- Volume 23 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Size and Species Composition of Phytoplankton Related to Anthropogenic Environmental Changes in Doam Bay
인위적 담수 유입에 의한 도암만의 환경변화와 식물플랑크톤 변동
Yang, Eeng-Ryul;Jeong, Byung-Kwan;Lee, Eo-Jin;Ryu, Dong-Ki;Shin, Yong-Sik
- Received : 2014.03.19
- Accepted : 2014.06.02
- Published : 2014.06.30
Doam Bay is an estuary where harmful algal blooms (HABs) such as red tides develop frequently in summer. The bay also is influenced by freshwater inflow from Tamjin River in upper regions as well as from an artificial lake in lower regions. Phytoplankton size and species composition were investigated at six stations located in the lower regions in April, June and July, 2007. Physical properties (temperature, salinity and SS) were intensively measured for 3 days (5 occasions) after the freshwater discharges from the dike. The freshwater discharge affected temperature, salinity and turbidity in the study sites adjacent to the freshwater lake. Phytoplankton biomass was larger in April than June and it increased more in July. An explicit shift of species composition was observed. Diatoms were dominant in April and June (>70%) whereas their abundances greatly decreased and chlorophytes increased in July. Pseudo-nitzschia sp. was dominant at all stations (except St. 2) and this change was also detected in ecological indices such as diversity and dominance index.
Phytoplankton;Size structure;Doam Bay;Freshwater inputs
- Lee, Y.S., 2002, An influence of inflowing freshwater on the diatom blooms in the Eastern Coast of Dolsan, Yosu, Korea, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 24, 477-488.
- Jeong, B., 2008, An investigation of dischnrge effect and phytoplankton distribution in the Yeongsan Estuary, Master's Thesis, Mokpo National Maritime University, Mokpo.
- Kemp, W.M., Boynton, W., 1981, External and internal factors regulating metabolic rates of an estuarine benthic community, Oecologia, 51, 19-27. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00344646
- Kwon, K.-Y., Kim, J.-K., Hong, G.-E., Seong, K.-B., Lee, C.-H., Moon, C.-H., 2005, Variation of phytoplankton and nutrients in the Namdaechon Estuary, Korea, J. Kor. Fish. Soc., 38, 55-64. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2005.38.1.055
- Lehrter, J.C., 2008, Regulation of eutrophication susceptibility in oligohaline regions of a Northern Gulf of Mexico Estuary, Mobile Bay, Alabama, Mar. Pollut. Bull., 56, 1446-1460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2008.04.047
- Ludwing, J.A., Reynolds, J.F., 1988, Statistical ecology : A primer on methods and computing, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Malone, T.C., Chervin, M.B., 1979, The production and fate of phytoplankton size fractions in the plume of the Hudson River, New York Bight, Limnol. Oceanogr., 24, 683-696. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1979.24.4.0683
- Margalef, R., 1958, Information theory in ecology, Gen. Syst., 3, 36-71.
- McNaughton, S.J., 1977, Diversity and stability of ecological communities: A comment on the role of empiricism in ecology, Am. Nat., 111, 515-525. https://doi.org/10.1086/283181
- MOF, 2007, Marine Standard Method, Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, In Korean.
- Murrell, M.C., Hagy, J.D., III, Lores, E.M., Greene, R.M., 2007, Phytoplankton production and nutrient distributions in a sub-tropical estuary: Importance of freshwater flow, Estuaries Coast., 30, 390-402. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02819386
- Parsons, T.R., LeBrasseur, R.J., 1970, The availability of food to different trophic levels in the marine food chain, Limnol. Oceanogr., 21, 325-343.
- Courrat, A., Lobry, J., Nicolas, D., Laffargue, P., Amara, R., Lepage, M., Girardin, M., Le Pape, O., 2009, Anthropogenic disturbance on nursery function of estuarine areas for marine species, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 81, 179-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2008.10.017
- Cermeno, P., Maranon, E., Perez, V., Serret, P., Fernandez, E., Castro, C.G., 2006, Phytoplankton size structure and primary production in a highly dynamic coastal ecosystem (Ria de Vigo, NW-Spain): Seasonal and short-time scale variability, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 67, 251-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2005.11.027
- Cloern, J.E., 1991, Tidal stirring and phytoplankton bloom dynamics in an estuary, J. Mar. Res., 49, 203-221. https://doi.org/10.1357/002224091784968611
- Cloern, J.E., Powell, T.M., Huzzey, L.M., 1989, Spatial and temporal variability in South San Francisco Bay (USA). II. Temporal changes in salinity, suspended sediments, and phytoplankton biomass and productivity over tidal time scales, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 28, 599-613. https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7714(89)90049-8
- Fehling, J., Davidson, K., Bolch, C., Tett, P., 2006, Seasonality of Pseudo-nitzschia spp. (Bacillariophyceae) in Western Scottish waters, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 323, 91-105. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps323091
- Fisher, T.R., Harding Jr, L.W., Stanley, D.W., Ward, L.G., 1988, Phytoplankton, nutrients, and turbidity in the Chesapeake, Delaware, and Hudson Estuaries, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 27, 61-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7714(88)90032-7
- Harper, D., 1992, Eutrophication of freshwater: principles, problems and restoration, Chapman and Hall, London, 2, 329.
- Hein, M., Foldager Pedersen, M., Sand-Jensen, K., 1995, Size-dependent nitrogen uptake in micro- and macroalgae, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 118, 247-253. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps118247
- Hong, J., Jung, R., Seo, I., Yoon, K., Choi, B., Yoo, J., 1997, How are the spatio-temporal distribution patterns of benthic macrofaunal communities affected by the construction of Shihwa dike in the west coast of Korea?, J. Kor. Fish. Soc., 30, 882-895.
- Hummel, H., Fortuin, A., Bogaards, R., Meijboom, A., Wolf, L., 1994, The effects of prolonged emersion and submersion by tidal manipulation on marine macrobenthos, Hydrobiologia, 282-283, 219-234. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00024632
- Whittaker, R.H., 1972, Evolution and measurement of species diversity, Taxon, 21, 213-251. https://doi.org/10.2307/1218190
- Aizdaicher, N.A., Markina, Z.V., 2010, The effect of decrease in salinity on the dynamics of abundance and the cell size of Corethron Hystrix (Bacillariophyta) in laboratory culture, Ocean Sci. J., 45, 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12601-010-0001-8
- Arndt, S., Vanderborght, J.P., Regnier, P., 2007, Diatom growth response to physical forcing in a macrotidal estuary: Coupling hydrodynamics, sediment transport, and biogeochemistry, J. Geophys. Res., 112, C05045.
- Bates, S.S., 2000, Domoic-acid-producing diatoms: Another genus added!, J. Phycol., 36, 978-983. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1529-8817.2000.03661.x
- Tilman, D., Downing, J.A., 1994, Biodiversity and stability in grasslands, Nature, 367, 363-365. https://doi.org/10.1038/367363a0
- Walsh, J.J., 1976, Herbivory as a factor in patterns of nutrient utilization in the sea, Limnol. Oceanogr., 21, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1976.21.1.0001
- Yang, E., 2009, An effect of freshwater discharge on the phytoplankton size-structure and dynamics in coastal area, Master's Thesis, Mokpo National Maritime University, Mokpo.
- Yang, S.R., Song, H.S., Moon, C.H., Kwon, K.Y., Yang, H.S., 2001, Changes in marine environment and primary production due to freshwater input in the Nakdong Estuary, Algae, 16, 165-177.
- Samuelsson, K., Berglund, J., Haecky, P., Andersson, A., 2002, Structural changes in an aquatic microbial food web caused by inorganic nutrient addition, Aquat. Microb. Ecol., 29, 29-38. https://doi.org/10.3354/ame029029
- Pimm, S.L., 1984, The complexity and stability of ecosystems, Nature, 307, 321-326. https://doi.org/10.1038/307321a0
- Ponti, M., Casselli, C., Abbiati, M., 2011, Anthropogenic disturbance and spatial heterogeneity of macrobenthic invertebrate assemblages in coastal lagoons: The study case of Pialassa Baiona (Northern Adriatic Sea), Helgol. Mar. Res., 65, 25-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10152-010-0197-0
- Ryther, W.S., 1969, Photosynthesis and fish production in the sea, Science, 166, 72-76. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.166.3901.72
- Shin, J.-K., 2003, Seasonal dynamics of aquatic environment and phytoplankton in Pyeongtaek Reservoir, Korea, Algae, 18, 145-156. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2003.18.2.145
- Simpson, E.H., 1949, Measurement of diversity, Nature, 163, 688. https://doi.org/10.1038/163688a0
- Sin, Y., Hyun, B., Bach, Q., Yang, S., Park, C., 2012, Phytoplankton size and taxonomic composition in a temperate estuary influenced by monsoon, Estuaries Coast., 35, 839-852. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12237-011-9470-y
- Sin, Y., Hyun, B., Jeong, B., Soh, H., 2013, Impacts of eutrophic freshwater inputs on water quality and phytoplankton size structure in a temperate estuary altered by a sea dike, Mar. Environ. Res., 85, 54-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2013.01.001
- Sin, Y., Wetzel, R.L., Anderson, I.C., 2000, Seasonal variations of size-fractionated phytoplankton along the salinity gradient in the York River estuary, Virginia (USA), J. Plankton Res., 22, 1945-1960. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/22.10.1945
- Sundback, K., Jonsson, B., Nilsson, P., Lindstrom, I., 1990, Impact of accumulating drifting macroalgae on a shallow-water sediment system: an experimental study, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 58, 261-274.
- Thessen, A.E., Dortch, Q., Parsons, M.L., Morrison, W., 2005, Effect of salinity on Pseudo-Nitzschia species(Bacillariophyceae) growth and distribution, J. Phycol., 41, 21-29. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-8817.2005.04077.x
- Tilman, D., 2000, Causes, consequences and ethics of biodiversity, Nature, 405, 208-211. https://doi.org/10.1038/35012217