- Volume 23 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Variations of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrient Flux through the Seomjin River Estuary
섬진강 하구를 통한 용존무기영양염 유출량 변동
Park, Mi-Ok;Lee, Jae-Seong;Kim, Seong-Soo;Kim, Seong-Gil;Lee, Suk-Mo;Lee, Yong-Woo
- Received : 2013.10.15
- Accepted : 2014.04.28
- Published : 2014.06.30
We investigated the spatiotemporal variations of dissolved inorganic nutrients along a saline gradient to estimate nutrient fluxes in the Seomjin River estuary during dry (March 2005, March 2006, March 2007, and March 2008) and rainy seasons (August 2005, July 2006, July 2007, and July 2008). Dissolved inorganic nitrogen concentrations were similar in the endmembers of freshwater for the rainy and dry seasons. In contrast, the concentrations of dissolved inorganic phosphate and silicate in the rainy season were approximately 2-3 times higher than those in the dry season. River discharge was approximately 10 times higher in the rainy season (
Seomjin River estuary;Nutrient flux;Nutrient;River discharge
- Lebo, M. E., Sharp, J. H., 1992, Modeling phosphorus cycling in a well-mixed coastal plain estuary, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 35, 235-252. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7714(05)80046-0
- Kim, T. J., 1992, Sorption behaviour of radium isotopes and nutrient fluxes in the Seomjin estuary of Korea, during high river discharge, Master thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- Park, M. O., Kim, S. S., Kim, S. G., Kwon, J., Lee, S. M., Lee, Y. W., 2012, Factors controlling temporalspatial variations of marine environment in the Seomjin River estuary through 25-hour continuous monitoring, J. Korean Mar. Enviro. Energy, 15, 314-322.
- Sanders, R. J., Jickells, T., Malcolm, S., Brown, J., Kirkwood, D., Reeve, A., Taylor, J., Horrobin, T., Ashcroft, C., 1997, Nutrient fluxes through the Humber estuary, J. Sea Res., 37, 3-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1385-1101(96)00002-0
- Sharp, J. H., Culberson, C. H., Church, T. M., 1982, The chemistry of the Delaware estuary, General considerations, Limnol. Oceanogr., 27, 1015-1028. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.19126.96.36.1995
- Wollast, R., de Broeu, F., 1971, Study of the behavior of dissolved silica in the estuary of the Scheldt, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 35, 613-620. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(71)90091-3
- Kwon, K. Y., Moon, C. H., Kang, C. K., Kim, Y. N., 2002, Distribution of particulate organic matters along the salinity gradients in the Seomjin River estuary, J. Korean Fish. Soc., 35, 86-96. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2002.35.1.086
- Kwon, K. Y., Moon, C. H., Lee, J. S., Yang, S. R., Park, M. O., Lee, P. Y., 2004, Estuarine behavior and flux of nutrients in the Seomjin River estuary, J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 9, 153-163.
- Lebo, M. E., Sharp, J. H., Cifuentes, L. A., 1994, Contribution of river phosphate variations to apparent reactivity estimated from phosphate-salinity diagrams, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 39, 583-594. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7714(06)80011-9
- Liu, S. M., Hong, G. H., Zhang, J., Ye, X. W., Jiang, X. L., 2009, Nutrient budgets for large Chinese estuaries, Biogeosciences, 6, 2245-2263. https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-6-2245-2009
- McCarthy, J. J., Taylor, W. R., Taft, J. L., 1977, Nitrogenous nutrition of the plankton in the Chesapeake Bay. 1. Nutrient availability and phytoplankton preferences, Limnol. Oceanogr., 22, 996-1011. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1977.22.6.0996
- MCT, 2005, Annual hydrological report on Korea, Ministry of Construction & Transportation.
- MCT, 2006, Annual hydrological report on Korea, Ministry of Construction & Transportation.
- MLTMA, 2007, Annual hydrological report on Korea, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs.
- MLTMA, 2008, Annual hydrological report on Korea, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs.
- MMAF, 2005, Standard methods of marine environment in Korea, Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries.
- Officer, C. B., 1979, Discussion of the behaviour of nonconservative dissolved constituents in estuaries, Est. Coast. Mar. Sci., 9, 91-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/0302-3524(79)90009-4
- Boyle, E., Collier, R., Dengler, A. T., Edmond, J. M., Ng, A. C., Stallard, R. F., 1974, On the chemical mass-balance in estuaries, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 38, 1719-1728. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(74)90188-4
- Bale, A. J., Morris, A. W., 1981, Laboratory simulation of chemical processes induced by estuarine mixing : The behaviour of iron and phosphate in estuaries, Est. Coast. Shelf Sci., 13, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0302-3524(81)80101-6
- Balls, P. W., 1992, Nutrient behaviour in two contrasting Scottish estuaries, the Forth and Tay, Oceanol. Acta, 15, 261-277.
- Billen, G., Somville, M., de Becker, E., Servais, P., 1985, A nitrogen budget of the Scheldt hydro- graphical basin, Neth. J. Sea Res., 19, 223-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/0077-7579(85)90027-4
- Carpenter, E. J., Remsen, C. C., Watson, S. W., 1972, Utilization of urea by some marine phytoplankters, Limnol. Oceanogr., 17, 265-269. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1972.17.2.0265
- Chester, R., 2000, Marine Geochemistry, Blackwell Science.
- Church, T. M., 1996, An underground route for the water cycle, Nature, 380, 579-580. https://doi.org/10.1038/380579a0
- Dortch, Q., 1990. The interaction between ammonium and nitrate uptake in phytoplankton, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 61, 183-201. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps061183
- Edmond, J. M., Spivack, A., Grant, B.C., Ming-Hui, H., Zexiam, C., Sung, C., Xiushau, Z., 1985, Chemical dynamics of the Changjiang estuary, Continental Shelf Res., 4, 17-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-4343(85)90019-6
- Kaul, L. W., Froelich Jr., P. N., 1984, Modeling estuarine nutrient geochemistry in a simple system, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 48, 1417-1433. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(84)90399-5
- KEI, 2005, Development of sustainable estuary management strategy in Korea II, Korea Environment Institute.
- Kim, D. H., Park, Y. C., Lee, H. J., Son, J. W., 2004, Characteristics of geochemical processes along the salinity gradient in the Han River Estuary, J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 9, 196-203.
Supported by : 해양수산부