- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of authentic leadership on organizational commitment for employees
진성리더십이 종업원의 직무만족 및 조직몰입에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Hong-Ki (Dept. of Business Management, Jungwon University College of Social Science)
- 이홍기 (중원대학교 인문사회과학대학 경영학과)
- Received : 2014.03.24
- Accepted : 2014.05.20
- Published : 2014.05.28
Authentic leadership emphasizes not only increases of production and profits but also establishment of morals and authentic in organizational management. In modern management theories, traditional so-called pseudo-leadership, which focuses on maximizing financial profits, are gradually diminishing as the importance of authentic leadership are widely accepted in various organizations. However, a few researches have focused on organizational outcome produced by authentic leadership. In this research, the relationship between authentic leadership and organizational commitment is examined in an endeavor to present the direction of leadership-related researches. Results include: first, the reliabilities of survey tools for authentic leadership, job commitment and organizational commitment were excellent using Cronbach's alpha; second, relationships between authentic leadership, job commitment and organizational commitment indicated positive correlations showing statistical significance in job commitment and organizational commitment; and finally, the relationship between job commitment and organizational commitment were positive by regression analysis.
- Avolio, B. J., Gardner, W. L., Walumbwa, F. O., Luthans, F., May, D. R., Unlocking the mask: A look at the process by which authentic leaders impact follower attitudes and behaviors. The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 15, pp. 801-823, 2004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2004.09.003
- Avolio, B. J., Luthans, F., Walumba, F. O., Authentic leadership: Theory building for veritable sustained performance. Working paper: Gallup leadership institute, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. 2004.
- Walumba, F. O., Avolio, B. J., Gardner, W. L., Wernsing, T., Peterson, S., Authentic Leadership: Development and validation of a theory-based measure. Journal of Management, Vol. 34, No.1, pp. 89-126, 2008
- Walumba, F. O., Wang, P., Wang, H., Schaubrocek, J., Avolio, B. J., Psychological processes linking authentic leadership to follower behaviors. The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 901-914, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2010.07.015
- Gardner, W., Avolio, B., Luthans, F., May, D., & Walumbwa, F., "Can you see the real me?" A self-based model of authentic leader and follower development. The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 343-372, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.003
- Zhu, W., Riggio, R., Avolio, B. J., Sosik, J. J., The effect of leadership on follower moral identity: Does transformational/transactional style make a difference?. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 150-163, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/1548051810396714
- Luthans, F., Avolio, B. J., Authentic leadership: A postive developmental approach. CA: Barrett-Koehler, 2003
- Fu, PP., Tsui, A. S., Liu, J., Li, L., Pursuit of whose happiness: CEO personal values and transformational leadership. Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 55, pp. 222-254, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2189/asqu.2010.55.2.222
- Price, T. L., The ethics of authentic transformational leadership. The Leadership Quartly, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 67-81, 2003 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00187-X
- Avolio, B. J., Gardnet, W. L., Authentic leadership development: Getting to the root of positive forms of leadership. The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 315-338, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.001
- Ga jin Kim, The effects of authentic leadership and charismatic leadership on leader's credibility and followers' well-being. M.S. dissertation, Ewha Womans University, 2011.
- Ilies, R., Morgeson, F. P., Nahrgang, J. D., Authentic leadership and eudaemonic well-being: Understanding leader-follower outcomes. Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 16, pp. 373-394, 2005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.002
- Kernis, M. H., Toward a conceptualization of optimal self-esteem. Psychological Inquiry, Vol. 14, pp. 1-26, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327965PLI1401_01
- Bennis, W., The end of leadership: Exemplary leadership is impossible without full inclusion, initiatives, and cooperation of followers. Organizational Dynamics, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 71-79, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-2616(00)80008-X
- Yammarinoa, F. J., Dionne, S. D., Schriesheim, C. A., Dansereau, F., Authentic leadership and positive organizational behavior: A meso, multi-level perspective. The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 693-707, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2008.09.004
- Walumba, F. O., Luthans, F., Avey, J. B., Oke, A., Authentically leading groups: The mediating role of collective psychological capital and trust. Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 4-24, 2011 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.653
- Peterson, S. J., Walumba, F. O., Avolio, B. J., Hannah, S. T., The relationship between authentic leadership and follower job performance: The mediating role of follower positivity in extreme contexts. The Leadership Quartly, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 502-516, 2012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2011.12.004
- Robbins, S. P., Organizational Behavior: Concepts, Controversies and Applications. Prentice-Hall, 1988.
- Mowday, R. T., Poter, L. W., Steers, R. M., Organizational Linkages : The Pstchology of Commitment, Absenteeism, and Turnover. CA: Academy Press, 1982.
- Meyer, J. P., Allen, N. J., A three-component conceptualization of organizational commitment. Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 61-89, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- Meyer, J. P., Allen, N. J., Smith, J., Commitment to organizations and occupations: Extensions and test of three component conceptualization. Journal Applied Psychology, Vol. 78, pp. 538-551, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.4.538
- Mathieu, J. E., Zasac, D. M., A review and meta-analysis of the antecedents, correlates, and consequences of organizational commitment. Psychological Bulletin, vol. 108, pp. 171-194, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.108.2.171
- Kanter, R. M., Commitment and Social Organization: A Study of Commitment Mechanisms in Utopian Communities. American Sociological Review, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 499-517, 1968. https://doi.org/10.2307/2092438
- Steers, R. M., Antecedents and Outcomes of Organizational Commitment. Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.2, pp. 46-56, 1977.
- Meyer, J. P., Allen, N. J., Commitment in the workplace: Theory, Research, and Application. SAGE, 1997
- Luthans, F., Organizational Behavior. NY: Mcgraw Hill, 1992.
- Buchanan, B., Building organizational commitment: The socialization of managers in work organization. Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 19, pp. 538-539, 1974.
- Chul-bu Huh, A study of organizational commitment: Theory and empirical method. Ph.D. dissertation, Chungang University, 1983.
- Dailey, R. C., Kirk, D. J., Distributive and procedural jjustice as antecedents of job dissatisfaction and intent to turnover. Human Relations, Vol. 45, pp. 305-317, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679204500306
- Kalshoven, K., Boon, C. T., Ethical leadership employee well-being, and helping. Journal of Personnel Psychology, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 60-68, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1027/1866-5888/a000056
- Allen, N. J., Meyer, J. P., The measurement and antecedents of affective, continuance and normative commitment to the organization. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 1-18, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1990.tb00506.x
- Mediating Effect of Psychological Empowerment on the Relationship of Middle Managers’ Authentic Leadership with the Staff’s Organizational Commitment and Job Satisfaction at the Local Medical Center vol.11, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2017.11.4.001