- Volume 43 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical Composition and Antioxidative Activities of Rhynchosia nulubilis according to Roasting Temperature
로스팅 온도에 따른 쥐눈이콩(Rhynchosia nulubilis)의 성분 분석 및 항산화 활성
- Lee, Kyung-Hee (Dept. of Alternative medicine, Kyonggi University) ;
- Kim, Min-Jeong (Dept. of Alternative medicine, Kyonggi University) ;
- Kim, Ae-Jung (Dept. of Alternative medicine, Kyonggi University)
- Received : 2014.01.29
- Accepted : 2014.03.17
- Published : 2014.05.31
This study was conducted to determine the optimal roasting temperature (90, 100, 110, and 120; fixed time of 20 minutes) of small black coffee beans under various roasting conditions. The roasting temperature range and fixed time were the same as our preceding study. After roasting, the general composition, isoflavone contents, and antioxidant activities were measured. As the results of the proximate composition analysis of small black beans according to roasting conditions, only moisture decreased among them, whereas other general compositions were not affected. The DPPH and ABTS radical scavenging activities were the highest at a roasting temperature of
- Kim HB. 2011. A study on the improvement of the distribution structure in the Korean beverage market. MS Thesis. Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea. p 6-17.
- Brien DL, Adams J. 2012. Coffee: a cultural and media focussed approach. M/C J 15: 24-28.
- Jeon HJ. 2013. Food buzzword this year is 'premium' and 'convenience'. Economic Review. http://www.econovill.com/archives/59392 (accessed Mar 2014).
- Jin YH, Park YB. 2006. The present condition and strategy of the coffee market in Korea foodservice industry. Proceedings of the Culinary Society of Korean Academy Conference. Las Vegas, NV, USA. p 11-28.
- Pordy WT. 1994. Low fat, low cholesterol, and low calorie dairy creamer. USA Patent 5,366,751.
- Narain C, Paterson A, Piggott JR, Dhawan M, Reid E. 2004. Whitening and sweetening influences on filter coffee preferences. Br J Food 106: 465-478. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070700410539770
- Kiel DP, Felson DT, Hannan MT, Anderson JJ, Wilson PW. 1990. Caffeine and the risk of hip fracture: the Framingham study. Am J Epidemiol 132: 675-684.
- Yeh JK, Aloia JF, Semla HM, Chen SY. 1986. Influence of injected caffeine on the metabolism of calcium and the retention and excretion of sodium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc and copper in rats. J Nutr 116: 273-280.
- Kim SH, Choi BY. 2001. Ca and P balance in Korean female adolescents. Korean J Nutr 34: 433-439.
- Bae EA, Kwon TW, Moon GS. 1997. Isoflavone contents and antioxidative effects of soybeans, soybean curd and their by-products. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 371-375.
- Kang SA, Jang KH, Cho Y, Hong K, Suh JH, Choue R. 2003. Effects of artificial stomach fluid and digestive enzymes on the aglycon isoflavone contents of soybean and black bean (Rhynchosia molubilis: Yak-Kong). Korean J Nutr 36: 32-39.
- Bae EA, Moon GS. 1997. A study of the antioxidative activities of Korean soybeans. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 203-208.
- Kennedy AR. 1995. The evidence for soybean products as cancer preventive agents. J Nutr 125: 733-743.
- Kwoon HJ. 1999. Bioactive compounds of soybean and their activity in angiogenesis regulation. Korean Soybean Digest 16: 63-68.
- Sirtori CR. 2001. Risks and benefits of soy phytoestrogens in cardiovascular diseases, cancer, climacteric symptoms and osteoporosis. Drug Saf 24: 665-682. https://doi.org/10.2165/00002018-200124090-00003
- Lee YB, Lee HJ, Kim CH, Lee SB, Sohn HS. 2005. Soy isoflavones and soyasaponins: characteristics and physiological functions. Agric Chem Biotechnol 48: 49-57.
- Suh CS, Chun JK. 1981. Relationships among the roasting condition, color and extractable solid content of roasted barley. Korean J Food Sci Technol 13: 334-339.
- Yoon SK, Kim WJ. 1989. Effects of roasting conditions on quality and yield of barley tea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 21: 575-582.
- Kim SD, Do JH, Oh HI. 1981. Antioxidant activity of panax ginseng browning products. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 24: 161-166.
- Jang SS. 2012. Preparation and evaluation of mung bean Dasik using the roasted mung bean. MS Thesis. Kyonggi University, Seoul, Korea.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Asociation of Official Analytical Chemicals, Washington, DC, USA. p 8-35.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Pellegrin N, Roberta R, Min Y, Catherine RE. 1998. Screening of dietary carotenoids and carotenoid-rich fruit extracts for antioxidant activities applying 2,2'-azinobis(3-ethylene-benzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) radical cation decolorization assay. Method Enzymol 299: 379-389.
- Folin O, Denis W. 1912. On phosphotungstic-phosphomolybdic compounds as color reagents. J Biol Chem 12: 239-243.
- Davis WB. 1947. Determination of flavanones in citrus fruits. Anal Chem 19: 476-478. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60007a016
- Lee MJ, Kim SE, Kim JH, Lee SW, Yeum DM. 2013. A study of coffee bean characteristics and coffee flavors in relation to roasting. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 255-261. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.2.255
- Smith AK, Circle SJ. 1978. Soybean: chemistry and technology. Avi Publishing Company, Westport, CT, USA. Vol 1, p 61.
- Grun IU, Adhikari K, Li C, Li Y, Lin B, Zhang J, Fernando LN. 2001. Changes in the profile of genistein, daidzein, and their conjugates during thermal processing of tofu. J Agric Food Chem 49: 2839-2843. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010028+
- Hendrich S, Murphy PA. 2001. Isoflavones: source and metabolism. In Handbook of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods. Wildman REC, ed. CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, FL, USA. p 55-75.
- Jackson CJC, Dini JP, Lavandier C, Rupasinghe HPV, Faulkner H, Poysa V, Buzzell D, DeGrandis S. 2002. Effects of processing on the content and composition of isoflavones during manufacturing of soy beverage and tofu. Process Biochem 37: 1117-1123. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-9592(01)00323-5
- Wang H, Murphy PA. 1994. Isoflavone composition of American and Japanese soybeans in Iowa: effects of variety, crop year, and location. J Agric Food Chem 42: 1674-1677. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00044a017
- Hoeck JA, Fehr WR, Murphy PA, Welke GA. 2000. Influence of genotype and environment on isoflavone contents of soybean. Crop Sci 40: 48-51. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2000.40148x
- Chien JT, Hsieh HC, Kao TH, Chen BH. 2004. Kinetic model for studying the conversion and degradation of isoflavones during heating. Food Chem 91: 425-434.
- Floegel A, Kim DO, Chung SJ, Koo SI, Chun OK. 2011. Comparison of ABTS/DPPH assays to measure antioxidant capacity in popular antioxidant-rich US foods. J Food Compos Anal 24: 1043-1048. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2011.01.008
- Dudonne S, Vitrac X, Coutiere P, Woillez M, Merillon JM. 2009. Comparative study of antioxidant properties and total phenolic content of 30 plant extracts of industrial interest using DPPH, ABTS, FRAP, SOD, and ORAC assays. J Agric Food Chem 57: 1768-1774. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf803011r
- Rodriguez-Amaya DB. 2010. Quantitative analysis, in vitro assessment of bioavailability and antioxidant activity of food carotenoids-a review. J Food Compos Anal 23: 726-740. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2010.03.008
- Cho SH, Choi YJ, Rho CW, Choi CY, Kim DS, Cho SH. 2008. Reactive oxygen species and cytotoxicity of bamboo (Phyllostachys pubescens) sap. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 105-110.
- Sanchez-Moreno C. 2002. Review: methods used to evaluate the free radical scavenging activity in foods and biological systems. Food Sci Technol Int 8: 121-137. https://doi.org/10.1177/1082013202008003770
- Lee YM, Bae JH, Jung HY, Kim JH, Park DS. 2011. Antioxidant activity in water and methanol extracts from Korean edible wild plants. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 29-36. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.1.029
- Do JH, Kim KH, Jang JG, Yang JW, Lee KS. 1989. Changes in color intensity and components during browning reaction of white ginseng water extract. Korean J Food Sci Technol 21: 480-485.
- Bae KM, Park SH, Jung KH, Kim MJ, Hong SH, Song YO, Lee H. 2010. Effects of roasting conditions on physicochemical properties and sensory properties of Liriopis tuber. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1503-1508. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1503
- Sa JH, Shin IC, Jeong KJ, Shim TH, Oh HS, Kim YJ, Cheung EH, Kim GG, Choi DS. 2003. Antioxidative activity and chemical characteristics from different organs of small black soybean (Yak-Kong) grown in the area of Jungsun. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 309-315.
- Kim SH, Kwon TW, Lee YS, Choung MG, Moon GS. 2005. A major antioxidative components and comparison of antioxidative activities in black soybean. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 73-77.
- Choi SY, Lim SH, Kim JS, Ha TY, Kim SR, Kang KS, Hwang IK. 2005. Evaluation of the estrogenic and antioxidant activity of some edible and medicinal plants. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 549-556.
- Middleton E. 1996. Biological properties of plant flavonoids: an overview. Pharm Biol 34: 344-348. https://doi.org/10.1076/phbi.34.5.344.13245
- Kusunoki T, Higashi H, Hosoi S, Hata D, Sugie K, Mayumi M, Mikawa H. 1992. Tyrosine phosphorylation and its possible role in superoxide production by human neutrophils stimulated with FMLP and IgG. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 183: 789-796. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-291X(92)90552-V
- Record IR, Dreosti IE, Mclnerney JK. 1995. The antioxidant activity of genistein in vitro. J Nutr Biochem 6: 481-485. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2863(95)00076-C
- Wei H, Wei L, Frenkel K, Bowen R, Barnes S. 1993. Inhibition of tumor promoter-induced hydrogen peroxide formation in vitro and in vivo by genistein. Nutr Cancer 20: 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635589309514265
- Wei H, Cai Q, Rahn RO. 1996. Inhibition of UV light- and Fenton reaction-induced oxidative DNA damage by the soybean isoflavone genistein. Carcinogenesis 17: 73-77. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/17.1.73
- Rice-Evans CA, Miller NJ, Paganga G. 1996. Structure-antioxidant activity relationships of flavonoids and phenolic acids. Free Radical Biol Med 20: 933-956. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(95)02227-9
- Barnes PJ. 1983. Progress in cereal chemistry and technology. Proceeding of 7th World Cereal and Bread Congress. Holas J, Kratochvil J, eds. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Manufacture and Quality Evaluation of Beverage with prepared with Roasted Seoritae vol.29, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.4.557
- Protein and Amino-acid Contents in Backtae, Seoritae, Huktae, and Seomoktae Soybeans with Different Cooking Methods vol.32, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.5.567
- Development of Optimization Mixture Tea prepared with Roasting Mulberry Leaf and Fruit vol.29, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.6.1040
- Bioactive compounds and antioxidant activities of sprout soybean fermented with Irpex lacteus mycelia vol.26, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-017-0231-y
- Effect of Germination and Roasting Treatment on the Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Properties of Black Soybean Flours vol.22, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13050/foodengprog.2018.22.1.75