- Volume 51 Issue 3
It is well known that the area U of the triangle formed by three tangents to a parabola X is half of the area T of the triangle formed by joining their points of contact. In this article, we study some properties of U and T for strictly convex plane curves. As a result, we establish a characterization for parabolas.
triangle;area;parabola;strictly convex curve;plane curvature
- D.-S. Kim and Y. H. Kim, On the Archimedean characterization of parabolas, Bull. Korean Math. Soc. 50 (2013), no. 6, 2103-2114. https://doi.org/10.4134/BKMS.2013.50.6.2103
- D.-S. Kim, Y. H. Kim, and J. H. Park, Some characterizations of parabolas, Kyungpook Math. J. 53 (2013), no. 1, 99-104. https://doi.org/10.5666/KMJ.2013.53.1.99
- J. Krawczyk, On areas associated with a curve, Zesz. Nauk. Uniw. Opol. Mat. 29 (1995), 97-101.
- B. Richmond and T. Richmond, How to recognize a parabola, Amer. Math. Monthly 116 (2009), no. 10, 910-922. https://doi.org/10.4169/000298909X477023
- S. Stein, Archimedes. What did he do besides cry Eureka?, Mathematical Association of America, Washington, DC, 1999.
- W. A. Day, Inequalities for areas associated with conics, Amer. Math. Monthly 98 (1991), no. 1, 36-39. https://doi.org/10.2307/2324034
- M. P. do Carmo, Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1976.
- D.-S. Kim and S. H. Kang, A characterization of conic sections, Honam Math. J. 33 (2011), no. 3, 335-340. https://doi.org/10.5831/HMJ.2011.33.3.335
- D.-S. Kim and Y. H. Kim, Some characterizations of spheres and elliptic paraboloids, Linear Algebra Appl. 437 (2012), no. 1, 113-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.laa.2012.02.013
- D.-S. Kim and Y. H. Kim, Some characterizations of spheres and elliptic paraboloids II, Linear Algebra Appl. 438 (2013), no. 3, 1356-1364. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.laa.2012.08.024
- ON TRIANGLES ASSOCIATED WITH A CURVE vol.52, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4134/BKMS.2015.52.3.925
- Area properties associated with a convex plane curve vol.24, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1515/gmj-2016-0027
- Center of Gravity and a Characterization of Parabolas vol.55, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5666/KMJ.2015.55.2.473
- Areas associated with a Strictly Locally Convex Curve vol.56, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5666/KMJ.2016.56.2.583
- AREA OF TRIANGLES ASSOCIATED WITH A STRICTLY LOCALLY CONVEX CURVE vol.37, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5831/HMJ.2015.37.1.41
- CENTROID OF TRIANGLES ASSOCIATED WITH A CURVE vol.52, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4134/BKMS.2015.52.2.571