solving to Problem Definition and Solution in Engineering Education. Chemical Engineering Research and Design 83(8): 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1205/cherd.04131
- Downey, G. L.(2009). What is Engineering Ethics For?: Dominant Practices and Scalable Scholarship. Engineering Ethics 1(1): 55-76.
- Frate, L. D.(2013). Failure of Engineering Artifacts: A Life Cycle Approach. Journal of Science and Engineering Ethics 19(3):913-944. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-012-9360-0
- IEC(1990). International Electrotechnical Vocabulary. chapter 191-dependability and quality of service. Switzerland: International Electrotechnical Commission.
- IEEE(2005). IEEE Standard for Application and Management of the Systems Engineering Process. New York, NY: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- Martin, R.(2009). The Design of Business. Harvard Business Press. 이건식 역(2010). 디자인씽킹. 엘도라도.
- Petroski, H.(2004). Pushing the Limits. Vintage Books. 이은선 역(2005). 기술의 한계를 넘어. 생각의 나무.
- Poel, I. V. and Royakkers, L.(2011). Ethics, Technology, and Engineering. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Pool, R.(1997). Beyond Engineering: How Society Shapes Technology. Oxford University Press.
- Renn, O.(2008). Risk Governance: Coping with Uncertainty in a Complex World. Earthscan.
- Smith, C. E. ed.(2007). Design for the Other 90%, Editions Assouline. 허성용.허영란.홍성욱 역(2010). 소외된 90%를 위한 디자인. 에딧더월도. 한밭대학교 적정기술연구소.
- Starkl, M., Brunner, N., and Stenstrom, T.(2013). Why Do Water and Sanitation Systems for the Poor Still Fail? Policy Analysis in Economically Advanced Developing Countries. Environmental Science & Technology 47: 6101-6110.
- Sung, C., Sheu, S., Hsu, T., and Chen, Y.(2011). Extended Optimal Replacement Policy for a two-unit System with Failure Rate Interaction and External Shocks. International Journal of Systems Science 44(5): 877-888.
- The American Institute of Architects(2007). Integrated Project Delivery: A Guide.
- Unger, S.(1982). Controlling Technology. Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Vaughan, D.(1996). The Challenger Launch Decision. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press.
- Whitbeck, W.(1998). Ethics in Engineering Practice and Research. Cambridge University Press.
- Yellman, T. W.(1999). Failures and Related Topics. IEEE Transactions on Reliability 48(1): 6-8. https://doi.org/10.1109/TR.1999.765921