- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Developing English Communicative Ability for Science Gifted Students through Project-based Learning of Publishing English Newspapers
프로젝트 기반 학습의 영자 신문 발간을 통한 과학 영재 학생의 영어 의사소통능력 향상
- 김영미 (한국과학영재학교 인문예술학부)
- Received : 2014.04.14
- Accepted : 2014.05.19
- Published : 2014.05.28
This study aims to assure the positive influence of publishing English newspapers on improving English communicative ability and explores possibilities of enforcing an explicitly collaborative and independent learning atmosphere through a cooperative project-based publishing process. The project of publishing first KSA English newspapers has completed with a series of processes adopted from project-based learning and teaching strategies. The project involves the initiative process of selecting student editors based on their English abilities and commitment levels followed by planning subjects, themes and materials, distributing tasks and articles, and integrating and editing the outcome. Throughout the whole process volunteers participated independently and collaboratively with minimum supervision. The survey shows that the successfully published English Newspaper resulted in facilitating volunteers' positive self awareness and independent learning attitude as well as improving general English ability. The study discusses possibilities and advantages of publishing newspapers and magazines not for limited language education only, but for integrated project-based learning and teaching with suggestions for further related studies.
English Communicative Ability;Collaborative and Integrated Language Education;Project-based Teaching and Learning;Science Gifted Education;Critical and Creative Thinking;English Newspaper Publication
Supported by : 미래창조과학부
- J. C. Richards, J. Platt, and H. Platt, Dictionary of Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics, London: Longman, 1985.
- J. Munby, Communicative Syllabus Design, Cambridge: CUP, 1978.
- D. Nunan (Ed.), Collaborative Language Learning and Teaching, Cambridge: CUP, 1992.
- J. C. Richards, The Language Teaching Matrix, Cambridge: CUP, 1990.
- M. H. Long and G. Crookes, "Three approaches to task-based syllabus design, "TESOL Quarterly, Vol.26, No.1, pp.27-55, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/3587368
- J. Willis, A framework for Task-based Learning, London: Longman, 1996.
- D. Nunan, Design Tasks for the Communicative Classroom, Cambridge: CUP, 1989.
- M. Long, Task-based Learning, Oxford: Blackwell, 1996.
- N. Prabhu, Second Language Pedagogy, Oxford: OUP, 1987.
- K. Kim, "Improving English Reading Competence for Middle School Students through Newspapers in Education," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제4호, pp.477-484, 2011 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.4.477