- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Motivating Underserved Vietnamese Americans to Obtain Colorectal Cancer Screening: Evaluation of a Culturally Tailored DVD Intervention
- Lee, Hee Yun ;
- Tran, Marie ;
- Jin, Seok Won ;
- Bliss, Robin ;
- Yeazel, Mark
- Published : 2014.02.28
Background: Colorectal cancer (CRC) is a leading cause of cancer death among Vietnamese Americans, yet screening remains underutilized. We investigated the effectiveness of a culturally tailored DVD intervention in promoting CRC screening among unscreened Vietnamese Americans age 50 and over. Materials and Methods: Using a community-based participatory research approach, we conducted a trial comparing twenty-eight subjects who received a mailed DVD in Vietnamese, with twenty-eight subjects who received a mailed brochure in Vietnamese. Subjects completed telephone surveys at baseline, One-month, and one-year. The primary outcome was receipt of screening. Secondary measures were participants' knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs about CRC screening. Two focus groups explored the intervention's acceptability and effectiveness. Results: At one year, CRC screening rates of 57.1% and 42.9% were observed in experimental and control group respectively (p=0.42), Subjects in both groups showed increased knowledge about CRC after one month. Focus group findings revealed that the DVD was an effective method of communicating information and would help promote screening. Conclusions: The findings suggest that culturally tailored, linguistically appropriate content is more important than the type of media used. This relatively low intensity, low cost intervention utilizing a DVD can be another useful method for outreach to the often hard-to-reach unscreened population.
Colorectal cancer;screening;FOBT;colonoscopy;culture;health disparity;Vietnamese American
- Walsh J, Nguyen T, Nguyen L, Pasick R, McPhee SJ (2009). Healthy colon, healthy life (Ruot Lanh, Song Khoe): Patient and physician factors associated with colorectal cancer screening among Vietnamese Americans in a county medical care system.J Health Care Poor Underserved, 20, 74-89.
- Walsh JME, Salazar R, Nguyen TT, et al (2010). Healthy Colon, Healthy Life: A novel colorectal cancer screening intervention. Am J Prev Med, 39, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2010.02.020
- Wu T-Y, Kao JY, Hsieh H-F, et al (2010). Effective colorectal cancer education for Asian Americans: A Michigan Program. J Cancer Educ, 25, 146-52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-009-0009-x
- Tu S-P, Yip M-P, Li L, et al (2010). Continuity of care and colorectal cancer screening by Vietnamese American Patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1125-31.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. (2008). The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation on screening for colorectal cancer, http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspscolo.htm
- Walsh JME, Kaplan CP, Nguyen B, et al (2004). Barriers to colorectal cancer screening in Latino and Vietnamese Americans. J Gen Inter Med, 19, 156-66. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.30263.x
- Maxwell AE, Crespi CM (2009).Trends in colorectal cancer screening utilization among ethnic groups in California: Are we closing the gap? Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 752-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-0608
- Kandula NR, Wen M, Jacobs EA, Lauderdale DS (2006). Low rates of colorectal, cervical, and breast cancer screening in Asian Americans compared with Non-Hispanic Whites: Cultural influences or access to care? Cancer, 107, 184-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21968
- Klabunde CN, Cronin KA, Breen N, et al (2011). Trends in colorectal cancer test use among vulnerable populations in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers Prev, 20, 1611-21. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-11-0220
- Lee HY, Lundquist M, Ju ES, Liu X, Townsend A (2011). Colorectal cancer screening disparities in Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders: Which groups are the most vulnerable? Ethnicity Health, 16, 501-18. https://doi.org/10.1080/13557858.2011.575219
- Maxwell AE, Crespi CM, Antonio CM, Lu P (2010). Explaining disparities in colorectal cancer screening among five Asian ethnic groups: A population-based study in California. BioMed Central Cancer, 10, 1-9.
- Nguyen TT, McPhee SJ, Bui-Tong N, et al (2006). Communitybased participatory research increases cervical cancer screening among Vietnamese-Americans. J Health Care Poor Underserved, 17, 31-54. https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2006.0091
- Nguyen BH, Mcphee SJ, Stewart SL, Doan HT (2008). Colorectal cancer screening in Vietnamese Americans. J Cancer Educ, 23, 37-45. https://doi.org/10.1080/08858190701849395
- Nguyen BH, McPhee SJ, Stewart SL, Doan HT (2010). Effectiveness of a controlled trial to promote colorectal cancer screening in Vietnamese Americans. Am J Public Hlth, 100, 870-6. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.166231
- Phillips KA, Liang S-Y, Haas J, et al (2007). Trends in colonoscopy for colorectal cancer screening. Med Care, 45, 160-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mlr.0000246612.35245.21
- Stata Corporation (2009). Stata Statistical Software: Release 11. College Station, TX.
- American Cancer Society (2010). 2010 Strategic Plan Progress Report, http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@nho/ documents/document/acspc-026910.pdf
- Choe JH, Koepsell TD, Heagerty PJ, Taylor VM (2005). Colorectal cancer among Asian and Pacific Islanders in the U.S.: Survival disadvantage for the foreign-born. Cancer Detect Prevent, 29, 361-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2005.06.002
- Cockburn M, Deapen M (Eds.). (2004). Cancer incidence and mortality in California: Trends by race/ethnicity, 1988- 2001. Los Angeles, CA: Los Angeles Surveillance Program, University of California.
- Department of Health and Human Services (2010). Healthy People 2020: Cancer Objectives. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Effectiveness of three interventions to improve participation in colorectal cancer screening vol.108, pp.1130-0108, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17235/reed.2016.4048/2015
- Decline in Cancer Screening in Vulnerable Populations? Results of the EDIFICE Surveys vol.20, pp.S1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11912-017-0649-7