- Volume 14 Issue 5
In order to improve organization performance by CEO's leadership, the control systems have to be designed in accordance with CEO's strategic orientation. A management control systems (MCS) is a system which gathers and uses information to evaluate the performance of different organizational resources like human, physical, financial and also the organization as a whole considering the organizational strategies. Present study explored the effects of CEO's Characteristics and control on organization performance. So this study adopted 'Risk-taking tendency', 'Achievement motivation' during psychological characteristics of CEO. For the control variable of this study, 'behavior control' and 'result control' were adopted. And for the variable of performance, financial performance was selected. As result of the study, Behavior control affects financial performance highly than result control. Through additional studies conducted during the same period, there is a significant indirect effect of achievement motivation and behavior control.
CEO's Characteristics;Behavior Control;Result Control;Financial Performance
- E. Pillis, What's Achievement Got to Do with it? The Role of National Culture in the Relationship Between Entrepreneurship and Achievement Motivation, Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, 1998.
- D. Miller, M. Kets de Vries, and J. Toulouse, "Top Executive Locus of Control and Its Relationship to Strategy-Manking, Structure and Environment," Academy of Managemnet Journal, Vol.25, pp.237-253, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/255988
- W. Ouchi and M. Maguire, "Organizational Control : Two Function," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.20, pp.559-569, 1975. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392023
- W. Ouchi, "A Conceptual Framework for the Design of Organizational Control Mechanisms," Management Science, Vol.25, No.9, pp.833-847, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.25.9.833
- M. Porter, "Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors," The Free Press, 1980.
- W. Sandberg, New Venture Performance, MA:Lexington, 1986.
- D. Sexton and N. Bowman, "The Entrepreneur: A Capable Executive and More," Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.1, pp.129-140, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(85)90012-6
- R. Simons, "The Role of Management Control Systems in Creating Competitive Advantage: New Perspectives," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Vol.15, Issue 1-2, pp.127-143, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0361-3682(90)90018-P
- S. Snell, "Control theory in strategic human resource management: The mediating effect of administrative information," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.35, pp.292-327, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/256375
- T. Wheelen and J. Hunger, Strategic Management and Business Policy, 6th ed. Addison-Wesley, New York, NY.1999.
- C. Ittner and D. Larcker, "Total quality management and the choice of information and reward systems, Journal of Accounting Research, pp.1-34, 1995.
- C. Chen, P. Greene, and A. Crick, "Does Self-Efficacy Distinguish Entrepreneurs from Managers?," Journal of Business Venturing Vol.13, pp.295-316, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(97)00029-3
- V. Govindarajan, "Implementing Competitive Strategies at the Business Unit Level: Implications of Matching Managers to Strategies," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.10, No.3, pp.251-269, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250100305
- J. Bisbe and D. Otley, "The Effects of the Interactive Use of Management Control Systems on Product Innovation," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Vol.29, No.8, pp.709-737, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aos.2003.10.010
- E. Flamholtz, "Accounting, Budgeting and Control Systems in their Organizational Context; Theoretical and Empirical Perspectives," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Vol.8, pp.53-169, 1983.
- L. Gordon and D. Miller, "Contingency Framework for the Desing of Accounting Information Systems," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Vol.1, No.1, pp.59-69, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1016/0361-3682(76)90007-6
- R. Hayes and W. Abernathy, "Managing our Way to Economic Decline," Harvard Business Review, Vol.58, pp.67-77, 1980.
- J. Henderson and S. Lee, "Managing I/S Design Teams: A Control Theories perspective," Management Science, Vol.38, pp.757-777, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.38.6.757
- J. Henri, "Management Control Systems and Strategy: A resource-based perspective," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Vol.31, No.6, pp.529-558, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aos.2005.07.001
- W. Hofer and C. Sandberg, "Improving New Venture Performance: The Role of Strategy, Industry Structure, And The Entrepreneur," Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.2, No.5, pp.5-28, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(87)90016-4
- C. Barnard, The Function of the Executive, Harvard University Press. Cambridge, MA, 1938.
- J. Baum, The Relation of Traits, Competences, Vision, Motivation, and Strategy to Venture Growth, Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, The University of Maryland, 1994.
- R. Kaplan and D. Norton, "The Balanced Scorecard Measures that Drive Performance," Harvard Business Review, Jan-Feb, pp.71-79, 1992.
- J. Kerr and E. Jackofsky, "Aligning Managers with Strategies: Management Development versus Selection," Strategic Management Journal, pp.157-170, 1989.
- L. Kirsch, "The Management of Complex Tasks in Organizations Controlling the Systems Development Process," Organization Science, Vol.7, pp.1-21, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.1.1
- R. Miles and C. Snow, Organizational Strategy. Structure and Process, New York : McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- 김병태, "최고경영자의 특성 및 전략성향과 사업 성과", 생산성논집, 제10권, 제1호, 1995.
- 이학식, 임지훈, 구조방정식 모형분석과 AMOS 20.0, 집현재, 2013.
- 정재진, "CEO특성, 경영혁신, 경영통제시스템 적합성이 재무성과에 미치는 영향", 한국컨텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제5호, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.05.377
- 정현용, "리더십-팔로워십 유형결합이 행정조직의 성과에 미치는 영향 : 팔로워십의 매개효과 및 조절효과 분석", 한국컨텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제1호, 2014.
- R. Amit, L. Glosten, and E. Muller, "Challenges to Theory Development in Entrepreneurship Research," Journal of Manngement Studies, Vol.30, No.5, pp.815-834, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1993.tb00327.x
- C. Anderson and C. Schneier, "Locus of Control, Leader Behavior and Leader Performance Among Management Students," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.21, pp.690-698, 1978. https://doi.org/10.2307/255709
- J. Anderson and D. Gerbing, "Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-step Approach," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.103, No.3, pp.411-423, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- J. Bantel and S. Jackson, "Top Management and Innovation in Banking: Does the Composition of the Top Team Make a Difference?," Strategic Management journal, Vol.10, pp.107-124, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250100709