- Volume 27 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Ammonia and Carbon Dioxide Concentrations in a Layer House
- Kilic, Ilker (Biosystems Engineering Department, Agriculture Faculty, Uludag University) ;
- Yaslioglu, Erkan (Biosystems Engineering Department, Agriculture Faculty, Uludag University)
- Received : 2014.01.12
- Accepted : 2014.03.27
- Published : 2014.08.01
Higher concentrations of ammonia (
Ammonia;Carbon Dioxide;Concentration;Diurnal Pattern;Laying Hens Houses
- Simsek, E., I. Kilic, E. Yaslioglu, and I. Arici. 2012. Ammonia emissions from dairy cattle barns in summer season. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 11:2116-2120. https://doi.org/10.3923/javaa.2012.2116.2120
- Simsek, E., I. Kilic, E. Yaslioglu, and I. Arici. 2013. The effects of environmental conditions on concentration and emission of ammonia in chicken farms during summer season. Clean Soil, Air Water 41:955-962.
- Smith, R. A. 1998. Impact of disease on feedlot performance: A review. J. Anim. Sci. 76:272-274.
- Sommer, S. G., J. E. Olesen, and B. T. Christensen. 1991. Effects of temperature, wind speed and air humidity on ammonia volatilization from surface applied cattle slurry. J. Agric. Sci. 117:91-100. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600079016
- TUIK, 2013. The statistics of animal production in Turkey. www.tuik.gov.tr. Accessed November 1, 2013.
- Wang-Li, L., Q-F. Li, L. Chai, E. Cortus, K. Wang, I. Kilic, B. W. Bogan, J. Q. Ni, and A. J. Heber. 2013. The national air emission monitoring study's southeast layer site: Part III. Ammonia concentrations and emissions. Trans. ASABE 56: 1185-1197.
- Zhu, Z., H. Dong, Z. Zhou, H. Xin, and Y. Chen. 2011. Ammonia and greenhouse gases concentrations and emissions of a naturally ventilated laying hen house in Northeast China. Trans. ASABE 54:1085-1091. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.37100
- Groot Koerkamp, P. W. G., J. H. M. Metz, G. H. Uenk, V. R. Phillips, M. R. Holden, R. W. Sneath, J. L. Short, R. P. P. White, J. Hartung, J. Seedorf, M. Schroder, K. H. Linkert, S. Pederson, H. Takai, J. O. Johnsen, and C. M. Wathes. 1998. Concentrations and emissions of amonnia in livestock buildings in Northern Europe. J. Agric. Eng. Res. 70:79-95. https://doi.org/10.1006/jaer.1998.0275
- Kilic, I., A. J. Heber, K. Wang, L. Q. Wang, E. L. Cortus, and B. W. Bogan. 2011. Determining long term nitrogen mass balance for two commercial layer houses. In: ASABE 2011 International Annual Meeting, Kentucky, USA.
- Kilic, I. 2013. the investigation of legislations in the world about air pollutants from animal barns. Suleyman Demirel University Journal of the Faculty of Agriculture 8:111-120.
- Kocaman, B., N. Esenbuga, A. Yildiz, E. Lacin, and M. Macit. 2006. Effect of environmental conditions in poultry houses on the performance of laying hens. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 5:26-30. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2006.26.30
- Liang, Y., H. Xin, E. F. Wheeler, R. S. Gates, H. Li, J. S. Zajaczkowski, P. A. Topper, K. D. Casey, B. R. Behrends, D. J. Burnham, and F. J. Zajaczkowski. 2005. Ammonia emissions from U.S. laying hen houses in Iowa and Pennsylvania. Trans. ASAE 48:1927-1941. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.20002
- Lin, X. J., E. L. Cortus, R. Zhang, S. Jiang, and A. J. Heber. 2012. Ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, carbon dioxide and particulate matter emissions from California high-rise layer houses. Atmos. Environ. 46:81-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.10.021
- Nicholson, F. A., B. J. Chambers, and A. W. Walker. 2004. Ammonia emission from broiler litter and laying hen manure management systems. Biosyst. Eng. 89:175-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2004.06.006
- Redwine, J. S., R. E. Lacey, S. Mukhtar, and J. B. Carey. 2002.Concentration and emissions of ammonia and particulate matter in tunnel ventilated broiler houses under summer conditions in Texas. Trans. ASAE 45:1101-1109.
- Albright, L. D. 2000. Environment Control for Animals and Plants. ASAE Textbook Number 4. ASABE Press, Michigan, USA.
- Aneja, V. P., W. H. Schlesinger, D. Niyogi, G. Jennings, W. Gilliam, R. E. Knighton, C. S. Duke, J. Blunden, and S. Krishnan. 2006. Emerging national research needs for agricultural air quality. Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union 87:25-29.
- Arogo, J., P. W. Westerman, A. J. Heber, W. P. Robarge, and J. J. Classen. 2006. Ammonia emissions from animal feeding operations. In: Animal Agriculture and the Environment (Eds. J. M. Rice, D. F. Caldwell, and F. J. Humenik). ASABE, Michigan, USA. pp. 41-88.
- Atilgan, A., A. Coskan, H. Oz, and E. Isler. 2010. The vacuum system which is new approach to decrease ammonia level use in broiler housing in winter season. Kafkas Univ.Vet. Fak Derg. 16:257-262.
- Cheng W. H., M. S. Chou, and S. C. Tung. 2011. Gaseous ammonia emission from poultry facilities in Taiwan. Environ. Eng. Sci. 28:283-289. https://doi.org/10.1089/ees.2010.0205
- Dobeic, M. and S. Pintaric. 2011. Laying hen and pig livestock contribution to aerial pollution in Slovenia. Acta Vet. (Beogr) 61:283-293. https://doi.org/10.2298/AVB1103283D
- Fabbri, C., L. Vali, M. Guarino, A. Costa, and V. Mazotta. 2007. Ammonia, methane, nitrous oxide and particulate matter emissions from two different buildings for laying hens. Biosyst. Eng. 97:441-455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2007.03.036
- Gao Z., W. Ma, G. Zhu, and M. Roelcke. 2013. Estimating farmgate ammonia emissions from major animal production systems in China. Atmos. Environ. 79:20-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2013.06.025
- Green, A. R., I. Wesley, D. W. Trampel, and H. Xin. 2009. Air quality and bird health status in three types of commercial egg layer houses. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 18:605-621. https://doi.org/10.3382/japr.2007-00086
- Air pollution and their mitigation measures in Brazilian poultry production vol.10, pp.50, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5897/AJAR2015.10356
- Laying hens behave differently in artificially and naturally sourced ammoniated environments vol.96, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pex273
- Ammonia production in poultry houses can affect health of humans, birds, and the environment—techniques for its reduction during poultry production vol.25, pp.16, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-2018-y