- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Determinants for the Employment of the Disabled: Focusing on Differences by Age Group
장애인 고용의 결정변인: 연령집단별 차이를 중심으로
- Received : 2014.04.14
- Accepted : 2014.05.16
- Published : 2014.05.28
This study aims to overcome the limitations of prior studies that have failed to take into account the impact of psycho-social factors on the employment of people with disabilities as well as the differences in employment by life stage. This study employs a research model that includes psycho-social factors along with human capital to examine how the determinants of employment differ for the disabled by life stage. The analysis in this study takes the form of logistic regression, using data from the fifth wave of the Korea Welfare Panel Survey. Analysis results show that the employment probability of young people with disabilities is significantly associated with their experience of discrimination, with their chance of employment decreasing when they have more experience of discrimination. Middle-aged people with disabilities are more likely to be employed when they have a lower level of education, a better health condition and a higher level of labor ability. For the disabled elderly, their labor ability is the only factor affecting their possibility of employment; they have a higher chance of getting a job when they have a higher level of labor ability.
Disability;Employment;Labor Market;Human Capital;Discrimination
- E. R. Paik, H. K. Oh, and D. I. Chun," Astudy on affected factors of employment of women with disabilities in Korea," Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, Vol.17, pp.223-248, 2007.
- S. B. Uh, "Disability and the labor market," Korean Journal of Labor Economics, Vol.19, No.1, pp.69-100, 1996.
- Y. K. Kwon, Determinants of employment and wage of the persons with disabilities in Korea, Master's thesis, Korea: Seoul National University,1998.
- J. H. Im, A study on the affecting factors of employment and wage of the persons with cerebral palsy, Ph. D. Dissertation, Korea: Catholic University, 2006.
- J. S. Lee, S. K. Park, and J. Y. Kwak," Astudy on factors affecting social integration of visually impaired people in Korea," Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol.54, pp.149-176, 2003.
- K. J. Lee, A study on the factors affecting on the duration of job maintenance for the mental disorders, Master's thesis, Korea: Ewha Womans University, 2000.
- D. C. Ryu,"Determinant of and policy strategy for employment of people with disability," Disability & Employment, Vol.18, No.1, pp.79-97, 2006
- H. Y. Yeum, B. I. Jung, M. Y. Jung, and E. Y. Yoo, "Analysis of factors affecting job maintenance for the workers with physical disability," Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, Vol.16, No.1, pp.27-44, 2006.
- T. Ownsworth and K. McKenna, "Investigation of factors related to employment outcome following traumatic brain injury: A Critical review and conceptual model," Disability and Rehabilitation, Vol.26, No.13, pp.765-784, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638280410001696700
- G. S. Becker, The Economic of discrimination, Chicago, IL : Chicago University Press, 1957.
- J. S. Lee, and E. R. Paik, "A study on the current situation and the factors affecting wages of the women workers with disabilities in Korea," Disability & Employment. Vol.18, No.1, pp.93-109, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15707/disem.2008.18.1.005
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2008 National Survey on Persons with Disabilities, Seoul: KIHASA press, 2009.
- H. K. Lee, H. E. Park, and M. K. Choi, "Employment needs of people with mental disabilities : Centering on economic status and occupational ability variables," Journal of Contents, Vol.13, No.7. pp. 265-277, 2013
- I. H. Chung, Social development and Human capital: theory and application, Gyeonggi: Kyoyookbook, 2002.
- J. S. Lee,"A study about decisive factors on employment of a person with physical disability and/or cerebral palsy," Disability & Employment, Vol.18, No.2, pp.57-82, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15707/disem.2008.18.2.003
- H. C. Park and J. H. Lee, "A study on the regional characteristic of employment according to age groups in Seoul," Seoul Studies, Vol.14, No.3, pp.213-230, 2013.
- J. M. Sung and J. Y. Ahn, "What Makes the older work for satisfactory lives?," Journal of Labor Policy, Vol.6, No.1, pp.39-74, 2006.
- Encyclopedia of Economy, Human Capital. Seoul :Nurimedia. from http://www.Krpia,co.kr/pConten t/content_view_detail_print. asp?=71&svcid=. 2013. 04. 28, 2013.
- I. S. Yang, and S. H. Kim, "The effects of human capital and social capital on the employment of married immigrant women," Business & Economic Research Institute Review, Vol.34, No.1, pp.237-266, 2011.
- J. Mincer, Schooling, Experience and Earning, New York, NY: Columbia University Press, 1974.
- J. Mincer, Studies in Human Capital. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1993.
- J. J. Ryu, and W. H. Na, "The study on the predictors of employment status of people with disabilities," Korean Public Administration Review, Vol.40, No.2, pp.167-193, 2006.
- D. I. Kim, S. J. Kim, and K. S. Kim, "The effect of vocational education on the probability of obtaining job and the amountofsalary for individual with disabilities," Disability & Employment, Vol.22, No.3, pp.5-23, 2012.
- D. C. Yu, "A study on the Double Discrimination effect of the women with physical disability: focused on the employment and wage," Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, Vol.15, pp.73-108, 2000.
- S. R. Oh,"A study about the predictor variables of employment of persons with disabilities," Social Welfare Policy, Vol.34, pp,255-275, 2008.
- H. S. Im and H. G. Lee, "Determinant of employment for the people with intellectual disabilities in Korea," Disability & Employment, Vol.19, No.3, pp.27-50, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15707/disem.2009.19.3.002
- S. K. Lee, "21 Century knowledge based society and direction for employment of female with disability," Disability & Employment, Vol.10, No.4, pp.21-43, 2000.
- D. T. Im and L. S. Jeon,"Employment theories and factors of the handicapped," Journal of Modern Social Science, Vol.11, No.1, pp.35-68, 2000.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2005 National survey on Persons with Disabilities, Seoul : KIHASA press, 2006.
- J. S. Seo and G. Y. Kim, "A study on a ffected factors of employment of disabilities of internal organs in Korea,"Disability & Employment, Vol.22, No.4, pp.241-266,2012. https://doi.org/10.15707/disem.2012.22.4.010
- S. W. Lee,"Analysis of factors affecting employment status of person with disabilities," Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol.33, pp.287-313, 1997.