- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty: Early Outcome and Complication Report
- Park, Yong-Bok ;
- Jung, Sung-Weon ;
- Ryu, Ho-Young ;
- Hong, Jin-Ho ;
- Chae, Sang-Hoon ;
- Min, Kyoung-Bin ;
- Yoo, Jae-Chul
- Received : 2014.03.31
- Accepted : 2014.06.03
- Published : 2014.06.30
Background: Recently, reverse total shoulder arthroplasty (RTSA) has been accepted as a main treatment option in irreparable massive rotator cuff tear with cuff arthropathy. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the early complication incidence and the preliminary clinical results of RTSAs performed in single institute. Methods: Fifty-seven RTSAs (56 patients) were performed between April 2011 and March 2013. The indications for RTSA were cuff tear arthropathy and irreparable massive rotator cuff tear with or without pseudoparalysis. Exclusion criteria were revision, preoperative infections and fractures. At final follow-up, 45 shoulders were enrolled. Mean follow-up duration was 12.5 months (range, 6-27 months). The mean age at the time of surgery was 73.6 years (range, 58-87 years). All the patients were functionally accessed via Constant score, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES) score, pain and functional visual analogue scale (VAS) scores and active range of motion. Complications were documented as major and minor. Major complications include fractures, infections, dislocations, nerve palsies, aseptic loosening of humeral or glenoid components, or glenoid screw problems. Minor complications include radiographic scapular notching, hematomas, heterotopic ossification, algodystrophy, intraoperative dislocations, intraoperative cement extravasation, or radiographic lucent lines of the glenoid. Results: The mean Constant score increased from 31.4 to 53.8 (p < 0.001). The pain and functional VAS scores improved (5.2 to 2.7, p < 0.001, 4.0 to 6.7, p < 0.001) and active forward flexion improved from
- Boileau P, Watkinson D, Hatzidakis AM, Hovorka I. Neer Award 2005: The Grammont reverse shoulder prosthesis: results in cuff tear arthritis, fracture sequelae, and revision arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2006;15(5):527-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2006.01.003
- Gerber C, Pennington SD, Nyffeler RW. Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009;17(5):284-95.
- Grammont P, Trouilloud P, Laffay J, Deries X. Concept study and realization of a new total shoulder prosthesis. Rhumatologie. 1987;39:407-18.
- Zumstein MA, Pinedo M, Old J, Boileau P. Problems, complications, reoperations, and revisions in reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: a systematic review. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011;20(1):146-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2010.08.001
- Wierks C, Skolasky RL, Ji JH, McFarland EG. Reverse total shoulder replacement: intraoperative and early postoperative complications. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467(1):225-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-008-0406-1
- Goutallier D, Postel JM, Bernageau J, Lavau L, Voisin MC. Fatty muscle degeneration in cuff ruptures. Pre- and postoperative evaluation by CT scan. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;(304):78-83.
- Hamada K, Fukuda H, Mikasa M, Kobayashi Y. Roentgenographic findings in massive rotator cuff tears. A long-term observation. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1990;(254):92-6.
- Walch G, Edwards TB, Boulahia A, Nove-Josserand L, Neyton L, Szabo I. Arthroscopic tenotomy of the long head of the biceps in the treatment of rotator cuff tears: clinical and radiographic results of 307 cases. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005;14(3):238-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2004.07.008
- Constant CR, Murley AH. A clinical method of functional assessment of the shoulder. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1987;(214):160-4.
- Richards RR, An KN, Bigliani LU, et al. A standardized method for the assessment of shoulder function. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1994;3(6):347-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(09)80019-0
- Wall B, Nove-Josserand L, O'Connor DP, Edwards TB, Walch G. Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: a review of results according to etiology. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89(7):1476-85S. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.F.00666
- Boileau P, Watkinson DJ, Hatzidakis AM, Balg F. Grammont reverse prosthesis: design, rationale, and biomechanics. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005;14(1 Suppl S):147S-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2004.10.006
- Cheung E, Willis M, Walker M, Clark R, Frankle MA. Complications in reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2011;19(7):439-49.
- De Wilde LF, Audenaert EA, Berghs BM. Shoulder prostheses treating cuff tear arthropathy: a comparative biomechanical study. J Orthop Res. 2004;22(6):1222-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orthres.2004.03.010
- Boileau P, Moineau G, Roussanne Y, O’Shea K. Bony increased- offset reversed shoulder arthroplasty: minimizing scapular impingement while maximizing glenoid fixation. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011;469(9):2558-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-011-1775-4
- Herrmann S, König C, Heller M, Perka C, Greiner S. Reverse shoulder arthroplasty leads to significant biomechanical changes in the remaining rotator cuff. J Orthop Surg Res. 2011;6:42. https://doi.org/10.1186/1749-799X-6-42
- Virani NA, Harman M, Li K, Levy J, Pupello DR, Frankle MA. In vitro and finite element analysis of glenoid bone/baseplate interaction in the reverse shoulder design. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008;17(3):509-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2007.11.003
- Levy JC, Virani N, Pupello D, Frankle M. Use of the reverse shoulder prosthesis for the treatment of failed hemiarthroplasty in patients with glenohumeral arthritis and rotator cuff deficiency. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007;89(2):189-95.
- Werner CM, Steinmann PA, Gilbart M, Gerber C. Treatment of painful pseudoparesis due to irreparable rotator cuff dysfunction with the Delta III reverse-ball-and-socket total shoulder prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87(7):1476-86. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.D.02342
- Bufquin T, Hersan A, Hubert L, Massin P. Reverse shoulder arthroplasty for the treatment of three- and four-part fractures of the proximal humerus in the elderly: a prospective review of 43 cases with a short-term follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007;89(4):516-20.
- Tae SK, Rhee YG, Park TS, et al. The development and validation of an appraisal method for rotator cuff disorders: the Korean Shoulder Scoring System. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2009;18(5):689-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2008.11.019
- Sirveaux F, Favard L, Oudet D, Huquet D, Walch G, Molé D. Grammont inverted total shoulder arthroplasty in the treatment of glenohumeral osteoarthritis with massive rupture of the cuff. Results of a multicentre study of 80 shoulders. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004;86(3):388-95. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.86B3.14024
- Frankle M, Siegal S, Pupello D, Saleem A, Mighell M, Vasey M. The Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis for glenohumeral arthritis associated with severe rotator cuff deficiency. A minimum twoyear follow-up study of sixty patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87(8):1697-705. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.D.02813
- Groh GI, Groh GM. Complications rates, reoperation rates, and the learning curve in reverse shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014;23(3):388-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2013.06.002
- Nyffeler RW, Werner CM, Simmen BR, Gerber C. Analysis of a retrieved delta III total shoulder prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004;86(8):1187-91. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.86B8.15228
- Boulahia A, Edwards TB, Walch G, Baratta RV. Early results of a reverse design prosthesis in the treatment of arthritis of the shoulder in elderly patients with a large rotator cuff tear. Orthopedics. 2002;25(2):129-33.
- Simovitch RW, Zumstein MA, Lohri E, Helmy N, Gerber C. Predictors of scapular notching in patients managed with the Delta III reverse total shoulder replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89(3):588-600. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.F.00226
- Levigne C, Boileau P, Favard L, et al. Scapular notching in reverse shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008;17(6):925-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2008.02.010
- Falaise V, Levigne C, Favard L; SOFEC. Scapular notching in reverse shoulder arthroplasties: the influence of glenometaphyseal angle. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2011;97(6 Suppl):S131-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2011.06.007
- Deltoid muscle volume affects clinical outcome of reverse total shoulder arthroplasty in patients with cuff tear arthropathy or irreparable cuff tears vol.12, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0174361