- Volume 27 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Growth Performance and Behaviour in Grouped Pigs Fed Fibrous Diet
- Bakare, A.G. (Animal and Poultry Science, School of Agricultural, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal) ;
- Madzimure, J. (Chinhoyi University of Technology, Department of Animal Production and Technology) ;
- Ndou, S.P. (Animal and Poultry Science, School of Agricultural, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal) ;
- Chimonyo, M. (Animal and Poultry Science, School of Agricultural, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal)
- 투고 : 2013.12.02
- 심사 : 2014.02.25
- 발행 : 2014.08.01
The objective of the study was to investigate the effect of feeding fibrous diets on growth performance and occurrence of aggressive behaviours in growing pigs. Sixty healthy castrated pigs (initial body weight:
- AOAC. 2005. Official Methods of Analysis. 18th ed. Association of Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Barber, J., P. H. Brooks, and J. L. Carpenter. 1989. The effects of water delivery rate on the voluntary food intake, water use and performance of early-weaned pigs from 3 to 6 weeks of age. In: The Voluntary Feed Intake of Pigs (Eds. J. M. Forbes, M. A. Varley, and T. L. J. Lawrence). Occ. Pub. No. 13. British Society of Animal Production, Edinburgh, UK. pp. 103-104.
- Day, J. E., I. Kyriazakis, and A. B. Lawrence. 1996. The use of a second-order schedule to assess the effect of food bulk on the feeding motivation of growing pigs. Anim. Sci. 63:447-455. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800015344
- De Leeuw, J. A., J. J. Zonderland, H. Altena, H. A. M. Spoolder, A. W. Jongbloed, and M. W. A. Verstegen. 2005. Effects of levels and sources of dietary fermentable non-starch polysaccharides on blood glucose stability and behaviour of group-housed pregnant gilts. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 94:15-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2005.02.006
- Dybkjae r, L., A. P. Jacobsen, F. A. Togersen, and H. D. Poulsen. 2006. Eating and drinking activity of newly weaned piglets: Effects of individual characteristics, social mixing, and addition of extra zinc to the feed. J. Anim. Sci. 84:702-711.
- Kallabis, K. E. and O. Kaufmann. 2012. Effect of a high-fibre diet on the feeding behaviour of fattening pigs. Arch. Tierz. 55:272-284.
- Meiszberg, A. M., A. K. Johnson, L. J. Sadler, J. A. Carroll, J. W. Dailey, and N. Krebs. 2009. Drinking behavior in nursery pigs: Determining the accuracy between an automatic water meter versus human observers. J. Anim. Sci. 87:4173-4180. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1737
- Ndou, S. P. 2012. Prediction of gut capacity of weaner and finishing pigs using physicochemical measurements of bulkiness of fibrous feeds. MSc Thesis, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.
- Ndou, S. P., R. M. Gous, and M. Chimonyo. 2013. Prediction of scaled feed intake in weaner pigs using physicochemical properties of fibrous diets. Br. J. Nutr. 110:774-780. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114512005624
- Noblet, J. and J. M. Perez. 1993. Prediction of digestibility of nutrients and energy values of pig diets from chemical analysis. J. Anim. Sci. 71:3389-3398.
- Peterson, D. A. and B. R. Baumgardt. 1971. Food and energy intake of rats fed diets varying in energy concentration and density. J. Nutr. 101:1057-1068.
- Puppe, B. 1998. Effects of familiarity and relatedness on agonistic pair relationships in newly mixed domestic pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 58:233-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(98)00107-5
- Rijnen, M. M. J. A., M. W. A. Verstegen, M. J. W. Heetkamp, J. Haaksma, and J. W. Schrama. 2003. Effects of dietary fermentable carbohydrates on behavior and heat production in group-housed sows. J. Anim. Sci. 81:182-190.
- Robert, S., J. J. Matte, C. Farmer, C. L. Girard, and G. P. Martineau. 1993. High-fibre diets for sows: Effects on stereotypies and adjunctive drinking. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 37:297-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(93)90119-A
- Robertson, J. A. and M. A. Eastwood. 1981. A method to measure the water-holding properties of dietary fibre using suction pressure. Br. J. Nutr. 46:247. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19810030
- SAS. 2008. SAS User's Guide:Statistics, Version 9.1. SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Stukenborg, A., I. Traulsen, E. Stamer, B. Puppe, and J. Krieter. 2012. The use of a lesion score as an indicator for agonistic behaviour in pigs Arch. Tierz. 55:163-170.
- Turner, S. P., D. J. Allcroft, and S. A. Edward. 2003. Housing pigs in large social groups: a review of implications for performance and other economic traits. Livest. Prod. Sci. 82: 39-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(03)00008-3
- Turner, S. P., M. J. Farnworth, I. M. S. White, S. Brotherstone, M. Mendl, P. Knap, P. Penny, and A. B. Lawrence. 2006. The accumulation of skin lesions and their use as a predictor of individual aggressiveness in pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 96: 245-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2005.06.009
- Weber, T. E., C. J. Ziemer, and B. J. Kerr. 2008. Effects of adding fibrous feedstuffs to the diet of young pigs on growth performance, intestinal cytokines, and circulating acute-phase proteins. J. Anim. Sci. 86:871-881. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0330
- Whittaker, X., S. A. Edwards, H. A. Spoolder, A. B. Lawrence, and S. Corning. 1999. Effects of straw bedding and high fibre diets on the behaviour of floor fed group-housed sows. Appl. Anim. Behavior. Sci. 63:25-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(98)00243-3
- Whittemore, E. C., I. Kyriazakis, B. J. Tolkamp, and G. C. Emmans. 2002. The short-term feeding behaviour of growing pigs fed foods differing in bulk content. Physiol. Behav. 76: 131-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9384(02)00686-8
- Effects of environmental enrichment on behaviour, physiology and performance of pigs — A review vol.32, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0138