- Volume 36 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Bone Induction by Demineralized Dentin Matrix in Nude Mouse Muscles
- Kim, Kyung-Wook (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dankook University College of Dentistry)
- Received : 2014.02.03
- Accepted : 2014.02.17
- Published : 2014.03.31
Purpose: This study examined the osteoinductive activity of demineralized human dentin matrix for nude mice. Methods: Twenty healthy nude mice weighing about 15 to 20 g were used for study. Demineralized human dentin matrix was prepared and implanted into the dorsal portion of nude mice (subcutaneous), which were sacrificed at two, four, and eight weeks after demineralized dentin matrix grafting and evaluated histologically by H&E and Masson trichrome staining. The specimens were also evaluated histomorphometrically. Results: The demineralized dentin matrix induced bone and cartilage formation independently in soft tissues. Histological examination showed bone-forming cells such as osteoblasts and fibroblasts at two, four, and eight weeks. Conclusion: These results suggest that demineralized human dentin matrix has osteoinductive ability, and is a good alternative to autogenous bone graft materials.
Supported by : Dankook university
- Hiatt WH, Schallhorn RG. Intraoral transplants of cancellous bone and marrow in periodontal lesions. J Periodontol 1973;44:194-208. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1922.214.171.124
- Ellegaard B, Karring T, Davies R, Loe H. New attachment after treatment of intrabony defects in monkeys. J Periodontol 1974;45:368-77. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.199.368
- Schallhorn RG. Present status of osseous grafting procedures. J Periodontol 1977;48:570-6. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.520
- Quattlebaum JB, Mellonig JT, Hensel NF. Antigenicity of freeze-dried cortical bone allograft in human periodontal osseous defects. J Periodontol 1988;59:394-7. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19184.108.40.2064
- Schwartz Z, Mellonig JT, Carnes DL Jr, et al. Ability of commercial demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft to induce new bone formation. J Periodontol 1996;67:918-26. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19220.127.116.118
- Sogal A, Tofe AJ. Risk assessment of bovine spongiform encephalopathy transmission through bone graft material derived from bovine bone used for dental applications. J Periodontol 1999;70:1053-63. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1918.104.22.1683
- Han T, Carranza FA Jr, Kenney EB. Calcium phosphate ceramics in dentistry: a review of the literature. J West Soc Periodontol Periodontal Abstr 1984;32:88-108.
- Urist MR. Bone: formation by autoinduction. Science 1965;150:893-9. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.150.3698.893
- Yeomans JD, Urist MR. Bone induction by decalcified dentine implanted into oral, osseous and muscle tissues. Arch Oral Biol 1967;12:999-1008. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9969(67)90095-7
- Bang G, Urist MR. Bone induction in excavation chambers in matrix of decalcified dentin. Arch Surg 1967;94:781-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.1967.01330120035008
- Choung PH, inventor. Method for extracting tooth protein from extracted tooth. Korea patent KR 1020020008789. 2002 Feb 19.
- Murata M, Akazawa T, Takahata M, et al. Bone induction of human tooth and bone crushed by newly developed automatic mill. J Ceram Soc JPN 2010; 118:434-7. https://doi.org/10.2109/jcersj2.118.434
- Kim YK, Kim SG, Byeon JH, et al. Development of a novel bone grafting material using autogenous teeth. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2010;109:496-503. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2009.10.017
- Kim GW, Yeo IS, Kim SG, Um IW, Kim YK. Analysis of crystalline structure of autogenous tooth bone graft material: X-Ray diffraction analysis. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011;37:225-8. https://doi.org/10.5125/jkaoms.2011.37.3.225
- Bessho K, Tagawa T, Murata M. Purification of rabbit bone morphogenetic protein derived from bone, dentin, and wound tissue after tooth extraction. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1990;48:162-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-2391(10)80204-6
- Kim, HC, Murata M, Akazawa T. Bone induction of human particulated demineralized dentin matrix in nude mice. J Dent Implant Res 2011;30:9-15.
- Gomes MF, Abreu PP, Morosolli AR, Araújo MM, Goulart M. Densitometric analysis of the autogenous demineralized dentin matrix on the dental socket wound healing process in humans. Braz Oral Res 2006;20:324-30.
- Katagiri T, Takahashi N. Regulatory mechanisms of osteoblast and osteoclast differentiation. Oral Dis 2002;8:147-59. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1601-0825.2002.01829.x
- Lynch SE, Genco RJ, Marx RE, editors. Tissue engineering: applications in maxillofacial surgery and periodontics. Chicargo (IL): Quitessence Publishing Group; 1999.
- Frost HM, editor. Bone remodelling dynamics. Springfield (IL): Thomas CC; 1963.
- Frost HM, editor. Intermediary organization of the skeleton. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press; 1986.
- Robling AG, Castillo AB, Turner CH. Biomechanical and molecular regulation of bone remodeling. Annu Rev Biomed Eng 2006;8:455-98. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.bioeng.8.061505.095721
- Canalis E, Economides AN, Gazzerro E. Bone morphogenetic proteins, their antagonists, and the skeleton. Endocr Rev 2003;24:218-35. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2002-0023
- Mulliken JB, Glowacki J. Induced osteogenesis for repair and construction in the craniofacial region. Plast Reconstr Surg 1980;65:553-60. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006534-198005000-00001
- Kaban LB, Mulliken JB, Glowacki J. Treatment of jaw defects with demineralized bone implants. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1982;40:623-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-2391(82)90109-4
- Einhorn TA, Lane JM, Burstein AH, Kopman CR, Vigorita VJ. The healing of segmental bone defects induced by demineralized bone matrix. A radiographic and biomechanical study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1984;66:274-9. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198466020-00015
- Kim HJ, Choi SM, Ku Y, et al. The effect of rhBMP-2 on the osteoblastic differentiation of human periodontal ligament cells and gingival fibroblasts in vitro. J Korean Acad Periodontol 2002;32:389-401. https://doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2002.32.2.389
- Gao J, Symons AL, Bartold PM. Expression of transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGF-beta1) in the developing periodontium of rats. J Dent Res 1998;77:1708-16. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345980770090701
- Saygin NE, Tokiyasu Y, Giannobile WV, Somerman MJ. Growth factors regulate expression of mineral associated genes in cementoblasts. J Periodontol 2000;71:1591-600. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2000.71.10.1591
- Gomes MF, dos Anjos MJ, Nogueira Tde O, Catanzaro Guimaraes SA. Autogenous demineralized dentin matrix for tissue engineering applications: radiographic and histomorphometric studies. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2002;17:488-97.
- Demineralized Dentin Matrix as a Carrier of Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenetic Proteins: in Vivo Study vol.27, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.2485/jhtb.27.219