- Volume 23 Issue 6
Ulsan made its contributions to modern Korea as an industrial city. In the 1960s, Ulsan was appointed as a special industrial zone. After that, industrial complexes were built without environmental considerations so Ulsan was once called "the polluted city". However, in the early 2000s, the main concern of Ulsan's policies was gradually shifted from the economic growth to the environmental issues. In order to enhance the environmental quality and to make the Ulsan more environmentally friendly eco-city where human and nature coexist, Ulsan city declared "The Eco-polis Ulsan" in 2004 based on "The Master Plan for Eco-polis Ulsan" which included the eco-industrial park as an action plan. This study aims at defining the concepts of eco-city and policies to build Ulsan-style eco-city as environmentally friendly city and proposing Ulsan as a role model to cities and towns of developing countries. In addition, Ulsan's EIP project which will be implemented for 15 years from 2005, is elaborated including regulatory issues and technologies to be applied.
Industrial city;Polluted city;Eco-city;Eco-polis ulsan;EIP
- Byun, B. S., 2005, Sustainable eco-city planning, The geographical journal of Korea, 39(4), 491-500.
- Gorden, D., 1990, Green cities ; ecologically sound approaches to urban space, Montreal: Black Rose Books.
- Haughton, G., Hunter, C., 1990, Sustainable city, Melksham, Cromwell Press. 86-88
- Howard, E., 1986, Introduction to the garden city, Cambridge, MIT Press. 45-47
- Kim, C. S., 2000, A study on developing the eco-polis indicators. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Kyungnam.
- Kim, C. S., 2001, A study on the ways of eco polis development programs in Korea, Public Administration Review, 35(3), 21-48.
- Presidential commission on sustainable development report material (PCSD), 2003.
- Ulsan Development Institute(UDI), 2004, Ecopolis Ulsan Plan. 21-50
- Ulsan eco-industrial park media public relation reference, (UEP), (Ulsan EIP Agency), 2013.
- Ulsan metropolitan city (UMC), 2010, 2-level eco-polis Ulsan plan establishment, 138-143.
- Ulsan metropolitan city (UMC), 2013, Inside report material. 1-10