- Volume 43 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Chestnut Inner Shell Powder on Antioxidant Activities and Quality Characteristics of Pork Patties
율피분말 첨가가 돈육 패티의 항산화 활성과 품질특성에 미치는 영향
- Joo, Shin Youn (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Daejin University) ;
- Choi, Hae Yeon (Dept. of Food Service Management and Nutrition, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2014.01.21
- Accepted : 2014.02.27
- Published : 2014.05.31
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of chestnut inner shell powder on antioxidant activities and quality characteristics of pork patties. Patties were prepared with different amounts of chestnut inner shell powder (0, 1, 3, and 5% of pork quantity). The total phenol contents and DPPH free radical scavenging activities of the patties significantly increased with increasing amount of chestnut inner shell powder. The moisture content and pH of row patties were not significantly different between the control group and treatment groups. The cooking loss rate significantly decreased with increasing chestnut inner shell powder amount. Reduction ratio of the diameter of experimental patties was lower than that of the control patties, although it was not significant. As the content of chestnut inner shell powder increased, L-value decreased while a-value increased in both row patties and cooked patties. However, b-value changed upon heating. The b-value of row patties also increased with increasing chestnut inner shell powder content, whereas the b-value of cooked patties decreased. The hardness, chewiness, gumminess, and cohesiveness of the control group were lower than those of the treatment group. The consumer acceptability score for patties with 1% chestnut inner shell powder was higher than that for patties in terms of overall preference, appearance, color, and texture. Further, overall preference, appearance, and color for patties with chestnut inner shell powder 3% were higher than those of the control group. We suggest that chestnut inner shell can be improve the quality characteristics and consumer acceptability of pork patties, as well as the development of health-oriented meat products.
- Lee MA, Han DJ, Choi JH, Choi YS, Kim HY, Choe JH, Jeong JY, Kim CJ. 2008. Effect of hot air dried Kimchi powder on the quality characteristics of pork patties. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 466-472.
- KCDC (Korea Centers for Disease Control). 2010. Korea Health Statistics 2009: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANESIV-3). Ministry of Health and Welfare, Cheongwon, Korea. p 142-144, 441-479.
- Cofrades S, Lopez-Lopez I, Solas MT, Bravo L, Jimenez-Colmenero F. 2008. Influence of different types and proportions of added edible seaweeds on characteristics of low-salt gel/emulsion meat systems. Meat Sci 79: 767-776. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.11.010
- Park JG, Her JH, Li SY, Cho SH, Youn SK. 2005. Study on the improvement of storage property and quality in the traditional seasoning beef containing medical herb extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 113-119. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.1.113
- Oh SH, Kim JH, Lee JW, Lee YS, Park KS, Kim JG, Lee HK, Byun MW. 2004. Effects of combined treatment of gamma irradiation and addition of rosemary extract powder on ready-to-eat hamburger steaks: I. microbiological quality and shelf-life. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 687-693. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.4.687
- Oh HK, Lim HS. 2011. Quality characteristics of the hamburger patties with sea tangle (Laminaria japonica) powder and/or cooked rice. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 31: 570-579. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.4.570
- Jeon MR, Choi SH. 2012. Quality characteristics of pork patties added with seaweed powder. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 32: 77-83. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.1.71
- Pak JI, Seo TS, Jang A. 2012. Effect of dried yam extracts on sausage quality during cold storage. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 32: 820-827. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.6.820
- Park KS, Choi YS, Kim HW, Song DH, Lee SY, Choi JH, Kim CJ. 2012. Effects of wheat fiber with breading on quality characteristics of pork loin cutlet. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 32: 504-511. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.4.504
- Lee SG. 2010. Effects of chestnut inner shell extract on 3T3-L1 preadipocyte differentiation. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology 24: 266-271.
- Oh SH, Kim YW, Kim MA. 2005. The antioxidant activities of three solvent (ether, butanol, water) extracts from chestnut inner shell in soybean oil. Korean J Soc Food Culture 20: 703-708.
- Yang MJ, Lim SJ, Ahn HS, Lim MA, Ahn RM. 1999. Inhibitory effects of chestnut bark extracts on tyrosinase activity and melanin biosynthesis. Kor J Env Hlth Soc 25: 37-43.
- Moon JS. 1999. A study of physicochemical properties of starch separated from chestnut inner shell waste. MS Thesis. Donhshin University, Naju, Korea.
- Jeong JW, Park KJ, Kim MH, Kim DS. 2006. Quality characteristics of Takju fermentation by addition of chestnut peel powder. Korean J Food Preserv 13: 329-336.
- Joo SY, Choi HY. 2012. Antioxidant activity and quality characteristics of cookies with chestnut inner shell. Korean J Food & Nutr 25: 224-232. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.2.224
- Lin JY, Tang CY. 2007. Determination of total phenolic and flavonoid contents in selected fruits and vegetables, as well as their stimulatory effects on mouse splenocyte proliferation. Food Chem 101: 140-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.01.014
- Lee YL, Huang GW, Liang ZC, Mau JL. 2007. Antioxidant properties of three extracts from Pleurotus citrinopileatus. LWT-Food Sci Technol 40: 823-833. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2006.04.002
- Lee YM, Lyu ES. 2008. Physico-chemical and sensory characteristics of Chungkukjang powder added hamburger patty. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 742-747.
- Shin MK. 1994. The science of green tea. Korean J Dietary Culture 9: 433-445.
- Oh SH, Kim YW, Kim MA. 2004. The antioxidant activities of acetone extracts of chestnut inner shell, pine needle and hop. Korean J Food Culture 19: 399-406.
- Park JS, Kim HS, Chin KB. 2012. The antioxidant acticity of Yacon (Polymnia sonchifoliaty) and its application to the pork patties as a natural antioxidant. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 32: 190-197. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.2.190
- Honikel KO, Kim CJ, Hamm R. 1986. Sarcomere shortening of prerigor muscles and its influence on drip loss. Meat Sci 16: 267-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90038-0
- Jeon BG, Park CK. 2000. A study on the production of chestnut powder in the inner shell (endo carp) of a chestnut from its treatment plant -study on the utilities of separated powder from chestnut inner shell-. J Kowrec 8: 111-120.
- Mittal GS, Usborne WR. 1985. Meat emulsion extender. Food Technol 39: 121-130.
- Jeon MR, Choi SH. 2011. Residual nitrite content and storage properties of pork patties added with Gardenia Fructus extract. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 31: 741-747. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.5.741
- Berry BW, Leddy KF. 1989. Effects of freezing rate, frozen storage temperature and storage time on tenderness values of beef patties. J Food Sci 54: 291-296. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb03064.x
- Kim YD, Choi OJ, Kim KJ, Kim KM, Hur CK, Cho IK. 2005. Component analysis of different parts of chestnut. Korean J Food Preserv 12: 156-160.
- Bourne MC. 1978. Texture profile analysis. Food Technol 32: 62-66.
- Moon YH, Kim YK, Koh CW, Hyon JS, Jung IC. 2001. Effect of aging period, cooking time and temperature on the textural and sensory characteristics of boiled pork loin. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 471-476.
- Choi YS, Choi JH, Han DJ, Kim HY, Lee MA, Jeong JY, Chung HJ, Kim CJ. 2010. Effects of replacing pork back fat with vegetable oils and rice bran fiber on the quality of reduced-fat frankfurters. Meat Sci 84: 557-563. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.10.012
- The Effect of Aronia Powder (Aronia melanocarpa) on Antioxidant Activity and Quality Characteristics of Pork Patties vol.31, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.1.083
- Comparative analysis of the antioxidant and anticancer activities of chestnut inner shell extracts prepared with various solvents vol.96, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.7324
- Quality Characteristics and Optimization of Korean Beef Patty with Addition of Allium victorialis var. platyphyllum vol.34, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.2.143