- Volume 10 Issue 2
Physiological signals provide important clues in the diagnosis and prediction of disease. Analyzing these signals is important in health and medicine. In particular, data preprocessing for physiological signal analysis is a vital issue because missing values, noise, and outliers may degrade the analysis performance. In this paper, we propose PhysioCover, a system that can recover missing values of physiological signals that were monitored in real time. PhysioCover integrates a gradual method and EM-based Principle Component Analysis (PCA). This approach can (1) more readily recover long- and short-term missing data than existing methods, such as traditional EM-based PCA, linear interpolation, 5-average and Missing Value Singular Value Decomposition (MSVD), (2) more effectively detect hidden variables than PCA and Independent component analysis (ICA), and (3) offer fast computation time through real-time processing. Experimental results with the physiological data of an intensive care unit show that the proposed method assigns more accurate missing values than previous methods.
Intensive Care Unit;Missing Values;Hidden variable;Real Time Processing and EM-Principle Component Analysis
- I. Milovanovic and D. B. Popovic, "Principal Component Analysis of Gait Kinematics Data in Acute and Chronic Stroke Patients," Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 2012:649743, 2012, pp. 1-8.
- X. Wang, A. Li, Z. Jiang, and H. Feng, "Missing value estimation for DNA microarray gene expression data by support vector regression imputation and orthogonal coding scheme," BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 7:32, 2006, pp. 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2105-7-1
- G. N. Brock, J. R. Shaffer, R. E. Blakesley, M. J. Lotz, and G. C. Tseng, "Which missing value imputation method to use in expression profiles: a comparative study and two selection schemes," BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 9, 2008, pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2105-9-1
- S. Sharma, P. Lingras, and M. Zhong, "Effect of missing values estimations of traffic parameters," Transportation Planning and Technology, vol. 27, 2004, pp. 119-144. https://doi.org/10.1080/0308106042000218203
- J. Lee, and R. G. Mark, "An investigation of patterns in hemodynamic data indicative of impending hypotension in intensive care," BioMedical Engineering OnLin, vol. 9:62, 2010, pp. 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-925X-9-1
- M. P. S. Chawla, "Detection of Indeterminacies in Corrected ECG Signals Using Parameterized Multidimensional Independent Component Analysis," Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 10, 2009, pp. 85-115. https://doi.org/10.1080/17486700802193153
- X. Jiang, L. Zhang, Q. Zhao, and S. Albayrak, "ECG Arrhythmias Recognition System Based on Independent Component Analysis Feature Extraction," Proc. TENCON'06, 2006, pp. 1-4.
- F. Chiarugi, I. Karatzanis, V. Sakkalis, I. Tsamardinos, Th. Dermitzaki, M. Foukarakis, and G Vrouchos, "Predicting the Occurrence of Acute Hypotensive Episodes: The PhysioNet Challenge," Computers in Cardiology, vol. 36, 2009, pp. 621-624.
- J. Sun, S. Papadimitriou, and C. Faloutsos, "Online Latent Variable Detection in Sensor Networks," Proc. ICDE'05, 2005, pp. 1126-1127.
- J. Y. Pan, H. Kitagawa, M. Hamamoto, and C. Faloutsos, "AutoSplit: Fast and Scalable Discovery of Hidden Variables in Stream and Multimedia Databases," Proc. PAKDD'05, 2005, pp. 519-528.
- L. Zhao, T. Chai, and Q. Cong, "Operating Condition Recognition of Predenitrification Bioprocess Using Robust EMPCA and FCM," Proc. WCICA'06, 2006, pp. 9386-9390.
- O. Troyanskaya, M. Cantor, G. Sherlock, P. Brown, T. Hastie, R. Tibshirani, B. Botstein, and R. B. Altman, "Missing value estimation methods for DNA microarrays," Bioinformatics, vol. 17, 2001, pp. 520-525. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/17.6.520
- K. S. Ng, H. J. Yang, and S. H. Kim, "Hidden pattern discovery on event related potential EEG signals," Biosystems, vol. 97, 2009, pp. 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystems.2009.03.007
- X. T. Doan, R. Srinivasan, P. M. Bapat, and P. P. Wangikar, "Detection of phase shifts in batch fermentation via statistical analysis of the online measurements: A case study with rifamycin B fermentation," Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 132, 2007, pp. 156-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiotec.2007.06.013
- L. Lehman, M. Saeed, G. Moody, and R. Mark, "Similarity-based searching in multi-parameter time series databases," Computers in Cardiology, vol. 35, 2008, pp. 653-656.
- M. N. Norazian, Y. A. Shukri, R. N. Azam, and A. M. M. Al Bakri, "Estimation of missing values in air pollution data using single imputation techniques," ScienceAsia, vol. 34, 2008, pp. 341-345. https://doi.org/10.2306/scienceasia1513-1874.2008.34.341
- I. Stanimirova, M. Daszykowski, and B. Walczak, "Dealing with missing values and outliers in principal component analysis," Talanta, vol. 72, 2007, pp. 172-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2006.10.011
- F. Canento, A. Fred, H. Silva, H. Gamboa, and A. Lourenco, "Multimodal biosignal sensor data handling for emotion recognition," Proc. IEEE Sensors, 2011, pp. 647-650.
- S. Chiappa and D. Barber, "EEG classification using generative independent component analysis," Neurocomputing, vol. 69, 2006, pp. 769-777. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2005.12.028
- T. Rocha, S. Paredes, P.D. Carvalho, and J. Henriques, "Prediction of acute hypotensive episodes by means of neural network multi-models," Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 41, 2011, pp. 881-890. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compbiomed.2011.07.006
- J. Henriques and T. Rocha, "Prediction of acute hypotensive episodes using neural network multi-models," Computers in Cardiology, vol. 36, 2009, pp. 549-552.
- J. Paalasmaa, D. J. Murphy, and O. Holmqvist, "Analysis of Noisy Biosignals for musical performance," Proc. IDA'12, 2012, pp. 241-252.
- X. Chen, D. Xu, G. Zhang, and R. Mukkamala, "Forecasting acute hypotensive episodes in intensive care patients based on a peripheral arterial blood pressure waveform," Computers in Cardiology, vol. 36, 2009, pp. 545-548.
- S. Papadimitriou, J. Sun, and C. Faloutsos, "Streaming Pattern Discovery in Multiple Time-Series," Proc. VLDB'05, 2005, pp. 697-708.
- E. Adams, B. Walczak, C. Vervaet, P. G. Risha, and D. L. Massart, "Principal component analysis of dissolution data with missing elements," International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 234, 2002, pp. 169-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5173(01)00966-8
- S. Roweis, "EM algorithms for PCA and SPCA," Proc. NIPS'97, 1997, pp. 626-632.
- L. Smith, A Tutorial on Principal Components Analysis, Cornell University, USA, 2002.
- Machine Learning and Decision Support in Critical Care vol.104, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2014.10.2.047