- Volume 43 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Relationships between Depressed Mood and Life Style Patterns in Koreans Aged 40 Years
만 40세 성인의 우울기분과 생활습관과의 관계
- Chu, Ji Eun (Dept. of Clinical Health Sciences, Graduate School of Clinical Health Sciences, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Lee, Heejin (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, College of Health Science, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Yoon, Chung Ha (Korea Association of Health Promotion) ;
- Cho, Han-Ik (Korea Association of Health Promotion) ;
- Hwang, Ji-Yun (Nutrition Education Major, Graduate School of Education, Sangmyung University) ;
- Park, Yoon Jung (Dept. of Clinical Health Sciences, Graduate School of Clinical Health Sciences, Ewha Womans University)
- 추지은 (이화여자대학교 임상보건과학대학원 임상보건학과 임상영양전공) ;
- 이희진 (이화여자대학교 건강과학대학 식품영양학과) ;
- 윤청하 (한국건강관리협회 건강증진본부) ;
- 조한익 (한국건강관리협회 건강증진본부) ;
- 황지윤 (상명대학교 교육대학원 영양교육전공) ;
- 박윤정 (이화여자대학교 임상보건과학대학원 임상보건학과 임상영양전공)
- Received : 2014.02.03
- Accepted : 2014.04.15
- Published : 2014.05.31
This study aimed to investigate the relationships between depressed mood and life style patterns, including smoking, alcohol drinking, and physical inactivity in Koreans aged 40 years, which is a critical life transition period. Based on the Life Transition Period Health Examination at the Korea Association of Health Promotion conducted in 2011 (n=27,684), participants were categorized into a depressed mood group and a non-depressed mood group based on the results of the Primary Mental Health Questionnaire. The depressed mood group showed higher tendency for smoking compared to the non-depressed mood group. Current and ex-smokers were about twice as likely to have a depressed mood as the non-smokers. The prevalence of nicotine dependency was significantly higher in the depressed mood group. The number of days and amount of alcohol consumption were significantly correlated with depressed mood. The prevalence of alcohol dependence and alcohol abuse was higher in the depressed mood group than in the non-depressed mood group. The frequency of high-intensity exercise per week was negatively correlated with the number of people with a depressed mood. This study showed the significant relationships between depressed mood and smoking, alcohol drinking, and physical activity in adults during an important life transition period. This implies that the development of proper lifestyle intervention or education may be needed to prevent depressed moods in this age group.
- Kwon SM. 1996. Relationship between depression and anxiety. Psych Sci 5: 13-38.
- Choi MK, Lee YH. 2010. Depression, powerlessness, social support, and socioeconomic status in middle aged community residents. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 19: 196-204. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.2.196
- Hong KW. 2010. Korean depression genetics studies. Public Health Weekly Report, KCDC 5: 342-345.
- Klungsoyr O, Nygard JF, Sorensen T, Sandanger I. 2006. Cigarette smoking and incidence of first depressive episode: An 11-year, population-based follow-up study. Am J Epidemiol 163: 421-432. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwj058
- Kim TS, Kim DJ. 2007. The association between smoking and depression. Korean J Psychopharmacol 18: 393-398.
- Im BH, Lee YC. 2010. Associated factors of problem drinking grade and comparison of health behavior by drinking grade among Korean men and women. Journal of Korean Alcohol Science 11: 107-107.
- Bazargan-Hejazi S, Ani C, Gaines T, Ahmadi A, Bazargan M. 2010. Alcohol misuse and depression symptoms among males and females. Arch Iran Med 13: 324-332.
- Lee SY, Lee MS. 2001. The influence of old adults mental health on the physical activity. The Research Institute of Sports Science 15: 81-95.
- Kim UM, Park SJ. 2007. The influence of physical activity and leisure activity participation on the depression and emotion in middle aged women. The Journal of Korean Society of Leisure and Recreation 8: 75-82.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2012. Epidemiological survey of psychiatric illnesses in Korea. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul, Korea.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. http://stat.mw.go.kr/front/statData/publicationView.jsp?menuId=43&bbsSeq=9&nttSeq=19087&searchKey=&searchWord=&nPage=1 (accessed Dec 2013).
- Park JH, Yoon SJ, Lee HY, Cho HS, Lee JY, Eun SJ, Park JH, Kim Y, Kim YI, Shin YS. 2006. Estimating the burden of psychiatric disorder in Korea. J Prev Med Public Health 39: 39-45
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/jb/sjb0402vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=030402&CONT_SEQ=203715&page=1 (accessed Mar 2014).
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. http://english.mw.go.kr/front_eng/jc/sjc0108mn.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=100312&MENU_ID=1003120401 (accessed Jan 2014).
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-1). https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/sub04/sub04_01.do?classType=7# (accessed Feb 2014).
- Lee YS, Lim HS, Ahn HS, Chang N. 2011. Nutrition through the life cycle. 3rd ed. Kyomunsa, Paju, Korea. p 311-314.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2007. The manual for national health screening program for the people in transition. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul, Korea.
- Jun SJ, Kim HK, Lee SM, Kim SA. 2004. Factors influencing middle-aged women's depression. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 15: 266-276.
- Kim MC. 1989. Mid-life crisis and it's related variables. PhD Dissertation. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Choi TS, Park HJ. 2011. The effect of self-consciousness and gender role stress upon mid-life crisis of middle-aged male. Korean Journal of Counseling 12: 931-944. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.3.201106.931
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/together/CdcKrTogether0302.jsp?menuIds=HOME001-MNU1154-MNU0004-MNU0088&fid=51&q_type&q_value&cid=9731&pageNum=1 (accessed Mar 2014).
- Kim YT, Lee WC, Cho B. 2010. National screening program for the transitional ages in Korea. J Korean Med Assoc 53: 371-376. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2010.53.5.371
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/jb/sjb0402vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=030405&page=1&CONT_SEQ=246758&SEARCHKEY=TITLE&SEARCHVALUE=%B0%C7%B0%AD%B0%CB%C1%F8 (accessed Dec 2013).
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. http://www.nhis.or.kr/cms/board/board/Board.jsp?act=VIEW&communityKey=B0063&boardId=21708 (accessed Dec 2013).
- Martini S, Wagner FA, Anthony JC. 2002. The association of tobacco smoking and depression in adolescence: Evidence from the united states. Subst Use Misuse 37: 1853-1867. https://doi.org/10.1081/JA-120014087
- Mendelsohn C. 2012. Smoking and depression-a review. Aust Fam Physician 41: 304-307.
- Quattrocki E, Baird A, Yurgelun-Todd D. 2000. Biological aspects of the link between smoking and depression. Harvard Rev Psychiatry 8: 99-110. https://doi.org/10.1080/hrp_8.3.99
- Delgado PL. 2000. Depression: The case for a monoamine deficiency. J Clin Psychiatry 61(suppl 6): 7-11. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.v61n0103
- Korhonen T, Koivumaa-Honkanen H, Varjonen J, Broms U, Koskenvuo M, Kaprio J. 2011. Cigarette smoking and dimensions of depressive symptoms: Longitudinal analysis among Finnish male and female twins. Nicotine & Tobacco Research: Official Journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco 13: 261-272. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntq251
- Hasin DS, Goodwin RD, Stinson FS, Grant BF. 2005. Epidemiology of major depressive disorder: Results from the national epidemiologic survey on alcoholism and related conditions. Arch Gen Psychiatry 62: 1097-1106. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.62.10.1097
- Heinz A, Ragan P, Jones DW, Hommer D, Williams W, Knable MB, Gorey JG, Doty L, Geyer C, Lee KS, Coppola R, Weinberger DR, Linnoila M. 1998. Reduced central serotonin transporters in alcoholism. Am J Psychiatry 155: 1544-1549. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.155.11.1544
- Wang JC, Hinrichs AL, Stock H, Budde J, Allen R, Bertelsen S, Kwon JM, Wu W, Dick DM, Rice J, Jones K, Nurnberger JI Jr, Tischfield J, Porjesz B, Edenberg HJ, Hesselbrock V, Crowe R, Schuckit M, Begleiter H, Reich T, Goate AM, Bierut LJ. 2004. Evidence of common and specific genetic effects: association of the muscarinic acetylcholine receptor M2 (CHRM2) gene with alcohol dependence and major depressive syndrome. Human Molecular Genetics 13: 1903-1911. https://doi.org/10.1093/hmg/ddh194
- Yoon SH, Bae JY, Lee SW, An KE, Kim SE. 2006. The effects of job stress on depression, drinking and smoking among Korean men. Health and Social Science 19: 31-50.
- Kim HK, Kim SY, Cha JK, Cho S, Kwon EJ, Park JY, Cho HI. 2011. Unhealthy drinking patterns in middle aged and older adults: Results from the 2010 national lifetime transition period health screening program. Journal of Korean Alcohol Science 12: 141-154.
- Lee BJ, Lee JS. 2007. Mediating effects of alcohol-induced stress in the relation between alcohol use and depressive symptoms. Social Science Research Review Kyungsung University 23: 193-212.
- Kwon TY. 2012. Socioeconomic status and the trajectory in depressive symptoms-the mediating role of alcohol use. Korean J Health Educ Promot 29: 59-72.
- Kim ML, Song KY. 2009. Changes of the level of physical self-efficacy, depression and stress of middle-aged men according to the stage of exercise change. J Korea Contents Assoc 9: 393-402. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.9.393
- Lee HG. 2008. The influence of walking intervention on severity of depressive symptoms in adolescents. MS Thesis. Keimyung University, Daegu, Korea.
- Lee SE. 2009. Regular exercise as a moderator of the relationship between illness-stress and depression. Mental Health & Social Work 33: 167-192.
- Vink J, Willemsen G, Stubbe J, Middeldorp C, Ligthart R, Baas K, Dirkzwager H, Geus E, Boomsma D. 2004. Estimating non-response bias in family studies: Application to mental health and lifestyle. Eur J Epidemiol 19: 623-630.
- Torvik F, Rognmo K, Tambs K. 2012. Alcohol use and mental distress as predictors of non-response in a general population health survey: the HUNT study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 47: 805-816. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-011-0387-3
- Chu JE, Lee JM, Cho HI, Park YJ. 2013. Relationships between obesity, blood and urinary compositions, and dietary habits and depressed mood in Koreans at the age of 40, a life transition period. J Nutr Health 46: 261-275. https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.3.261
- Associations Between Excessive Sodium Intake and Smoking and Alcohol Intake Among Korean Men: KNHANES V vol.12, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph121215001
- Comparison of Health Status and Nutrient Intake between Depressed Women and Non-depressed Women: Based on the 2013 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey vol.5, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7762/cnr.2016.5.2.112
- Associations between Smoking, Drinking and Depression among Korean Adults: The 5th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey vol.16, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2016.16.2.111
- Factors Influencing Maternal Depression: Secondary Data Analysis vol.28, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.3.288
- Factors Influencing the Decrease in Depression among Married Women with Depression: Using the Fifth and Sixth Wave Data of Korean Longitudinal Survey of Women and Families vol.27, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2018.27.4.321