- Volume 36 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Study on Introduction to Predicting Indicator of Cyanobacteria Dominance in Algae Bloom Warning System of Hangang Basin
한강유역 조류경보제에 남조류 우점 예측인자 도입에 관한 연구
- Kim, Tae Kyun (The office of Waterworks, Seoul Metropolitan Government Amsa Arisu Water Purification Center) ;
- Choi, Jae Ho (The office of Waterworks, Seoul Metropolitan Government Amsa Arisu Water Purification Center) ;
- Lee, Kyung Ju (The office of Waterworks, Seoul Metropolitan Government Amsa Arisu Water Purification Center) ;
- Kim, Young Bae (The office of Waterworks, Seoul Metropolitan Government Amsa Arisu Water Purification Center) ;
- Yu, Sung Jong (The office of Waterworks, Seoul Metropolitan Government Amsa Arisu Water Purification Center)
- 김태균 (서울시상수도사업본부 암사아리수정수센터) ;
- 최재호 (서울시상수도사업본부 암사아리수정수센터) ;
- 이경주 (서울시상수도사업본부 암사아리수정수센터) ;
- 김영배 (서울시상수도사업본부 암사아리수정수센터) ;
- 유성종 (서울시상수도사업본부 암사아리수정수센터)
- Received : 2014.02.11
- Accepted : 2014.05.19
- Published : 2014.05.31
The chlorophyll-a concentration in algae bloom warning system of Hangang basin did not predict the cyanobacteria dominance. In this study, suggest the predicting indicator of cyanobacteria dominance through analyzing the environmental factors affecting on the cell count of cyanobacteria. Firstly, the dominance of algae was analyzed with seasonal variation during Jan. 2012~Sep. 2013. The diatom dominated phytoplankton communities during the period of January~April. In the May~June, the green algae dominated. And, the dominance of algae was changed to cyanobacteria in the July~August. Also, the environmental factors affecting to cyanobacteria blooms ; nutrients (TN, TP), temperature, precipitation, dam-discharge were evaluated during the study period. Rather than temperature factor, relatively low dam discharge causes cyanobacteria to grow rapidly and create a blooms. The low dam-discharge may increase the water retention time. Finally, it is proved that a low ratio of TN to TP (<29:1) can favour the development of cyanobacteria blooms. Thus, the predicting indicator (TN:TP) have need to apply to the alarm bloom warning system of Hangang basin.
- Schmetterer G., "Cyanobacterial respiration," In : Bryant DA(ed.) the molecular biology of cyanobacteria, Dordrecht : Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 409-435(1994).
- Operating manual of algae warning system, seoul metropolitan government(2013).
- Gleitz, M., Greossmann, S., Scharekm, R. and Smetacek, V., "Ecology of diatom and bacterial assemblages in water associated with melting summer sea ice in the weddell sea, antarctica," Antarctic Sci., 8(2), 135-146(1996).
- Redfield, A. C., "On the proportions of organic derivations in sea water and their relation to the composition of plankton," In James Johnstone Memorial Volume, University Press of Liverpool, pp. 177-192(1934).
- Water quality and ecosystem conversation act, MOE(2014).
- Schindler, D. W., "Evolution of phosphorus limitation in lakes," Science, 1995, 260-262(1977).
- Smith, V. H., "Predictive models for the biomass of blue green algae in lakes," Water Resour. Bullet., 21, 433-439(1985).
- Testing standard for water quality pollution process, MOE(2012).
- Furnas, M. J., "In situ growth rates of marine phytoplankton : Approaches to measurement, community and species growth rates," J. Plankton Res., 12(6), 1117-1151(1990). https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/12.6.1117
- Waterman, F., Hillebrand, H., Gerdes, G., Krumbein, W. E. and Sommer, U., "Competition between benthic cyanobacteria and diatoms as influenced by different grain sizes and temperatures," Mar. Ecol. Prog. Series, 87, 77-87(1999).
- Downing, J. A., Watson, S. B. and McCauley, E., "Predicting cyanobacteria dominance in lakes," Can. J. Fish Aquat. Sci., 58, 1905-1908(2001). https://doi.org/10.1139/f01-143
- Robarts, R. D. and Zohary, T., "Temperature effects on photosynthetic capacity, respiration, and growth rates of bloomforming cyanobacteria," New Zealand J. Mar. Freshwater Res., 21, 391-399(1987). https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330.1987.9516235
- You, K. A., Byeon, M. S., Youn, S. J., Hwang, S. J. and Rhew, D. H., "Growth Characteristics of Blue green Algae (Anabaena spiroides) Causing Tastes and Odors in the North Han River," KJEE, 46(1), 135-144(2013). https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2013.46.1.135
- Van Liere, L. and Walsby, A. E., "Interactions of cyanobacteria with light," In: N.G. Carr and B. A. Whitton. Eds. The Biology of the Cyanobacteria, Blackwell Science Publications, Oxford, pp. 9-45(1982).
- Reynolds, C. S., "The Ecology of Freshwater Phytoplankton," Cambridge University Press, UK, 384(1984).
- Smith, V. H., "Low nitrogen to phosphorus ratios favor dominance by blue-green algae in lake phytoplankton," Science, 221(4611), 669-671(1983). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.221.4611.669
- Xie, L., Xie, P., Li, S., Tang, H. and Liu, H., "The low TN: TP ratio, a cause or a result of microcystis blooms?," Water Res., 37, 2073-2080(2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(02)00532-8
- Amano, Y., Machida, M., Tatsumoto, H., George, D., Berk, S. and Taki, K., "prediction of microcystis blooms based on TN:TP ratio and lake origin," Sci. World J., 8, 558-572(2008). https://doi.org/10.1100/tsw.2008.89
- The Evaluation of Water Quality Using a Multivariate Analysis in Changnyeong-Haman weir section vol.29, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11001/jksww.2015.29.6.625
- Characterization of Water Quality in Changnyeong-Haman Weir Section Using Statistical Analyses vol.38, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2016.38.2.71