- Volume 50 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Dynamic response of layered hyperbolic cooling tower considering the effects of support inclinations
- Asadzadeh, Esmaeil (Department of Civil Engineering, Jamia Millia Islamia University) ;
- Alam, Mehtab (Department of Civil Engineering, Jamia Millia Islamia University) ;
- Asadzadeh, Sahebali (Department of Civil Engineering, Islamic Azad University of Maragheh)
- Received : 2013.06.15
- Accepted : 2014.04.19
- Published : 2014.06.25
Cooling tower is analyzed as an assembly of layered nonlinear shell elements. Geometric representation of the shell is enabled through layered nonlinear shell elements to define the different layers of reinforcements and concrete by considering the material nonlinearity of each layer for the cooling tower shell. Modal analysis using Ritz vector analysis and nonlinear time history analysis by direct integration method have been carried out to study the effects of the inclination of the supporting columns of the cooling tower shell on its dynamic characteristics. The cooling tower is supported by I-type columns and
- Sabouri-Ghomi, S., Abedi Nik, F., Roufegarinejad, A. and Bradford, M. A. (2006), "Numerical study of the nonlinear dynamic behaviour of reinforced concrete cooling towers under earthquake excitation", Adv. Struct. Eng., 9(3), 433-442. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943306777641940
- Sabouri-Ghomi, S., Hadj Karim Kharrazi, M. and Javidan, P. (2006), "Effect of stiffening rings on buckling stability of R.C. hyperbolic cooling towers", Thin Wall. Struct., 44(2), 152-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.02.005
- Sen, S.K. and Gould, P.L. (1976), "Hyperboloidal shells on discrete supports", J. Struct. Div., 99(3), 595-603.
- Sun, S., Cao, D. and Chu. S. (2013), "Free vibration analysis of thin rotating cylindrical shells using wave propagation approach", Arch. Appl. Mech., 83(4), 521-531. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00419-012-0701-x
- Vaziri, A. and Estekanchi, H.E. (2006), "Buckling of cracked cylindrical thin shells under combined internal pressure and axial compression", Thin Wall. Struct., 44(2), 141-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.02.004
- Viladkara, M.N., Karisiddappa, Bhargava, P. and Godbole, P.N. (2006), "Static soil-structure interaction response of hyperbolic cooling towers to symmetrical wind loads", Eng. Struct., 28(9), 1236-1251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.11.010
- Wang, W. and Teng, S. (2007), "Modeling cracking in shell-type reinforced concrete structures", J. Eng. Mech., 133(6), 677-87. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2007)133:6(677)
- Wolf, J.P. and Skrikerud, P.E. (1980), "Influence of geometry and of the constitutive law of the supporting columns on the seismic response of a hyperbolic cooling tower", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 8(5), 415-437. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290080505
- Lee, B. and Gould, P. (1985), "Seismic response of pile supported cooling towers", J. Struct. Eng., 111(9), 1930-1947. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:9(1930)
- Ibrahimbegovic, A. and Wilson, E.L. (1991), "A unified formulation for triangular and quadrilateral flat shell finite elements with six nodal degrees of freedom", Commun. Appl. Numer. Method., 7(1), 1-9.
- Karisiddappa, Viladkar, M.N., Godbole, P.N. and Krishna, P. (1998), "Finite element analysis of column supported hyperbolic cooling towers using semi-loof shell and beam elements", Eng. Struct., 20(2), 75-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00048-5
- Kye, J.H. and Wen, W.T. (1987), "A finite element model for column supported shells of revolution", Int. J. Numer. Method. Eng., 24(10), 1951-1971. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620241010
- Lee, S.L. and Gould, P.L. (1967), "Hyperbolic cooling towers under wind load", J. Eng. Mech. Div., 86, 487-514.
- Martin, D.W. and Scriver, W.E. (1961), "The calculation of membrane stresses in hyperbolic cooling towers", ICE Proceedings, Civil Eng, 19(4), 503-13. https://doi.org/10.1680/iicep.1961.11307
- Nasir, A.M., Thambiratnam, D.P., Butler, D. and Austin, P. (2002), "Dynamics of axisymmetric hyperbolic shell structures", Thin Wall. Struct., 40(7-8), 665-690. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(02)00019-8
- Noorzaei, J., Naghshineh, A., Abdul Kadir, M.R., Thanoon, W.A. and Jaafar, M.S. (2006), "Nonlinear interactive analysis of cooling tower-foundation-soil interaction under unsymmetrical wind load", Thin Wall. Struct., 44(9), 997-1005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.08.019
- Oliver, J., Linero, D.L., Huespe, A.E. and Manzoli, O.L. (2008), "Two-dimensional modeling of material failure in reinforced concrete by means of a continuum strong discontinuity approach", Comput. Method. Appl. Mech. Eng., 197(5), 332-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2007.05.017
- Rabczuk, T., Zi, G., Bordas, S. and Nguyen-Xuan, H.A. (2008), "Geometrically non-linear threedimensional cohesive crack method for reinforced concrete structures", Eng. Fract. Mech., 75(16), 4740-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfracmech.2008.06.019
- CSI Analysis Reference Manual for SAP2000 (2009), ISO# GEN062708M1 Rev.1, Berkeley, California, USA.
- Asadzadeh, E., Rajan, A., Kulkarni, M.S. and Asadzadeh, S. (2012), "Finite element analysis for structural response of RCC cooling tower shell considering alternative supporting systems", Int. J. Civil Eng. Tech., 3(1), 82-98.
- Bhimaraddi, A., Moss, P. and Carr, A. (1991), "Free-vibration response of column-supported, ring-stiffened cooling tower", J. Eng. Mech., 117(4), 770-788. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1991)117:4(770)
- Chan, A.S.L. (1978), "Cooling tower supporting columns and reinforcing rings in small and large displacement analyses", Comput. Method. Appl. Mech. Eng., 13(1), 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(78)90080-4
- Gopinath, S., Iyer, N., Rajasankar, J. and D'Souza, S. (2012), "Nonlinear analysis of RC shell structures using multilevel modeling techniques", Eng. Comput., 29(2), 104-124. https://doi.org/10.1108/02644401211206016
- Gould, P.L. (1968), "Unsymmetrically loaded hyperboloids of revolution", J. Eng. Mech. Div., 94(5), 1029-1044.
- Gould, P.L. and Lee, S.L. (1969), "Hyperboloids of revolution supported on columns", J. Eng. Mech. Div., 95(5), 1083-1100.
- Hara, T. (2002), "Dynamic response of RCC cooling tower shell considering supporting systems", Tokuyama College of Technology Journal, 236-251.
- Hara. T. and Gould, P.L. (2002), "Local-global analysis of cooling tower with cutouts", Comput. Struct., 80(27-30), 2157-2166. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(02)00250-X
- Hughes, T.J.R. and Hughes, T. (2000), The Finite Element Method: Linear Static and Dynamic Finite Element Analysis, Dover Publications, New Jersey.
- Hyuk, C.N. (2006), "Nonlinear behavior and ultimate load bearing capacity of reinforced concrete natural draught cooling tower shell", Eng. Struct., 28(3), 399-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.08.016
- Abu-Sitta, S.H. (1970), "Cooling towers supported on columns", J. Struct. Div., 96(12), 2575-88.
- Albasiny, E.L. and Martin, D.W. (1967), "Bending and membrane equilibrium in cooling towers", J. Struct. Div., 93(3), 1-18.
- Stability and Reinforcement Analysis of Superlarge Exhaust Cooling Towers Based on a Wind Tunnel Test vol.141, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001309