- Volume 43 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Mulberry Powder on Antioxidant Activities and Quality Characteristics of Yogurt
오디분말을 첨가한 요구르트의 품질 및 항산화능에 미치는 영향
- Sung, Jung Min (Korean Food Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Hae Yeon (Dept. of Food Service Management and Nutrition, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2014.01.28
- Accepted : 2014.03.27
- Published : 2014.05.31
This study was conducted to investigate the effect of mulberry powder on the antioxidant activities and quality characteristics of yogurt. The samples were fermented with different amounts (0, 0.5, 1, and 3% to the yogurt quantity) of mulberry powder for 24 hr. The total phenol content, anthocyanin content, and DPPH radical scavenging activity of yogurt significantly increased with higher mulberry powder content. The pH decreased with higher mulberry powder content until 16 hr, whereas the treated groups showed higher pH levels than the control group after 20 hr. Acidities of the treated groups were higher than that of the control group upon addition of mulberry powder. Citric acid, succinic acid, and lactic acid contents of the treatment group were higher than that of the control until 16 hr, whereas the free organic acid content of the control group increased after 20 hr. The amount of lactic acid bacteria increased with higher mulberry powder content until 12 hr, whereas that of the treated group tended to decrease compared to the control group after 16 hr. Color values of mulberry yogurt were lower in terms of brightness and yellowness, whereas redness value was higher compared to the control. Mulberry yogurt groups showed higher sensory attributes than the control, except for 3% added yogurt. Consumer acceptability score of yogurt with 1% mulberry powder was ranked higher than those of other yogurts in terms of overall preference, sourness, color, flavor, and sweetness. We suggest that mulberry powder can be used to improve the quality characteristics, functionality, fermentation, and sensory evaluation of yogurt.
- Harte F, Luedecke L, Swanson B, Barbosa-Canovas GV. 2003. Low-fat set yogurt made from milk subjected to combinations of high hydrostatic pressure and thermal processing. J Dairy Sci 86: 1074-1082. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73690-X
- Kim DW, Yang DH, Kim S, Kim KS, Chung MG, Kang SM. 2009. Hypocholesterolemic effect of lyophilized, heat-killed Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Lactobacillus plantarum. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 37: 69-74.
- Im KS. 2003. Effect of fermented milk on human health. Korean J Food Nutr 16: 93-103.
- Hood SK, Zoitola EA. 2006. Effect of low pH on the ability of Lactobacillus acidophilus to survive and adhere to human intestinal cells. J Food Sci 53: 1514-1516.
- Shin YS, Lee KS, Lee JS, Lee CH. 1995. Preparation of yogurt added with Aloe vera and its quality characteristics. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 254-261.
- Lee SW, Kim HS, Lee IS. 2002. Preparation and quality characteristics of yogurt added with Saururus chinensis (Lour.) Bail. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 411-416. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.3.411
- Hong KH, Nam ES, Park SI. 2004. Preparation and characteristics of drinkable yoghurt added water extract of omija (Schzandra chinensis Baillon). Korean J Food & Nutr 17: 111-119.
- Sung YM, Cho JR, Oh NS, Kim DC, In MJ. 2005. Preparation and quality characteristics of curd yogurt added with chlorella. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 48: 60-64.
- Lee YJ, Kim SI, Han YS. 2008. Antioxidant activity and quality characteristics of yogurt added yuza (Citrus junoss Sieb ex Tanaka) extract. Korean J Food & Nutr 21: 135-142.
- Shin JH, Kim GM, Kang MJ, Yang SM, Sung NJ. 2010. Preparation and quality characteristics of yogurt with black garlic extracts. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 26: 307-313.
- Jeong CH, Joo OS, Shin KH. 2002. Chemical components and physiological activities of young mulberry (Morus alba) stem. Korean J Food Preserv 9: 228-233.
- Seed and Life Industry Division. 2011. Statistical data of agricultural industry. Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries, Seoul, Korea. p 50-55.
- Kim HB, Bang HS, Lee HW, Seuk YS, Sung GB. 1999. Chemical characteristics of mulberry syncarp. Korean J Seric Sci 41: 123-128.
- Kim TY, Kwon YB. 1996. A study on the antidiabetic effect of mulberry fruits. Korean J Seri Sci 38: 100-107.
- Kim SY, Park KJ, Lee WC. 1998. Antiinflammatory and antioxidative effects of Morus spp. fruit extract. Korean J Medicinal Corp Sci 6: 204-209.
- Kim HJ, Cha JY, Choi ML, Cho YS. 2000. Antioxidative activities by water-souble extracts of Morus alba and Cudracia tricuspidata. J Korean Soc Agric Chem Biotechnol 43: 148-152.
- Kwon HJ, Park CS. 2008. Biological activities of extracts from Omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon). Korean J Food Preserv 1: 587-592.
- Mok CK. 2005. Quality characteristics of instant tea prepared from spray-dried Omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon) extract/grape juice mixture. Food Eng Prog 9: 226-230.
- Jung GT, Ju OK, Choi DG. 2005. Quality characteristics and manufacture of mulberry wine. Korean J Food Preserv 12: 90-94.
- Kim HK, Bae HC, Nam MS. 2003. Fermentation properties of mulberry yogurt. Jour Agri Sci (Chungnam Nat'l Univ) 30: 66-75.
- Suh HJ, Lim YS, Kim JM, Lee H. 2006. Effect of mulberry extract on the growth of yogurt starter cultures. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 26: 144-147.
- Velioglu YS, Mazza G, Cao L, Oomah BD. 1998. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in selected fruits, vegetables, and grain products. J Agric Food Chem 46: 4113-4117. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9801973
- Jang KI, Lee JH, Kim KY, Jeong HS, Lee HB. 2006. Quality of stored grape (Vitis labruscana) treated with ethylene-absorbent and activated charcoal. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35: 1237-1244. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.9.1237
- Blios MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1190-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811190a0
- Sung JM, Lim JH, Park KJ, Jeong JW. 2008. Effects of semi-dried red pepper with a different seed ratio on the quality of kimchi. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 427-436.
- Sung JM, Kim OS, Ryu HS. 2011. Changes in enzyme activity and sensory characteristics of kochujang with different ratios of added deoduk (Codonopsis lanceolata) root powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 1150-1156. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.8.1150
- Cho JR, Kim JH, In MJ. 2007. Effect of garlic powder on preparation and quality characteristics of yogurt. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 50: 48-52.
- Jung HJ, Chu YR, Park H, Jeon IS, Kang YS. 2010. Influence of the addition of MAKA (Lepidium meyenii) hot water extract on the quality and antioxidant activity of yogurt. Korean J Food Culture 25: 334-341.
- Park JH, Choi JH, Hong SI, Jeong MC, Kim D. 2013. Changes in quality of mulberry depending on distribution and storage temperature. Korean J Food Preserv 20: 141-150. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.2.141
- Kim JK, Lee JS, Jeong YT, Bae IH. 2012. Development of yogurt with Sanmeoru (Vitis amurensis Ruprecht) wine as an additive. Korean J Dairy Sci Technol 30: 23-30.
- Kim JS. 2012. Quality characteristics of Sikhea with mulberry fruit. Korean J Culinary Res 18: 206-215.
- Kim SI, Ko SH, Lee YJ, Choi HY, Han YS. 2008. Antioxidant activity of yogurt supplemented with red ginseng extract. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 358-366.
- Lee JH, Hwang HJ. 2006. Quality characteristics of curd yogurt with Rubus coreanum Miquel juice. Korean J Culinary Res 12: 195-205.
- Kang BS, Kim JI, Moon SW. 2012. Quality characteristics of yogurt added with sansuyu extracts. Korean J Culinary Res 18: 180-190.
- Kim MS, Ahn ES, Shin DW. 1993. Physico-chemical properties of commercial yogurt in Korea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 25: 340-344.
- Chun SH, Lee SU, Shin YS, Lee KS, Ru IH. 2000. Preparation of yogurt from milk with purple sweet potato. Korean J Food & Nutr 13: 71-77.
- Madigan MT, Martinko JM, Parker J. 2003. Brock biology of microorganisms. 10th ed. Prentice Hall, New York, NY, USA. p 504-506.
- Lee JH, Woo KJ, Choi WS, Kim AJ, Kim MW. 2005. Quality characteristics of starch Oddi Dasik added with mulberry fruit Juice. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 21: 629-636.
- Hwang S, Jung E, Joo N. 2013. Processing optimization and quality characteristics of low-fat yogurt prepared with Roselle. Korean J Food Culture 28: 392-400. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2013.28.4.392
- Park SH. 2010. Quality characteristics and processing optimization of chocolate with addition of mulberry fruit. MS Thesis. Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea. p 70-75.
- Study on Anti-oxidative Activities and Beverage Preferences Relating to Fermented Lotus Root and Platycodon grandiflorum Extracts with Sugar through Lactic Acid Fermentation vol.25, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2015.2.25.1.183
- Effect of Omija (Schisandra chinensis Baillon) Addition Ratio on Quality Characteristics of Mulberry Extracts vol.44, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.7.1041
- Physicochemical Properties and Antioxidant Activities of Fermented Mulberry by Lactic Acid Bacteria vol.45, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.2.202
- Quality Characteristics of Sikhye added with Mulberry (Morus alba L.) Fruit Concentrate vol.26, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2016.2.26.1.44
- Preparation and characteristics of yogurt added with Korean rice wine lees powder vol.59, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2016.058
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activity of Yogurt Added with Acanthopanax Powder vol.47, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2015.47.6.765
- Nutritional Compositions and Physiological Activities of Chungbuk New Mulberry Cultivar 'Cheongsu' vol.29, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.1.019
- Substitution Effect of Enzymatically Hydrolyzed Purple Sweet Potato Powder on Skim Milk in Yogurt Preparation vol.58, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2015.049
- Quality Characteristics of Fermentation Gastrodia elata Blume by Saccharifying Methods vol.29, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.5.698
- Evaluation of quality characteristics in commercial yogurt vol.25, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2018.25.2.195
- Lactic fermentation enhances the antioxidant activity of gold kiwifruit vol.25, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2018.25.2.255
- Green tea powder supplementation enhances fermentation and antioxidant activity of set-type yogurt vol.27, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-018-0370-9
- Physicochemical properties of mulberry extract and silk protein added yogurt fermented with lactic acid bacteria isolated from vinegar and kimchi vol.61, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2018.003