- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Transformational·Transactional Leadership and In-role Performance: Mediating Effect of Subordinator's Motivation
변혁적·거래적 리더십과 직무수행성과 간의 관계: 부하 동기부여의 매개효과
- Received : 2014.02.14
- Accepted : 2014.04.08
- Published : 2014.05.28
This study was conducted empirically to explore the relationship between transformational and transactional leadership and in-role performance focusing on the mediating effect of motivation, intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. To accomplish this, we have thoroughly reviewed the studies and theories related to transformational-transactional leadership and in-role performance. Based on the literature review, I proposed research model and hypothesis and statistically tested. The data for this study was collected via survey. The basic informations involved 159 employees who work for companies in Busan and sourthern Kyunsan province. The results were follows. Transformational and transactional leadership have meaningful influence on in-role performance. The mediating effect of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation between transformational leadership and in-role performance was supported. These results imply that leaders should support the vision of employees as a symbol of success and it could foster the performance.
Transformational.transactional Leadership;Intrinsic.extrinsic Motivation;In-role Performance
Supported by : 동아대학교
- C. P. Alderfer, "An empirical test of new theory of human needs, "Organizational Behavior & Human Performance, Vol.4, pp.142-175, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(69)90004-X
- L. J. William and S. E. Anderson, "Job satisfaction and organizational commitmentas predictors of organizational citizenship and in-role behaviors, " Journal of Management, Vol.17, pp.601-617, 1991.
- R. M. Baron and D. A. Kenny, "Moderator-mediator variables distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.51, pp.1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- C. Wong, K. S. Law, and G. Hung, "on the importance of conducting construct-level analysis for multidimensional constructs in theory developmentand testing," Journal of Management, Vol.3, No. 4, pp.744-764, 2008.
- J. M. Haysand A. V. Hill, "Service guarantee strength: The key to service quality, "Journal of Operations Management, Vol.24, pp.753-764, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2005.08.003
- T. E. Becker, R. S. BIllings, D. M. Eveleth, and N. L. Gilbert, "Fociand bases of employee commitment: Implications for job peerformance, " Academy of Management Journal, Vol.39, pp.464-482, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/256788
- R. T. Keller, "Transformational leadership and the performance of research and development project groups, "Journal of Management, Vol.18, pp.489-501, 1992.
- J. Burns, Leadership. NY: Harper & Row, 1978.
- B. M. Bass, Leadership and performance beyond expectations. NY: Free Press, 1985.
- J. M. Howell and B. J. Avolio, "The ethics f charismatic leadership: Submission or Liberation?, " Academy of Management Executive, Vol.6, pp.43-54, 1992.
- A. Bryman, Charisma and Leadership of Organizations, London: Sage, 1992.
- V. H. Vroom, Work and Motivation, NY: Wiley, 1964.
- A. Zaleznik, "Managers and leaders: Are they different," Harvard Business Review, Vol.55, pp.67-78, 1997.
- B. M. Bass and B. J. Avolio, "The implications of transactional and transformational leadership for individual, team, and organizational development," Research in Organizational Change and Development, Vol.4, pp.231-272, 1990.
- E. L. Deci, The psychology of self-determination, MA: Lexington Books, 1980.
- T. M. Amabile, "How to killcreativity, " Harvard Business Review, pp.77-87, 1998.
- 소선주, 정민숙, "지역아동센터장의 변혁적 리더십이 조직효과성에 미치는 영향 -교사효능감을 매개효과로", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제2호, pp.330-341, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.02.330
- 신혜숙, "변혁적 리더십이 조직시민행동에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제12권, 제3호, pp.401-410, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.03.401
- G. R. Jones, "Socialization tatics, self-efficacy and newcomers to organizations, "Academy of Management Journal, Vol.29, pp.262-279, 1986. https://doi.org/10.2307/256188
- A. J. Ruci, S. P. Kim, and R. T. Quinn, "The employee-customer-profit chain at sears, " Harvard Business Review, Vol.76, pp.82-97, 1998.
- J. K. Heskett, T. O. Jones, G. W. Loveman, and Jr. W. E. Sasser, "Putting the service-profit-chaintowork, "Harvard Business Review, Vol.72, pp.164-170, 1994.
- R. W. Y. Yee, A. C. L. Yeung, and C. T. C. Edwin, "An empirical study of employee loyalty, service quality and firm performance in the service industry, " International Journal of Production Economics, Vol.12, No. 4, pp.109-120, 2010.