- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Proposing the Model of a Storytelling-based Smart Board Game for Children - Case Study of the Game Development Process for Go! Space Express
Han, Hye-Won;Kim, Seo-Yeon;Song, Se-Jin
- Received : 2014.04.15
- Accepted : 2014.06.10
- Published : 2014.06.28
This paper aims to propose the educational concept and design model of a Smart Board Game appropriate for lower elementary grade students. The Smart Board Game refers to a hybrid, or 'convergent', game format based on the offline format of the conventional board game augmented through the use of smart devices. The substantive aspects of this game format utilize the procedural deduction and problem-solving skills applicable in storytelling methodologies and games, in order to generate and propose contents ideal for the educational environment. The development of the Smart Board Game is conducted through the following stages. First, the study analyzes a number of Smart Board Games currently popular in Korea and abroad, based on identification of the key components and processes of the board game format. The subsequent review of the science curriculum for lower elementary grades aims to determine the aspects conducive for application to Smart Board Games. Lastly, the theoretical framework outlined through the previous stages is used as the basis for the proposal of a detailed model of contents for the smart board game concept.
Smart Board Game;Storytelling;Board Game Design;Gamification;Edutainment
- S. J. Lim and J. W. Lee, "A Model of an Educational Board Game for Young Children," The Children's Media Studies, vol. 4, Dec. 2005, pp. 205-221
- M. Allen, "Tangible Interfaces in Smart Toys," Toys, games, an media, Routledge, London, 2004, pp. 179-180.
- T. L. Taior, "Does World of Warcraft Change Everything? How a PvP Server, Multinational Player Base, and Surveillance Mod Scene Caused Me Pause," Digital Culture, Play, and Identity, The MIT Press, Cambridge, 2008, p. 187.
- H. S. Lee, A Study of Education Game Platform Based on Augmented Reality, Master's Dissertation, The Graduate School of Sejong University, 2008.
- M. R. Kwon and J. I. Kim, "Using Augmented Reality Programs For Children Proposed Research Model," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 2, Feb. 2012, pp. 866-871. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.2.866
- B. Alexander, The New Digital Storytelling, Praeger, Connectiut, 2011, p. 8.
- J. Howar, Quest, CRC Press, Florida, 2008, p. 11.
- J. P. Ge, Good videogames and good learning, Peter Lang Publishing, New York, 2007, p. 130.
- N. Frye, Anatomy of Criticism (Updated edition), Princeton University Pres, Princeton, 2000.
- H. W. Han and M. S. Ryu, "Analysis of Story-Retelling Structure in Digital Storytelling Applications for Infants," KCA Thesis Journal, vol. 13, no. 5, May. 2013, pp. 146-158.
- Z. Q. Ziang and D. H. Lee, "Exploring New System of China Digital Media Design Related Undergraduate Education," IJoC, vol. 6, no. 1, Mar. 2010, pp. 35-40.
- J. M. Yang and J. C. Park, "A Study on Platform Development for Web 2.0-based e-Learning," IJoC, vol. 5, no. 1, Mar. 2009, pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2009.5.1.001
- S. H. Yun and S. H. Ahn, "Designing storytelling of edutainment using animation," Proc. KCA Symposium'07 Fall, vol. 5, no. 2, 2007, pp. 622-626.
- H. W. Han and M. S. Ryu, "Interactive Storytelling of Visual Encyclopedia Applications," Journal of Korean Society For Computer Game, vol. 26, no. 4, Dec. 2013, pp. 49-58.
- M. H. Cha, "The Elementary course Mission Adventure Education Game Development the Creativity Improvement," Journal of Korean Society For Computer Game, vol. 19, Dec. 2009, pp. 227-233.
- E. S. Cho, "Design & development of e-learning game contents in elementary math class," Proc. KCA Symposium'06 Spring, vol. 4, no. 1, 2006, pp. 35-38.
- K. M. Kapp, The Gamification of Learning and Instruction, Wiley, USA, 2012, pp. 9-12.
- C. G. Park, Developmet of Board Games on Learning Biology and Evaluation of its Educational Efffects, Master's Dissertation, Korea National University of Education, 2010.
- S. H. Ahn and S. M. Song, "Edutainment Contents' type & development view," KCA Thesis Journal, vol. 6, no. 3, Sep. 2008, pp. 72-86.
- Korea Foundation for the Advancement of Science and Creativity, http://steam.kofac.re.kr/
- S. K. Yoon, M. J. Kim, and J. H, Choi, "Effects of Digital Textbook's Interactivity on the Learning Attitude," KCA Thesis Journal, vol. 14, no. 2, Mar. 2014, pp. 205-222.
- Y. R. Lee and Y. H. Lim, "HTML5-based Mobile Web Capture Video Learning System," KCA Thesis Journal, vol. 13, no. 2, Jun. 2013, pp. 8-18.