- Volume 43 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Anti-inflammatory Effects of Turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) Extract on Acute and Chronic Inflammation Models
만성 및 급성 염증 모델에서 강황추출물의 효과
- Anandakumar, Senthilkumar (R&D Centre, Natural Remedies) ;
- Joseph, Joshua Allan (R&D Centre, Natural Remedies) ;
- Bethapudi, Bharathi (R&D Centre, Natural Remedies) ;
- Agarwal, Amit (R&D Centre, Natural Remedies) ;
- Jung, Eun-Bong (Sekwang S.T Corporation)
- 정은봉 (세광에스티코퍼레이션)
- Received : 2013.12.19
- Accepted : 2014.01.16
- Published : 2014.04.30
Anti-inflammatory effects of turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) rich in polysaccharides, as well as free of curcuminoids and turmerones were investigated in acute and chronic inflammatory models. Activity against the acute phase of inflammation was evaluated in carrageenan-induced paw edema and xylene-induced ear edema models. The results showed that turmeric extract significantly decreased paw edema volume in the first and third hours after carrageenan injection (
- Metcalf MH, Larson RV, Bonica JJ. 2001. Painful disorders of the knee and thigh. In Bonica's Management of Pain. 3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, USA. p 1593-1613.
- Gordon GV, Villanueva T, Schumacher HR, Gohel V. 1984. Autopsy study correlating degree of osteoarthritis synovitis and evidence of articular calcification. J Rheumatol 11: 681-686.
- Yoo TM, Yi SY, Chung SY, Seung SA, Rheu HM, Lee EB, Yang JS. 1998. Studies on the anti-inflammatory effects of natural products. Korean J Appl Pharmacol 6: 269-275.
- Cashman JN. 1996. The mechanisms of action of NSAIDs in analgesia. Drugs 52: 13-23. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-199600525-00004
- Gupta M, Mazumder UK, Gomathi P, Selvan VT. 2006. Anti-inflammatory evaluation of leaves of Plumeria acuminate. BMC Complement Altern Med 6: 36. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-6-36
- Shewale VD, Deshmukh TA, Patil LS, Patil VR. 2012. Antiinflammatory activity of Delonix regia (Boj. Ex. Hook). Adv Pharmacol Sci 2012: 789713.
- Yegnanarayan R, Saraf AP, Balwani JH. 1976. Comparison of anti-inflammatory activity of various extracts of Curcuma longa (Linn). Indian J Med Res 64: 601-608.
- Costa B, Colleoni M, Conti S, Parolaro D, Franke C, Trovato AE, Giagnoni G. 2004. Oral anti-inflammatory activity of cannabidiol, an non-psychoactive constituent of cannabis, in acute carrageenan-induced inflammation in the rat paw. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 369: 294-299. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00210-004-0871-3
- Lee YS, Park JY, Lim HJ. 2004. Peripheral analgesic effects of NSAIDs and expressions of cyclooxygenase-1 and cyclooxygenase- 2 in acute arthritic model in rats. Korean J Anesthesiol 47: 862-869. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2004.47.6.862
- Seibert K, Zhang Y, Leahy K, Hauser S, Masferrer J, Perkins W, Lee L, Isakson P. 1994. Pharmacological and biochemical demonstration of the role of cyclooxygenase 2 in inflammation and pain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 12013-12017. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.91.25.12013
- Jung BG, Jeon KO, Cho DH, Park MY, Choi HY, Kim JD. 2006. Anti-inflammatory effect of Haepyoejin-tang plus antler water extract in xylene-application mouse ear acute inflammation model. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology 20: 985-991.
- Eddouks M, Chattopadhyay D, Zeggwagh NA. 2012. Animal models as tools to investigate antidiabetic and anti-inflammatory plants. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012: 142087.
- Gupta M, Mazumder UK, Kumar RS, Kumar TS. 2003. Studies on anti inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic properties of methanol extract of Caesalpinia bonducella leaves in experimental animal models. Iran J Pharmacol & Ther 2: 30-34.
- Beg S, Swain S, Hasan H, Barkat MA, Hussain MS. 2011. Systematic review of herbals as potential anti-inflammatory agents: recent advances, current clinical status and future perspectives. Pharmacogn Rev 5: 120-137. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-7847.91102
- Winter CA, Risley EA, Nuss GW. 1962. Carrageenin-induced edema in hind paw of the rat as an assay for anti inflammatory drugs. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 111: 544-547. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-111-27849
- Drozdova IL, Bubenchikov RA. 2005. Composition and anti inflammatory activity of polysaccharides complexes extracted from sweet violet and low mallow. Pharm Chem J 39: 197-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11094-005-0116-x
- Pereira Lde P, da Silva RO, Bringel PH, da Silva KE, Assreuy AM, Pereira MG. 2012. Polysaccharide fractions of Caesalpinia ferrea pods: potential anti-inflammatory usage. J Ethnopharmacol 139: 642-648. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.12.012
- Chandrasekaran CV, Sundarajan K, Edwin JR, Gururaja GM, Mundkinajeddu D, Agarwal A. 2013. Immune-stimulatory and anti-inflammatory activities of Curcuma longa extract and its polysaccharide fraction. Pharmacognosy Res 5: 71-79. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-8490.110527
- Atta AH, Alkofahi A. 1998. Anti-nociceptive and anti-inflammatory effects of some Jordanian medicinal plant extracts. J Ethnopharmacol 60: 117-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(97)00137-2
- D'Arcy PF, Howard EM, Muggleton PW, Townsend SB. 1960. The anti-inflammatory action of griseofulvin in experimental animals. J Pharm Pharmacol 12: 659-665. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-7158.1960.tb12727.x
- Galhena PB, Samarakoon SR, Thabrew MI, Weerasinghe GA, Thammitiyagodage MG, Ratnasooriya WD, Tennekoon KH. 2012. Anti-inflammatory activity is a possible mechanism by which the polyherbal formulation comprised of Nigella sativa (seeds), Hemidesmus indicus (root), and Smilax glabra (rhizome) mediates its antihepatocarcinogenic effects. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012: 108626.
- Ghildiyal S, Gautam MK, Joshi VK, Goel RK. 2012. Pharmacological evaluation of extracts of Hedychium spicatum (Ham-ex-Smith) rhizome. Anc Sci Life 31: 117-122. https://doi.org/10.4103/0257-7941.103189
- Cho YS, Kim ND, Kim SA. 1978. Effects of concurrent administration of aspirin and prednisolone on the anti-inflammatory and antipyretic activities in rats. Yakhak Hoeji 22: 128-137.
- Ruby AJ, Kuttan G, Babu KD, Rajasekharan KN, Kuttan R. 1995. Anti-tumour and antioxidant activity of natural curcuminoids. Cancer Lett 94: 79-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(95)03827-J
- Jung SH, Chang KS, Ko KH. 2004. Physiological effects of curcumin extracted by supercritical fluid from turmeric (Curcuma longa L.). Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 317-320.
- Sung KC. 2011. A study on the pharmaceutical & chemical characteristics and analysis of natural curcumin extract. J Korean Oil Chemists' Soc 28: 393-401.
- European Medicines Agency. 2009. Committee on herbal medicinal products; assessment report on Curcuma longa L. rhizoma. http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Herbal_-_HMPC_assessment_report/2010/02/WC500070700.pdf.
- Negi PS, Jayaprakasha GK, Jagan Mohan Rao L, Sakariah KK. 1999. Antibacterial activity of turmeric oil: a byproduct from curcumin manufacture. J Agric Food Chem 47: 4297-4300. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf990308d
- Jayaprakasha GK, Jena BS, Negi PS, Sakariah KK. 2002. Evaluation of antioxidant activities and antimutagenicity of turmeric oil: a byproduct from curcumin production. Z Naturforsch C 57: 828-835.
- Liju VB, Jeena K, Kuttan R. 2011. An evaluation of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiociceptive activities of essential oil from Curcuma longa L. Indian J Pharmacol 43: 526-531. https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7613.84961
- Deshpande SS, Ingle AD, Maru GB. 1998. Chemopreventive efficacy of curcumin-free aqueous turmeric extract in 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced rat mammary tumorigenesis. Cancer Lett 123: 35-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(97)00400-X
- de Paulo Pereira L, da Silva KES, da Silva RO, Assreuy AMS, Pereira MG. 2012. Anti inflammatory polysaccharides of Azadirachta indica seed tegument. Rev Bras de Farmacogn 22: 617-622. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-695X2012005000031
- Evaluation of Hygienic Properties and Effects of Printing on Curcuma- and Coffee-Dyed Cotton Fabrics vol.28, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2017.28.1.143
- Biochemical characterization and anti-inflammatory properties of an isothiocyanate-enriched moringa (Moringa oleifera) seed extract vol.12, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0182658
- Antioxidant Activity, Sensory Characteristics, and Microbial Safety of Sunsik with Fermented Turmeric Powder vol.32, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.5.600
- Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Activities of Curcuma aromatica Salisb. with and without Fermentation vol.32, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.3.299
- Anti-inflammatory Effect of Onion (Allium cepa) Peel Hot Water Extract in vitro and in vivo vol.30, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7841/ksbbj.2015.30.4.148
- Inhibitory Effects of Complex of Mulberry Extract on Degenerative Arthritis vol.22, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2014.22.4.262
- Polar extract of Curcuma longa protects cartilage homeostasis: possible mechanism of action vol.26, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10787-017-0433-1