- Volume 27 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Ileal Endogenous Amino Acid Flow Response to Nitrogen-free Diets with Differing Ratios of Corn Starch to Dextrose in Pigs
- Kong, C. (Department of Animal Sciences, Purdue University) ;
- Ragland, D. (Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Purdue University) ;
- Adeola, O. (Department of Animal Sciences, Purdue University)
- Received : 2014.03.31
- Accepted : 2014.05.11
- Published : 2014.08.01
The objective of this study was to determine the responses in the digestibility of dry matter (DM) and amino acid (AA) composition of ileal endogenous flow (IEF) of pigs (initial body weight,
Ileal Digestibility;Basal Endogenous Amino Acid Loss;Swine
- Zhang, Y., D. Li, S. Fan, X. Piao, J. Wang, and I. K. Han. 2002. Effects of casein and protein-free diets on endogenous amino acid losses in pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci.15:1634-1638. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1634
- Lien, K. A., W. C. Sauer, and M. Fenton. 1997. Mucin output in ileal digesta of pigs fed a protein-free diet. Z. Ernahrungswiss. 36:182-190. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01611398
- Moughan, P. J. and S. M. Rutherfurd. 2012. Gut luminal endogenous protein: Implications for the determination of ileal amino acid digestibility in humans. Br. J. Nutr. 108:S258-S263. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114512002474
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Nyachoti, C. M., C. F. M. de Lange, B. W. McBride, and H. Schulze. 1997. Significance of endogenous gut nitrogen losses in the nutrition of growing pigs: A review. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 77:149-163. https://doi.org/10.4141/A96-044
- Park, C. S, S. I. Oh, and B. G. Kim. 2013. Prediction of basal endogenous losses of amino acids based on body weight and feed intake in pigs fed nitrogen-free diets. Rev. Colomb. Cienc. Pecu. 26:186-192.
- Rothman, S., C. Liebow, and L. Isenman. 2002. Conservation of digestive enzymes. Physiol. Rev. 82:1-18. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00022.2001
- Stein, H. H., C. Pedersen, A. R. Wirt, and R. A. Bohlke. 2005. Additivity of values for apparent and standardized ileal digestibility of amino acids in mixed diets fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2387-2395.
- Stein, H. H., B. Seve, M. F. Fuller, P. J. Moughan, and C. F. M. de Lange. 2007. Invited review: Amino acid bioavailability and digestibility in pig feed ingredients: Terminology and application. J. Anim. Sci. 85:172-180. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-742
- Wilfart, A., L. Montagne, H. Simmins, J. Noblet, and J. van Milgen. 2007. Digesta transit in different segments of the gastrointestinal tract of pigs as affected by insoluble fibre supplied by wheat bran. Br. J. Nutr. 98:54-62. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114507682981
- Zhai, H. and O. Adeola. 2011. Apparent and standardized ileal digestibilities of amino acids for pigs fed corn- and soybean meal-based diets at varying crude protein levels. J. Anim. Sci. 89:3626-3633. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3732
- de Lange, C. F. M., W. C. Saucer, R. Mosenthin, and W. B. Souffrant. 1989. The effect of feeding different protein-free amino acid composition of endogenous protein collected from the distal ileum and feces in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 67:746-754.
- Dilger, R. N., J. S. Sands, D. Ragland, and O. Adeola. 2004. Digestibility of nitrogen and amino acids in soybean meal with added soyhulls. J. Anim. Sci. 82:715-724.
- Fenton, T. W. and M. Fenton. 1979. An improved procedure for the determination of chromic oxide in feed and feces. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 59:631-634. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas79-081
- Hofmann, A. F., L. R. Hagey, and M. D. Krasowski. 2010. Bile salts of vertebrates: structural variation and possible evolutionary significance. J. Lipid Res. 51:226-246. https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.R000042
- Hughes, R. J. 2008. Relationship between digesta transit time and apparent metabolisable energy value of wheat in chickens. Br. Poult. Sci. 49:716-720. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660802449145
- Jansman, A. J. M., W. Smink, P. van Leeuwen, and M. Rademacher. 2002. Evaluation through literature data of the amount and amino acid composition of basal endogenous crude protein at the terminal ileum of pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 98:49-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(02)00015-9
- Kim, B. G., M. D. Lindemann, G. L. Cromwell, A. Balfagon, and J. H. Agudelo. 2007. The correlation between passage rate of digesta and dry matter digestibility in various stages of swine. Livest. Sci. 109:81-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.082
- Kong, C. and O. Adeola. 2013. Ileal endogenous amino acid flow response to nitrogen-free diets with differing ratios of corn starch to dextrose in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 92:1276-1282. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2012-02835
- Li, S. F., Y. B. Niu, J. S. Liu, L. Lu, L. Y. Zhang, C. Y. Ran, M. S. Feng, B. Du, J. L. Deng, and X. G. Luo. 2013. Energy, amino acid, and phosphorus digestibility of phytase transgenic corn for growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 91:298-308. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5211
- Adedokun, S. A., O. Adeola, C. M. Parsons, M. S. Lilburn, and T. J. Applegate. 2011. Factors affecting endogenous amino acid flow in chickens and the need for consistency in methodology. Poult. Sci. 90:1737-1748. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2010-01245
- AOAC. 2006. Official Methods of Analysis. 18th ed. Association Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Bennick, A. 1982. Salivary proline-rich proteins. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 45:83-99.
- Cozannet, P., Y. Primot, C. Gady, J. P. Metayer, P. Callu, M. Lessire, F. Skiba, and J. Noblet. 2010. Ileal digestibility of amino acids in wheat distillers dried grains with solubles for pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 158:177-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.04.009
- Corn Refiners Association. 2013. Corn starch. http://www.corn.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/StarchBook let2013.pdf. Accessed March 17, 2014.
- Evaluation of Amino Acid and Energy Utilization in Feedstuff for Swine and Poultry Diets vol.27, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.r.02
- Neutral detergent fiber increases endogenous ileal losses but has no effect on ileal digestibility of amino acids in growing pigs vol.88, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12633